Here is one area where I disagree with the political Right

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

AMTRAK loses money. So what? All mass transit loses money. But they are a PUBLIC BENEFIT that are a necessary component to a successful, mobile society. ALL of the countries in Western Europe and Asia that we "admire" have passenger rail service that makes ours look third world. It is an embarrassment.

A big city that does not have good mass transit is not a good city. You have to be able to get around without your own car. It's as simple as that. And the same thing applies to a country that doesn't have good, inexpensive passenger rail.

AMTRAK has its issues. Maybe it is not as well run as it could be. But to whine that it is losing money is just stupid. It is a public benefit that should be happily and well subsidized.

I love trains. If I could board and depart an Amtrak train anywhere near where I am and where I want to go to visit friends and relatives around America, I would. But Amtrak stations are few and far between, and the cost of travel is double and triple of any other means. They lose money because no one rides it because it's too damn expensive and it's inconvenient.

AMTRAK loses money. So what? All mass transit loses money. But they are a PUBLIC BENEFIT that are a necessary component to a successful, mobile society. ALL of the countries in Western Europe and Asia that we "admire" have passenger rail service that makes ours look third world. It is an embarrassment.

A big city that does not have good mass transit is not a good city. You have to be able to get around without your own car. It's as simple as that. And the same thing applies to a country that doesn't have good, inexpensive passenger rail.

AMTRAK has its issues. Maybe it is not as well run as it could be. But to whine that it is losing money is just stupid. It is a public benefit that should be happily and well subsidized.
This guy wanted to produce record players ffs!

Amtrak loses money because of the Unions

I don't care about Shit Holes anymore. Let them walk in fear of getting beaten with a baseball bat. Keeps you alert.

I used to take Amtrak from DC to NYC and back. I never had much of a problem with them. Amtrak from where I live now has a worse record. We only get two trains a day though--1 northbound and 1 south bound. I would benefit more from being on an east-west line now but those are not a big priority on the east coast. I would travel to Nashville and Memphis a lot more often if there was train service that didn't have me doing connectors out of Alabama or Indiana to get there.

I am not so sure that their on-time records are really a fair metric to measure their performance considering there is a train-vehicle collision about once every 5 minutes in the US. In addition, to keep costs down, the line we are on only has double tracks every other 5 miles, so if another train has to stop on one of the single track sections due to mechanical issues or an accident, it throws the entire line into shutdown mode.

Anyway, it would be nice if they had more competition. Regular intrastate passenger rail would also be a good thing for states to look into.

I love trains. If I could board and depart an Amtrak train anywhere near where I am and where I want to go to visit friends and relatives around America, I would. But Amtrak stations are few and far between, and the cost of travel is double and triple of any other means. They lose money because no one rides it because it's too damn expensive and it's inconvenient.

Amtrak doesn't maintain routes between Shitbird and Bumfuck. You can always drive to the big city to find a boarding station for a future trip. Start saving your money now and by summer you'll be riding the rails.

I'd rather take a train than a jet any day.

If gas prices get as high as they claim they will AMTRAK will look like a bargain..

Not that much of a bargain. The closest Amtrak station here is about an hour away in the tremendous city of Alliance and only has 2 trains a day at 1:40 and 3 a.m. And it only works out if you are going to Chicago or Washington DC.

Maybe if Amtrak would expand over the whole country provide frequent and inexpensive service, it would have more appeal to the people

We give 5 billion dollars a year to Amtrak, most of that money goes the worthless fucking union, who employees are lazy fucks, who do a shitty job keeping their cars workable. I know, i had to ride it a few times from DC to Manassas Va. The cars cant even be cleaned, because that would take work, while the VRE all the cars were well kept. Fuck Amtrak...

If gas prices get as high as they claim they will AMTRAK will look like a bargain..

Not that much of a bargain. The closest Amtrak station here is about an hour away in the tremendous city of Alliance and only has 2 trains a day at 1:40 and 3 a.m. And it only works out if you are going to Chicago or Washington DC.

Maybe if Amtrak would expand over the whole country provide frequent and inexpensive service, it would have more appeal to the people
If Amtrak did that, wouldnt it mean cutting through a lot of forested areas for that expansion? So much for green....

Forum List

Back