Herman Cain: God Convinced Me To Run For President

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
I'm curious as to what people make of this claim?

Former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain says that God told him to run for president, National Journal reports.

"I prayed and prayed and prayed," Cain told about 100 members of the Georgia Young Republicans in Atlanta on Saturday. "I'm a man of faith, I had to do a lot of praying for this one, more praying than I'd ever done before in my life. And when I finally realized that it was God saying that this is what I needed to do, I was like Moses. 'You've got the wrong man, Lord. Are you sure?'"

Cain isn't the only Republican candidate who says God convinced them to run, however.

In May, before officially announcing her candidacy, Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) said that she felt a "calling" to seek the GOP nomination.

Former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain says that God told him to run for president, National Journal reports.

"I prayed and prayed and prayed," Cain told about 100 members of the Georgia Young Republicans in Atlanta on Saturday. "I'm a man of faith, I had to do a lot of praying for this one, more praying than I'd ever done before in my life. And when I finally realized that it was God saying that this is what I needed to do, I was like Moses. 'You've got the wrong man, Lord. Are you sure?'"

Cain isn't the only Republican candidate who says God convinced them to run, however.

In May, before officially announcing her candidacy, Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) said that she felt a "calling" to seek the GOP nomination.

I wish God would make up his mind

Does he want Bachmann or Cain?

This needs to be settled at the next debate once and for all!

Hey, rdean always has something fun and interesting to say in these sort of threads. Politicians bringing faith into the mix is ridiculous...and no doubt rdean is embarrassed by FDR's D-Day Prayer.

The History Place - Great Speeches Collection: President Franklin Roosevelt Speech D-Day Prayer

The difference is that FDR actually meant it. It wasn't a cynical pander to a goofy part of his base that apparently hasn't read their own instruction manuel.

Well if you want to believe that FDR didn't pander, like all other politicians, then have at it.:lol:

Some have faith and heed the call...no matter what you call it. I suppose this too is supposed to disqualify Cain as well?

Mock much?

Hey, rdean always has something fun and interesting to say in these sort of threads. Politicians bringing faith into the mix is ridiculous...and no doubt rdean is embarrassed by FDR's D-Day Prayer.

The History Place - Great Speeches Collection: President Franklin Roosevelt Speech D-Day Prayer

The difference is that FDR actually meant it. It wasn't a cynical pander to a goofy part of his base that apparently hasn't read their own instruction manuel.

Well if you want to believe that FDR didn't pander, like all other politicians, then have at it.:lol:

Oh, he certainly pandered.

Just not about religion.

The cynical religious pandering in American politics is a recent rebirth that came about with the rise of the Moral Majority and the Pat Robertson campaign.

Just not about religion.

The cynical religious pandering in American politics is a recent rebirth that came about with the rise of the Moral Majority and the Pat Robertson campaign.
He Justified his FAITH in something higher than himself. And this bothers you?

HOW>?

Just not about religion.

Yeah right, they invented religious pandering...hilarious. FDR was a smart man.:D

Some have faith and heed the call...no matter what you call it. I suppose this too is supposed to disqualify Cain as well?

Mock much?

"Heed the call"?

Both Bachmann and Cain believe God chose them apparently.

So, if they lose (and Bachman certainly will) does that say something about God?

Or is it more practical to believe the actual words that are in the bible?

Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world."

John 18:36 Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."
Render unto Caesar... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

As I said, people should read their own bibles before falling for such sillyness.

I think God likes Michele Bachmann more than Herman Cain

Is there any way to poll God?

Mock much?

"Heed the call"?

Both Bachmann and Cain believe God chose them apparently.

So, if they lose (and Bachman certainly will) does that say something about God?

Or is it more practical to believe the actual words that are in the bible?

Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world."

John 18:36 Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."
Render unto Caesar... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

As I said, people should read their own bibles before falling for such sillyness.
The funny thing is? IT bothers YOU.

People belive in something higher than themselves. WHY does it bother you so?

Just not about religion.

Yeah right, they invented religious pandering...hilarious. FDR was a smart man.:D

They didn't invent it. William Jennings Bryan was dead before Robertson was born. They just re-introduced it into American politics.

You can dismiss what I say if you want, but it's the truth. Look at the quantifiable rhetoric about religion and faith in elections prior to Jerry Fallwell's involvement in politics.

Just not about religion.

They didn't invent it. William Jennings Bryan was dead before Robertson was born. They just re-introduced it into American politics.

You can dismiss what I say if you want, but it's the truth. Look at the quantifiable rhetoric about religion and faith in elections prior to Jerry Fallwell's involvement in politics.
It Never left politics from the Founding.

The funny thing is? IT bothers YOU.

People belive in something higher than themselves. WHY does it bother you so?

Because neither Hermann Cain or Michelle Bachmann own the notion of God.

I don't care about their personal beliefs. I care that they are so brazen as to claim that God has told them to be President. I guess Bachmann wants to elevate herself on the same platform as David.

It's okay, judgement is reserved for those that use God to try to gain earthly power and wealth.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back