Here come the salt police!!!!

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Until now, the government has pushed the food industry to voluntarily reduce salt and tried to educate consumers about the dangers of excessive sodium. But in a study to be released Wednesday, an expert panel convened by the Institute of Medicine concludes that those measures have failed. The panel will recommend that the government take action, according to sources familiar with the findings.

According to the latest research, sodium intake isn’t really a health problem for normal adults. An Einstein University study in 2008 showed no connection between cardiovascular disease risk and higher-sodium diets:

But why let science spoil all of the nanny-state fun? Don’t let facts get in the way of a crisis model for government intervention. After all, it’s for your own good, which the elites in the federal bureaucracy obviously understand better than you do.

Hot Air Blog Archive Great news: FDA to regulate salt in processed foods

Should have seen this one coming. :evil:

C'mon ... they're just preparing us for the bread and water we'll be eating somewhere down the road ... no bread from white flour, mind you.

This has already been addressed in other threads, but great job beating a dead horse.

Questioning this action is basically questioning the constitutionality of the FDA. Are you prepared to put forth a decent argument that the FDA isn't constitutional?

Until now, the government has pushed the food industry to voluntarily reduce salt and tried to educate consumers about the dangers of excessive sodium. But in a study to be released Wednesday, an expert panel convened by the Institute of Medicine concludes that those measures have failed. The panel will recommend that the government take action, according to sources familiar with the findings.

According to the latest research, sodium intake isn’t really a health problem for normal adults. An Einstein University study in 2008 showed no connection between cardiovascular disease risk and higher-sodium diets:

But why let science spoil all of the nanny-state fun? Don’t let facts get in the way of a crisis model for government intervention. After all, it’s for your own good, which the elites in the federal bureaucracy obviously understand better than you do.

They're lowering the salt content of processed food slowly. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Processed foods have so much other garbage added it doesn't really matter how much they lower the sodium content anyway, it still won't make it good for you to eat. You can still take a salt shaker and kill yourself with the stuff anyway.

They're lowering the salt content of processed food slowly. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Processed foods have so much other garbage added it doesn't really matter how much they lower the sodium content anyway, it still won't make it good for you to eat. You can still take a salt shaker and kill yourself with the stuff anyway.

And yet you have no evidence or science to back up your claim. Thanks for playing though.

This has already been addressed in other threads, but great job beating a dead horse.

Questioning this action is basically questioning the constitutionality of the FDA. Are you prepared to put forth a decent argument that the FDA isn't constitutional?

Because an organization is Constitutional does not mean every thing it does is for the benefit of the people it is supposed to be serving. Further because an organization is Constitutional does not preclude one from trying to stop them from implementing bad policy or law.

Nice attempt to deflect though. Ohh and provide links to all these other threads please.

i dont use a salt shaker...i dont add salt to much...but they best not get between me and the salt shaker come watermelon season...o and i do like country ham....its so damn salty you nearly drink the sink

High Sodium diets are bad for you. Sodium (Salt or Sodium Chloride)

I have mixed feelings on this. Here's the mix:

You can be responsible for your own health. - 1.

Your lack of self up-keep causes all other citizens' health costs to rise, therefore it's a societal responsibility, in a way. - 2.

You can still buy salt. - 3.

The FDA doing something to protect you isn't much different than a Police Officer, etc. doing the same, and since high-sodium's a killer, limiting its' levels is kind of like making it illegal to put Bleach in your cheeseburger. (although that's much more an instantaneous effect). - 4.

I'm just torn on this.

These government people and advisers are worried about SALT when the other additives are much more dangerous.
Salt for the most part seems to cause blood pressure issues with some people. The other additives , since these geniuses seem to think common salt is so bad, should outright BAN just about every other additive that may cause liver and kidney damage, behavioral problems, infertility, weakened immune system, birth defects, cancer and a host of other 'stuff'.

Food Additives... Protect Your Family From Cancer-Causing Chemicals!

They are again exercising, 'testing the waters', if you will to see how much control the people will put up with. And so far we are allowing them to do what the hell ever they want to in controlling every aspect of our lives.

Last edited:

Your lack of self up-keep causes all other citizens' health costs to rise, therefore it's a societal responsibility, in a way. - 2.

The FDA doing something to protect you isn't much different than a Police Officer, etc. doing the same, and since high-sodium's a killer, limiting its' levels is kind of like making it illegal to put Bleach in your cheeseburger. (although that's much more an instantaneous effect). - 4.

I'm just torn on this.

o please..anything fun is bad for ya....come on....are we all gonna go about in bell jars....for the common good...

salt is okay in moderation...just like most things...

which is why if salt is more limited in the foods we are served, you can add as much as you want. but i'd kind of prefer that i not be served things that are loaded up with sodium just because someone else doesn't care about their health.

the side effects are what kills me....would you rather have a bit of bladder leak or the whole list of side effects...what is the one that dresses up dying....it slips in it with a fancy name....like in rare cases...blah blah blah

just like that lamisil pill..the fungus comes back when y ou stop taking it and you risk your liver....just soak your feet and nails in vingear...it will take a long time but the acid in the vingear will kill the fungus

If I choose to eat 4 pounds of salt and 6 pounds of butter every day... and there is a company that wishes to package and sell the products that fit that bill... that is all part of a little thing called freedom

It is not like there are toxic chemicals, rat droppings galore, or other contaminants in these foods

Fuck the motherfucking FDA and the idiot governmental control freaks that are trying to give this power to government.. and fuck anyone who thinks this is a GOOD thing

I'm just torn on this.

o please..anything fun is bad for ya....come on....are we all gonna go about in bell jars....for the common good...

salt is okay in moderation...just like most things...

hEY, I said I was torn. Mainly for the reasons as you stated above, and shit like that. That doesn't mean facts on both sides of the case shouldn't be weighed and thought about.

If I choose to eat 4 pounds of salt and 6 pounds of butter every day... and there is a company that wishes to package and sell the products that fit that bill... that is all part of a little thing called freedom

It is not like there are toxic chemicals, rat droppings galore, or other contaminants in these foods

Fuck the motherfucking FDA and the idiot governmental control freaks that are trying to give this power to government.. and fuck anyone who thinks this is a GOOD thing

It's a done deal. They will be lowering the salt content in processed foods. They're saving you from yourself and kids who don't know any better as well.

You can eat all those things on your own time. No problem.

The non-ignorant and non-ideological amongst us applaude efforts by the FDA to make our food safer and healthier. Common table salt is a necessary part of our diet, but in excess it is harmful. Unless of course the doctors of the world have all conspired to make us less healthy in order to increase their profits, and have lied to us all these years.
Adding lots of salt (check out the amount in your V-8 juice) and sugar in processed foods must make them cheaper and more profitable, and of course tastier. Simply one more example of why a government of the people watching out for its citizens lives up to the vision statement in the preamble to our constitution. Only fringers object to such matters.

Last edited:
The driving force behind most of these government programs is that in general the surest way for a department to continue to recieve funding and to be relavent is to come up with something new every few years.

People in general get bored when an organization is doing what is supposed to do. All the work being done is hidden, out of the public eye. People (and congresspeople) forget what the organization is doing and then question why they need budget X to do something. by coming up with something new you justify your position and funding.

Right now the FDA has plenty to do. Due to its vigilence:

An overwheming majority of our food supply is safe
An overwhelming majority of our drugs are safe
An overhwlming majority of our cosmetics are safe.

This in and of itself is a good thing. But people come to expect it, and really dont go into the details needed for it to be come reality. A good example is that most people really dont know how much work goes into getting electricity to thier house, all they know is that they flick the switch and it goes on. Same with the FDA. people go to the supermarket and pharmacy and get stuff that is safe to use without knowing what goes into assuring it.

It's a done deal. They will be lowering the salt content in processed foods. They're saving you from yourself and kids who don't know any better as well.

The job of government is not to save someone from themselves.... it is to protect the freedoms and rights that we have

If I choose to go on the all Jack Daniels and Crisco diet... that is my business
If I have a product that has 96% of it's calories from fat and enough salt to make a horse happy for a month.. so be it... as long as I am not having toxic chemicals or contaminants and I disclose what is in my product... if the public don't want it, the public won't buy it

which is why if salt is more limited in the foods we are served, you can add as much as you want. but i'd kind of prefer that i not be served things that are loaded up with sodium just because someone else doesn't care about their health.

I didn't realize you don't have any control over what you eat. :rolleyes:

The job of government is not to save someone from themselves.... it is to protect the freedoms and rights that we have

If I choose to go on the all Jack Daniels and Crisco diet... that is my business
If I have a product that has 96% of it's calories from fat and enough salt to make a horse happy for a month.. so be it... as long as I am not having toxic chemicals or contaminants and I disclose what is in my product... if the public don't want it, the public won't buy it
The whole point is that those dose amounts ARE toxic.

New Topics

Forum List

Back