Help! Rust on kitchen knives....why???

View attachment 425210

So everytime I was knives, and only knives, in my dishwasher (new one as of a few days ago) they come out looking like old rusty bolts. None of my other silverware does this and it's driving me nuts.

First off, NEVER do knives you care about in the dishwasher. Thoroughly clean them by hand and dry them completely. Sharpen them regularly and from time to time coat them in vegetable or sunflower oil, then wipe off the excess. Humidity is the enemy of all metal knives; the inside of your dishwasher is more humid than the rainforest. Finally, purchase better knives if you want to own and use them for a lifetime or forge your own.

This message has been brought to you by an ex-soldier whose life depended on razor sharp, rust free knives in many situations. A parting thought, some advice passed down to me from my paratrooper grandfather: always carry a boot knife—always.

You would not put a cast iron frying pan in the dishwasher, so why would you put a steel knife in one?
Because it costs a few bucks comparatively?

I'm 52 years old and have always used a dishwasher for eating utensils. Only on the last few years has rust or whatever it is on mt knives become an issue.
Obviously my cast iron doesn't go in the dishwasher for the same reasons my stones don't.

Another option is ceramic knives.
Ceramic knives stay sharp for a very long time, but the blade edge will easy chip if you use it to cut bones or frozen food, and you never put them in the dishwasher. ... :cool:

Fuck ceramic knives.
I've tried a few but they break and chip far to easy.
I tried ceramic pans and those too can fuck right off. Burn shit too easy. I'll stick to my junk (calphon) and cast iron for that

Sharpen the knives, wash, and keep them dry.

Stop being lazy, Bitch.
Washing shit by hand cuts into drinking time ffs.

If you spend 2k on a knife set believe me,you'll wash em by hand.
I spend 2k on electronics and unnecessary car parts. Its a fucking steak knife. 2k??? Ummm no!

Nooo......A whole set of Wusthof knives.
They'll last a lifetime if you take care of them.
I didnt have to sharpen my set for six years.

Stop being lazy, Bitch.

I spend 2k on electronics and unnecessary car parts. Its a fucking steak knife. 2k??? Ummm no!

I have never paid for good silverware. 8 have some nice cookware but my first wife got our good knives in the divorce and I bought cheap shit and never looked back.
Having said that, cutting hard skinned veggies does suck so maybe I'll invest in a nice set but not this year or winter. I'm about to be living off savings. Winter is always a bitch in my business and I suspect this winter will be worse than ever because of covid cooties

Another option is ceramic knives.
Ceramic knives stay sharp for a very long time, but the blade edge will easy chip if you use it to cut bones or frozen food, and you never put them in the dishwasher. ... :cool:

Fuck ceramic knives.
I've tried a few but they break and chip far to easy.
I tried ceramic pans and those too can fuck right off. Burn shit too easy. I'll stick to my junk (calphon) and cast iron for that

Yep.
Ya cant beat Calphalon pans for a good pan at a reasonable price.
But my favorites are my Le Creuset and my Field cast iron.
While expensive they work like no ones business.
Especially the Field. I would recommend them to anyone who likes cast iron.
They just came out with a dutch oven that I'm going to have to get.
The Field Company - Smoother, Lighter Cast Iron Skillets

Stop being lazy, Bitch.

I have never paid for good silverware. 8 have some nice cookware but my first wife got our good knives in the divorce and I bought cheap shit and never looked back.
Having said that, cutting hard skinned veggies does suck so maybe I'll invest in a nice set but not this year or winter. I'm about to be living off savings. Winter is always a bitch in my business and I suspect this winter will be worse than ever because of covid cooties

I understand that.
We spent a shitload on quality cookware in our youth and it'll last the rest of our lives.
If the Wife leaves me I'll kill her and bury her in the woods so I can keep the cookware and the dogs.

Forum List

Back