HELP! What's a cell phone?

Wow. A cell phone is not a massive use of energy.
. . . but collecting the meta-data of 7.9 billion people on Earth, sending it to data centers and then using algorithms to parse out every little last thing about your personality, what you are likely thinking, where you are likely to go, what you are likely going to buy, say, do, vote for, etc.?

That uses more energy, and will use more energy in the future than most nations on the planet.

Added to that, folks with smart phones upgrade more regularly than folks with dumbphones, which, if you read the article, you will find out about the toll of rare earth metals.

. . . but collecting the meta-data of 7.9 billion people on Earth, sending it to data centers and then using algorithms to parse out every little last thing about your personality, what you are likely thinking, where you are likely to go, what you are likely going to buy, say, do, vote for, etc.?

That uses more energy, and will use more energy in the future than most nations on the planet.

Added to that, folks with smart phones upgrade more regularly than folks with dumbphones, which, if you read the article, you will find out about the toll of rare earth metals.
What a goofy post.

What a goofy post.
Only if you never read the link in my previous post.

Which? I am sure you didn't.

That data is right there. . .

You can deny reality all you like, but the reality isn't "goofy." YOU ARE.

Seimens-Data-Centers-TWH.png

This looks like what I want, I think, but what does 'unlocked' mean and when I went to Straight Talk I had trouble finding a prepay option.
"Unlocked" means that you are not tied down to a specific carrier via contract. (that super tiny small print stuff that old lady eyes can't read without the aid of a super-powered microscope). If it is "locked" you may get that phone cheaper, but it will not work if you don't use their service and agree to their dictates.

You actually own an unlocked phone.

I looked at those, but they all have a contract.
All the big carriers have no contract, pre-paid plans meaning you pay a set amount at the beginning of each month to use the service. I was using T-Mobile and paying just over $50 a month but have since switched over to Xfinity Mobile as I have Xfinity internet ($55/month) so my monthly cost is $18 per month for my cell phone service. Of course I own my iPhone XR outright so I'm not paying a monthly payment on that.

I do have a Moto G7 that belonged to my wife I'd be willing to part with.

147022-phones-review-review-motorola-moto-g7-play-review-image1-a9lwgk5p3o.jpg

It currently has a T-Mobile SIM card in it.

Last edited:
Okay, I know what a cell phone is. I don't have one. I want a pay as you go, no contract plan with good coverage. Like I used to with the last cell phone I had, which let me pay for a chunk of minutes and go. No internet or anything like that. I added minutes when I needed them. I rarely used it.

This looks like what I want, I think, but what does 'unlocked' mean and when I went to Straight Talk I had trouble finding a prepay option.

Does the old fart basic phone I want still exist?

View attachment 579110

Also what's a sim card and why/when do I need one?
The mobile phone market is in a state of constant evolution. To me, the current evolution is making things better as far as technology, but worse as far as consumer choice in providers.

I used to buy 'unlocked' phones (smartphones) for years. An 'unlocked' phone is for people that don't have a contract/loyalty to any specific provider, and they used to work on any provider's network that supports CDMA (2G) or GSM (3G) networks. These days in the US, not so much. I think unlocked phones are more popular in other countries because they sell dual-SIM units. Why would you want a phone with dual SIMs? Because in places like Europe, talk and data accounts can vary greatly and can be expensive. Dual SIMs like the BLU model you posted gives the user the opportunity to have one SIM for talk/text and one strictly for internet/data. It won't make too much sense until you travel outside of the US mobile network frequently.

What is a SIM card? It is a tiny card with an RFID chip (basically a microcomputer chip) that slips into a slot in the mobile device. It basically interfaces with and activates your phone with a subscriber number (phone number) allowing it to authenticate/connect to nearby cellular towers. It also may store a limited amount of your contacts/texts.

I live in a very rural area, so for me, the most important factor of my mobile usage is coverage. In my area, Verizon is the best I got. But I hate this company with a passion. I hate their customer service. I could try voting with my wallet, which I've done in the past, but if I want my calls/texts to go through, unfortunately, I have to put up with Verizon. Your mileage and location, of course, will vary.

You would probably do well just buying a prepaid Jethro/Jitterbug/Nokia/BLU (Called basic cell phones) from Walmart via Straight Talk/Cricket/Total Wireless/TracFone. Again, your location may vary, but in mine, all four lease Verizon towers for their coverage (subsidiaries of Verizon).

Best of luck in your search, and hope that helps.

Okay, I know what a cell phone is. I don't have one. I want a pay as you go, no contract plan with good coverage. Like I used to with the last cell phone I had, which let me pay for a chunk of minutes and go. No internet or anything like that. I added minutes when I needed them. I rarely used it.

Does the old fart basic phone I want still exist?

View attachment 579110

Also what's a sim card and why/when do I need one?

I took a quick look at what phones my current provider offers. Sorting by price, low to high, the first thing that comes up looks like it is the only thing that might be close to what you want.

irony of ironies.

Turns out. . . I need to transfer my number and minutes to a new phone. My current one is 3G, and I just found out, the FCC is having all service providers phase them out.

Damn, what a pain.

:mad:

I'll have to get that done before February, since I have no idea what network this phone uses, it might use ATT.

Plan Ahead for Phase Out of 3G Cellular Networks and Service​

". . When is it happening?

As early as January 1, 2022, though plans and timing to phase out 3G services will vary by company and may change. Consult your mobile provider's website for the most up-to-date information.

• AT&T announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by February 2022.
  • Verizon announced that will finish shutting down its 3G network by December 31, 2022.
  • T-Mobile announced that it will finish shutting down Sprint's 3G CDMA network by March 31, 2022 and Sprint's 4G LTE network by June 30, 2022. It also announced it will shut down T-Mobile's 3G UMTS network by July 1, 2022, but has not yet announced a shutdown date for its 2G network.
If your mobile carrier is not listed here, you may still be affected. Many carriers, such as Cricket, Boost, Straight Talk, and several Lifeline mobile service providers, utilize AT&T's, Verizon's, and T-Mobile's networks.

Note: These are dates for completing the shutdowns. Carriers may begin retiring parts of their networks sooner. . . ."

AT&T still sell the old flip phone and a SIM card is what more or less operates the phone.

Unlock phone mean you can use it on any carrier.

My advice is go with AT&T for your burner ( to go phone ) phone seeing their rates are reasonable.

I had excellent service with T-Mobile. I switched to Xfinity because I saved more than half per month.
Not here in the Houston Region…

AT&T does so much better.

My personal Apple Phone is T-Mobile and my burner is AT&T and I never lose service with AT&T but half of Houston I only get one or two bars with T-Mobile…

Not here in the Houston Region…

AT&T does so much better.

My personal Apple Phone is T-Mobile and my burner is AT&T and I never lose service with AT&T but half of Houston I only get one or two bars with T-Mobile…
T-Mobile is the big one here in New Mexico with Verizon coming in second.

Forum List

Back