Here Comes The Clay Pigeon?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NTA3Mzg4YWZkMzliODI3MWQwMjM0Y2UwYTgwMDdiODg=

The Circus Is Back in Town [Jim Geraghty]

The resumption of debate on the immigration bill is two hours late. A GOP Hill source says that this reflects that the "clay pigeon" – the agreed list of 24 amendments known only to Reid and McConnell and the grand bargainers – is still being finished. Right up to the cloture-to-bring-back-the-bill vote today, supporters were wheeling and dealing, trying to ensure "aye" votes by promising senators that their particular amendments would be included. Now the revamped list of amendments — 300 pages long, nearly as long as the bill itself — has to be cleaned up and retyped (so that it isn't quite so obvious which senators were brought on board with amendment promises).

The messy horse-trading represents, the source claims, "the worst of the Congressional sausage factory."

06/26 04:32 PM

Ah yes, our elected officials working hard to legitimize their gross failures. Rather than enforce laws that have been on the books for decades, they turned their heads and looked the other way, ignoring the voice of the people who elected them, until such a time that the situation is percieved to be impossible to manage. Twenty years ago Reagan granted amnesty to millions of illegal aliens, we were told then that things would be different, laws would be enforced. Bush did nothing, Clinton did nothing, now Bush is doing even less to enforce our laws and secure our borders. I can hardly wait to see what happens in another twenty years.

Lie to me! Lie to me!

Impeach Congress!

Ah yes, our elected officials working hard to legitimize their gross failures. Rather than enforce laws that have been on the books for decades, they turned their heads and looked the other way, ignoring the voice of the people who elected them, until such a time that the situation is percieved to be impossible to manage. Twenty years ago Reagan granted amnesty to millions of illegal aliens, we were told then that things would be different, laws would be enforced. Bush did nothing, Clinton did nothing, now Bush is doing even less to enforce our laws and secure our borders. I can hardly wait to see what happens in another twenty years.

Lie to me! Lie to me!

Impeach Congress!

More should be coming.

More should be coming.

They'll keep coming because they know that all they have to do is avoid an already overworked and understaffed immigration and legal system for a few years and they will get a free pass to becoming a citizen in one of the greatest countries on the planet. No other country handles their immigration the way we do. None.

They'll keep coming because they know that all they have to do is avoid an already overworked and understaffed immigration and legal system for a few years and they will get a free pass to becoming a citizen in one of the greatest countries on the planet. No other country handles their immigration the way we do. None.

No, it's worse than that. They make our cynicism look like belief:

Right now:

http://michellemalkin.com/2007/06/26/shamnesty-on-the-senate-floor-afternoon-edition/

4:37pm Eastern. Here’s what I’m hearing from several Hill sources…

The so-called “Clay Pigeon” amendment, 300-plus pages, is still being drafted. Reviewing it will be impossible. No one has read it through. Thank your Senate GOP leadership for that. The amendment buyoffs are frantically underway. Rumors that the amendment is being re-drafted to include a deal cut with one senator who threw the pro-amnesty forces a cloture vote.

Also hearing: “The move to put the Senate in recess was preemptive on Reid’s part. Putting the Senate in recess ensures that bill opponents cannot seek recognition on the Senate floor and thereby offer amendments or opposes the bill in any way. In sum, it is just one more tool Reid is using to silence dissent. So there you have it. The Senate is closed on a Tuesday afternoon on a day when we are dealing with the massive-in-scope immigration ‘reform’ bill.”

This stinks. Make sure the White House, RNC, and NRSC know it.

3:43pm Eastern update. Thought you’d be interested in this e-mail from Heidi H.:

Hi Michelle,

I just got off the phone with NRSC, where it took ~10 minutes for someone to answer my call.

I told the woman who answered that she should add 4 former donors to her list in OK and CO among my family members, and alert Ensign that his cloture vote today (as NRSC chairman) sealed the deal.

She sounded exhausted, and told me that their director is compiling a spreadsheet of all callers by state and the number of donors they’ve lost today.

Sounds like it’s a large number, and if there are any current NRSC donors out there who can’t stomach it after today, I’m sure the NRSC workers would like to hear from them.

It appears that the NRSC rank and file are against Shamnesty, too–be nice, because they hate this as much as we do!

National Republican Senatorial Committee
Ronald Reagan Republican Center
425 2nd Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
Telephone: (202) 675-6000​

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDU1MDkzNTZkNjg0YjU0ZWE0Yjg2ZWEyZWIwNmYwNTM=

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Democracy at Work [Rich Lowry]

A Senate source e-mails:

Right now, the United States Senate stands in recess... WHY? Because the Grand Bargainers (and make no mistake about who these folks are - Republicans hell bent on getting the deal done... ) are working to finalize a 300 plus page amendment (yes I said over 300 pages) which we have not even seen yet. Copies may appear sometime soon, but "only for the Grand Bargainers" until a little later...

If ever there is a time for Senators to be specifically put on the spot for a breach of faith with the American public, it is now... the process is terrible, the substance is terrible and if you think for a minute we should rely on the House of Representatives to stop the bill, think again.

06/26 04:45 PM

Don't you just love the way they represent us? I'd like to be able to say that I don't believe this is happening, but I know better. Now we just wait and watch.

and more:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NWQxNDI4ZmJlYTczZjg3MmJkZDQxN2RhM2FkYmZjNmY=

Senate Leader [Kate O'Beirne]

A veteran Senate aide reminded me that the essential function/core responsibility of a Senate majority or minority leader is to represent his party on procedural issues. This responsibility doesn't rest with other members of the party's Senate leadership. Speaking for his party on procedural issues defines the job of a Senate leader. A majority of Republican senators voted against cloture and Senator McConnell voted on the other side. Apparently, that's unprecedented.

06/26 05:04 PM

Don't you just love the way they represent us? I'd like to be able to say that I don't believe this is happening, but I know better. Now we just wait and watch.
We should not just wait and watch. That's what the pro amnesty forces are hoping for. The only thing that would get the attention of our representatives in Washington would be a gigantic anti illegal immigration protest march. No amount of blogging or individual emails to complain will cut it. Such stuff will be ignored. If we wait to vote the pro amnesty people out of office, it will be too late. However, if hundreds of thousands (maybe more would be needed) of people show up in Washington to protest amnesty and the protection of business interests looking for cheap exploitable labor, then there might be some chance of blocking Bush-Kennedy-McCain illegal alien amnesty. Our representatives in Washington need to understand that we want border security and our current laws enforced. We will have to show up in Washington to tell them so. After the drive for illegal alien amnesty fails, then we can vote our representatives out of office for not listening to us in the first place.

We should not just wait and watch. That's what the pro amnesty forces are hoping for. The only thing that would get the attention of our representatives in Washington would be a gigantic anti illegal immigration protest march. No amount of blogging or individual emails to complain will cut it. Such stuff will be ignored. If we wait to vote the pro amnesty people out of office, it will be too late. However, if hundreds of thousands (maybe more would be needed) of people show up in Washington to protest amnesty and the protection of business interests looking for cheap exploitable labor, then there might be some chance of blocking Bush-Kennedy-McCain illegal alien amnesty. Our representatives in Washington need to understand that we want border security and our current laws enforced. We will have to show up in Washington to tell them so. After the drive for illegal alien amnesty fails, then we can vote our representatives out of office for not listening to us in the first place.

A recent poll shows only 22% supported this amnesty bill, yet members on both sides went out of their way to pass it

I would like to know why

A recent poll shows only 22% supported this amnesty bill, yet members on both sides went out of their way to pass it

I would like to know why
That's right, RSR. Following is the poll:

Just 22% Favor Stalled Immigration Bill
Monday, June 25, 2007

Complete article: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/just_22_favor_stalled_immigration_bill

As the Senate prepares to resume debate the “comprehensive” immigration reform bill, the legislation continues to face broad public opposition. In fact, despite a massive White House effort, public opinion has barely moved since the public uproar stalled the bill just over two weeks ago.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that just 22% of American voters currently favor the legislation. That’s down a point from 23% a couple of weeks ago and down from 26% when the debate in the Senate began. Fifty percent (50%) oppose the Senate bill while 28% are not sure.

Among the public, there is a bi-partisan lack of enthusiasm for the Senate bill. It is supported by 22% of Republicans, 23% of Democrats, and 22% of those not affiliated with either major party. It is opposed by 52% of Republicans, 50% of Democrats, and 48% of unaffiliateds.

From an ideological perspective, the bill is opposed by 59% of conservatives, 54% of liberals, and 45% of political moderates. Among those for whom none of the traditional ideological labels apply, just 20% are opposed.

Both parties are screwing us

Attachments

• $At the Arch.jpg
    $At the Arch.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 78
  • $Big Wave.jpg
    $Big Wave.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 37
I would like to know why
There are a lot of reasons, but the one that is most disturbing is the power of the pro illegal immigration business lobby in Washington: http://www.uschamber.com/issues/index/immigration/default. I am pro business, e.g., I favor lower taxes, less regulation, etc. However, I am against the creation of a cheap alien labor pool that will be exploited by business. Who is going to pay for all the health care that these $7 per hour workers will not be able to afford? Who is going to pay for the education of the children of $7 per hour workers? They will pay next to nothing in taxes. The business lobby wants a "comprehensive" amnesty bill because they know that it will not be their businesses that are called on to provide health plans for the cheap alien labor pool. What about all the low income workers who are American citizens? How will their wages ever improve when the nation is flooded with cheap alien labor? As long as the supply of cheap labor remains high, wages will remain low. The business lobby effort to get the amnesty bill passed is cynical and selfish. It is disturbing to hear Bush say that cheap alien labor does the jobs that Americans do not want to perform. That is distorted spin for media consumption. The truth is that cheap alien labor does the jobs that Americans do not want to perform for a pathetic $7 per hour.

There are a lot of reasons, but the one that is most disturbing is the power of the pro illegal immigration business lobby in Washington: http://www.uschamber.com/issues/index/immigration/default. I am pro business, e.g., I favor lower taxes, less regulation, etc. However, I am against the creation of a cheap alien labor pool that will be exploited by business. Who is going to pay for all the health care that these $7 per hour workers will not be able to afford? Who is going to pay for the education of the children of $7 per hour workers? They will pay next to nothing in taxes. The business lobby wants a "comprehensive" amnesty bill because they know that it will not be their businesses that are called on to provide health plans for the cheap alien labor pool. What about all the low income workers who are American citizens? How will their wages ever improve when the nation is flooded with cheap alien labor? As long as the supply of cheap labor remains high, wages will remain low. The business lobby effort to get the amnesty bill passed is cynical and selfish. It is disturbing to hear Bush say that cheap alien labor does the jobs that Americans do not want to perform. That is distorted spin for media consumption. The truth is that cheap alien labor does the jobs that Americans do not want to perform for a pathetic $7 per hour.

They can try to spin it anyway they want, but this bill carries a huge price tag

Immigration Bill Hides $1 Trillion Time Bomb

Dave Eberhart, NewsMax
Monday, June 18, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The immigration bill being debated by the Senate would allow more than 2 million illegal workers who received Social Security numbers prior to 2004 to receive more than $966 billion in Social Security benefits by 2040, warns the Senior Citizens League, a 1.2 million-member nonpartisan seniors' advocacy organization based in Alexandria, Va.

Despite a provision in the bill that would prevent individuals who performed illegal work and then obtained a Social Security number after 2007 from receiving credit for Social Security taxes paid in previous years, the legislation, according to the League, does nothing to prevent aliens who illegally obtained "non-work" Social Security numbers prior to 2004 from claiming benefits.

Between 1974 and 2003, the Social Security Administration issued more than seven million "non-work" Social Security numbers, which entitled some foreign nationals – some of whom were illegal aliens – to services such as Medicaid and food stamps, says Mary Johnson, Social Security and Medicare policy analyst for the League.

According to the League, the majority of non-work Social Security numbers were issued during an era of less restrictive immigration policy; in some cases, aliens didn't need proof of citizenship to receive a number.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...944.shtml?s=lh

A buddy of mine sent me this

Who are they kidding? This is nothing more than a compete sell out of the American people. .

Do we really need 12 million ignorant low skilled workers?

Do we really need millions of new people looking for free health care?

Do we really need millions of people added to our welfare roles?

Do we need millions of children that can't read or speak English in our schools?

Do we need millions of people inviting millions more illegals to enter our country?

This is a complete SELL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your buddy is a genius.

I dont want 12-20 million people growing old and getting free medicare, medicaid and social security and teaching their rugrats (kids) for free, when they didnt earn a dam thing, and people all over the world, want to come here legally, and earn the things, those who come here illegally spit on our country for.

A buddy of mine sent me this

Who are they kidding? This is nothing more than a compete sell out of the American people. .

Do we really need 12 million ignorant low skilled workers?

Do we really need millions of new people looking for free health care?

Do we really need millions of people added to our welfare roles?

Do we need millions of children that can't read or speak English in our schools?

Do we need millions of people inviting millions more illegals to enter our country?

This is a complete SELL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your buddy is a genius.

I dont want 12-20 million people growing old and getting free medicare, medicaid and social security and teaching their rugrats (kids) for free, when they didnt earn a dam thing, and people all over the world, want to come here legally, and earn the things, those who come here illegally spit on our country for.

Neither do 78% of the voters

Forum List

Back