Here's my top 10 all time American hits play list

The Beatles probably have at least 10 of the top 20. I enjoyed all their music, but Harrison’s songs stood out for me.

1 These Arms of Mine Otis Reading.

2 Heard it Through the Grapevine. Marvin Gaye

3 Hey Joe Jimmie Hendrix

4 Unknown Soldier Doors

5 Sexual Healing Marvin Gaye

6 When a Man...... Percy Sledge

7 Dead Mans Blues Betty Smith

8 Creeque Alley Mamma's & Papas

9 Times they are a Bob Dylan

10 School Days Louden Wainwright

What ta think?
Wow, some great music there! I'm a fan of ALL of these musicians' music. Did you mean BETSY Smith for "Dead Man's Blues"? Her music is just fantastic. I haven't heard that particular song by Wainwright, I'll have to look it up.
Yea sorry Betsy Smith I had her on Blues albums from the 1930's but my brother nicked them.
Thanks for clearing that up. Too bad your brother nicked the albums from you. She was and IS just a great vocalist, it's a shame she died at such a young age. She's my choice for all-time best female blues vocalist. My choice for all-time best female soul and r&b vocalist is Aretha Franklin. My choice for all-time best male blues vocalist is the incomparable Muddy Waters, and my choice for all-time best male soul and r&b vocalist is Otis Redding, with Marvin Gaye a close second.

The Beatles probably have at least 10 of the top 20. I enjoyed all their music, but Harrison’s songs stood out for me.
I can't actually remember what Harrison wrote..........thought most were written by Lennon & MCartney....... Ah yea "My Sweet Lord" made number 1 in the UK!
Yep! And "My Sweet Lord" is definitely one of my favorites by UK artists.

3 Hey Joe Jimmie Hendrix

4 Unknown Soldier Doors

What ta think?
Wow, some great music there! I'm a fan of ALL of these musicians' music. Did you mean BETSY Smith for "Dead Man's Blues"? Her music is just fantastic. I haven't heard that particular song by Wainwright, I'll have to look it up.
Yea sorry Betsy Smith I had her on Blues albums from the 1930's but my brother nicked them.
Thanks for clearing that up. Too bad your brother nicked the albums from you. She was and IS just a great vocalist, it's a shame she died at such a young age. She's my choice for all-time best female blues vocalist. My choice for all-time best female soul and r&b vocalist is Aretha Franklin. My choice for all-time best male blues vocalist is the incomparable Muddy Waters, and my choice for all-time best male soul and r&b vocalist is Otis Redding, with Marvin Gaye a close second.
Hmm that's a really tough one. Janis Joplin, Billie Holliday but I think I would have to give it to a very recent British artist Amy Winehouse simply because she also wrote all her own material.
Really strange all three died at around 27 in similar circumstances though I think Billie Holliday was a bit older.

I can't actually remember what Harrison wrote..........thought most were written by Lennon & MCartney....... Ah yea "My Sweet Lord" made number 1 in the UK!
While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of the greatest. Those opening cords are just awesome.

Something and Here Comes the Sun are great too.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of the greatest. Those opening cords are just awesome.

Something and Here Comes the Sun are great too.
Yep, it IS a great song. And the other two are, as well.

3 Hey Joe Jimmie Hendrix

4 Unknown Soldier Doors

What ta think?
Hmm that's a really tough one. Janis Joplin, Billie Holliday but I think I would have to give it to a very recent British artist Amy Winehouse simply because she also wrote all her own material.
Really strange all three died at around 27 in similar circumstances though I think Billie Holliday was a bit older.
I DO like Amy Winehouse's voice. VERY bluesy and very emotive.

3 Hey Joe Jimmie Hendrix

4 Unknown Soldier Doors

What ta think?
Amy was great. So sad that that talent killed itself. Billie Eilish reminds me of her.

New Topics

Forum List

Back