‘Hero’ Bystander Shot Cop-Killer Dead — And Was Then Killed By Another Officer, Police Say

Johnny Hurley shot a man who killed a cop in Denver. He was holding the suspect’s AR-15 when another responding officer shot him dead, police said.

DENVER (AP) — Johnny Hurley was hailed by police as a hero for shooting and killing a gunman they say had killed one officer and expressed hatred for police in a Denver suburb.

But when another officer rushed in to respond and saw Hurley holding the suspect’s AR-15, he shot Hurley, killing him, police revealed Friday.

The disclosure helped clarify what happened on Monday when three people — Hurley, Arvada Police Officer Gordon Beesley and the suspected gunman, Ronald Troyke — died in a string of shootings in the historic downtown district of Arvada, an area with popular shops, restaurants, breweries and other businesses about 7 miles (10 kilometers) northwest of downtown Denver.

According to a timeline and video released by police, Troyke, 59, ambushed Beesley after he pulled his truck into a parking spot near Beesley’s patrol car as Beesley was responding to a report of a suspicious person.

The video shows Troyke running toward Beesley down an alley. When Beesley turns around, Troyke raises his gun and fires at him as two people stand nearby, police said. Beesley falls to the ground in the video.

According to the video, apparently from a surveillance camera, and a police narration of it, Troyke grabs an AR-15 rifle from his truck and is carrying it when Hurley confronts him and shoots him with a handgun. When another officer arrives, Hurley is holding Troyke’s AR-15 and the officer opened fire, police said.

‘Hero’ Bystander Shot Cop-Killer Dead — And Was Then Killed By Another Officer, Police Say

Wow, what a sad story. Good guy with a gun killed by police. What do you think?

That's something. Will it discourage people from getting involved in the future? A

horrific ending for two guys who were defending the public from danger and both unnecessarily met an early demise.

It definitely says something about private citizens carrying guns - but I'll leave that to others to comment on. I have visualized such scenarios many times - which is one of the reasons I don't carry a gun in public.
I carry a gun in public and no one knows I do.

I carry for self defense not for the defense of other people. The way I see it if you choose not to carry a gun and would rather place your well being into the hands of a state or city employee then I'll respect your choice and not draw my weapon in order to save your ass.

Back to the bad old days.

“Because there’s no body cams, we have to rely on the word of all the cops, which takes us back to the bad old days,” Lane said. “Cops would test a lie in court all the time, and there’s no way to disprove it. Body cameras would tell us, ‘was this a reasonable act by a cop or a trigger act by a cop that got scared?'”

Arvada police didn’t see need for body cameras. But they could have helped show what happened in Olde Town.

There generally isn't a need for something until there is a need.

My life experien
He said, "Listen, cops have guns, and they will shoot you dead if they think that's what needs to happen. The only thing you should worry about, when dealing with the police, is surviving the encounter. You can debate your rights later."
My father said something similar. The police are in control. Don't hassle or disobey them.
Take your problems up later with authorities, if a

He said, "Listen, cops have guns, and they will shoot you dead if they think that's what needs to happen. The only thing you should worry about, when dealing with the police, is surviving the encounter. You can debate your rights later."
My father said something similar. The police are in control. Don't hassle or disobey them.
Take your problems up later with authorities, if any.
My life experience agrees. Always cooperate with the cops, let the lawyers sort it out later in a courtroom. Arguing or fighting with a cop is always a losing proposition. Calm and reason go a long way in resolving problems without arrests or violence.

which is one of the reasons I don't carry a gun in public.
Carrying a gun in public isn’t the issue – the issue is the stupidity of those who use a gun to defend oneself or others.
What a surprise, lefties are upset the cop-killer was shot dead by a citizen, and they are happy an armed citizen got shot by cops.

God you people are sick.
What a surprise....trump fluffers are no longer all about "Blue Lives Matter".
I don't know about "Trump Fluffers" but this guy clearly ignored training he must have received.

Your weapon is for YOUR protection ONLY. After a shooting, holster your weapon and give no reason for anyone to think you are hostile.

Police could use MUCH better training, obviously. No question there.

Are you calling this event "murder" like you would if it were an "innocent" black dude?

My life experien
Take your problems up later with authorities, if a

Take your problems up later with authorities, if any.
My life experience agrees. Always cooperate with the cops, let the lawyers sort it out later in a courtroom. Arguing or fighting with a cop is always a losing proposition. Calm and reason go a long way in resolving problems without arrests or violence.

NO, never allow a cop to violate your civil rights. The answer here is to throw them in prison until they stop.

which is one of the reasons I don't carry a gun in public.
Carrying a gun in public isn’t the issue – the issue is the stupidity of those who use a gun to defend oneself or others.
So you don’t believe in self defense or helping others in serious danger. Obviously if you would never use a gun to defend yourself it is foolish to own one let alone carry one.

Often since co-workers knew I enjoyed target shooting handguns they would ask my advice on what firearm to buy.

I would first ask them if they were willing to shoot someone knowing they might kill them?

Would you at least try to help someone in danger? Let‘s say you happened to witness a rape in progress.

But when another officer rushed in to respond ....................

Yeah, the guy likely had all day to pull out his cell phone and do all of this
If there were already other officers on the scene he was wrong to have pulled his gun out to begin with. ESPECIALLY if he hadn’t been able to identify himself to the officers ahead of time.

He did EXACTLY what proponents of carry argue for. Besides, he was shot for taking the gun of the other guy. You don't want to leave it with him not knowing if he is actually dead or not.

No...actually, we don't advocate for what he did, you moron. You put your foot on it so he can't grab it.

This is such an obviously inevitable outcome that the only surprise is its rarity.

This is such an obviously inevitable outcome that the only surprise is its rarity.

Actually, no, it isn't....

At the giffords shooting, two armed citizens with their guns out...not shot by police.

The Dallas police shooting, the shooter a supporter of black lives matter......an entire crowd of people with hand guns on their hips and rifles on slings...when the black lives matter shooter started murdering police, none of the armed citizens was shot by the police...

You guys pull crap out of your ass and try to sell it as the truth...

Forum List

Back