Hello from Vermont

My understanding is that this is a good place to discuss what is going on in this world today. I gravetated here due to another forum dropping their 2nd Amendment forum. Looking forward to learning from, and sharing with all of you.......Gary

Hello Gary, :)

This is a good place for stimulating energies....:lol:

****WELCOME****

Serious question:

Do you have any feeling as to the percentage of property in Vermont which is now in the ownership of out-of-staters? Relatives there recently sold out a farm (North of Ludlow) that had been int he family since colonial days. Sold to New Yorkers who will weekend there in summer, returning after September ONLY to vote (they claim they've only registered in Vermont but there are suspicions). They're asserting they sold out because new laws and regulations these city folks have rammed through are making farming near impossible. I think that's only part of the story but won't entirely discount the possibility.

Last edited:
Hello Gary...

3290291neko5x0ccm.png

Welcome to the USMB...:)

My understanding is that this is a good place to discuss what is going on in this world today. I gravetated here due to another forum dropping their 2nd Amendment forum. Looking forward to learning from, and sharing with all of you.......Gary

Hello and welcome, Gary! :)

Henry, Thanks for the welcome, and the question. I think that from my experience as that of a consulting forester, recent years has brought drastic changes. More and more of the land being sold in the State now goes to the well to do out of state retirees, and forces locls out because our taxes and progressive gov't., does not allow for a decent value of life. Vt. has become the most liberal state in the region, and I'm certain that my quality of life is now lessened.

I do believe though that you need to reside i the state 12 months of the year in order to vote....you can't move and not have Vt. as your legal residence only part of the year. But as you say, and I've seen, voter fraud is rampant everywhere these days......Gary

Henry, Thanks for the welcome, and the question. I think that from my experience as that of a consulting forester, recent years has brought drastic changes. More and more of the land being sold in the State now goes to the well to do out of state retirees, and forces locls out because our taxes and progressive gov't., does not allow for a decent value of life. Vt. has become the most liberal state in the region, and I'm certain that my quality of life is now lessened.

I do believe though that you need to reside i the state 12 months of the year in order to vote....you can't move and not have Vt. as your legal residence only part of the year. But as you say, and I've seen, voter fraud is rampant everywhere these days......Gary

Pretty much confirms what I've been hearing. Disheartening to send out Christmas cards this year and have to change so many Vermont addresses to new ones in Florida. Worse, though, to see a few moving to Connecticut to escape what they feel is the worst of winter and to flee the outrageous taxes resulting from the liberal influx. Seems these out-of-staters buy places on charming rural gravel roads and then demand they be paved and plowed, not caring how much property tax they pay and not at all concerned that they're driving out the locals who used to fix their plumbing and patch their roofs.

Seems they're not just returning to vote in regular elections - they're driving up to attend town meetings at which the number of New York license plates in the parking spaces outnumber the Vermont plates. But they all ARE property owners and registered voters.

Henry,

I live here on Lake Champlain, and mostly all my neighbor's re not from VT. Most are second home owner's, and if in VT. for their homestead, can vote in the town of primary residency. Just owning a second home here, and not living here does not allow you to vote or participate, legally in Vt. politics, although no doubt it is one......people are prosecuted frequently because they think they can register their vehicles here in state because they own a vacation home....doesn't work....Gary

Henry,

I live here on Lake Champlain, and mostly all my neighbor's re not from VT. Most are second home owner's, and if in VT. for their homestead, can vote in the town of primary residency. Just owning a second home here, and not living here does not allow you to vote or participate, legally in Vt. politics, although no doubt it is one......people are prosecuted frequently because they think they can register their vehicles here in state because they own a vacation home....doesn't work....Gary

Legally.

Says so much.

Let's hope the awareness of the vehicle registration issue (explaining why so many NY plates in front of town meeting venues) spreads to voter registration as well. Potential problem, should that be properly enforced, is that there are townships where there will be no qualified legal residents as all the property will be owned by out-of-staters....though that presumes none of them are renting anything out so not extremely likely.

Family rooted in the town where the curbstones are made of marble. That should tell you, living where you do, which town without telling the world.

welcome_089.gif

Hope you like it here and not leave soon after being welcomed.....:)

Welcome to USMB, GMD52. Hop you enjoy the boards!

e9576611eae6fbd0b3d6624826828a98.jpg
Vermont is an American jewel that has such incandescent foliage.​

Hello from a fellow New Englander (Boston) VT is gorgeous. I rent a house up there twice a year for long weekends. Takes me 20 miles to get to the closest grocery store (or Dunks) though lol.

But I do understand what "a country mile" is now though.

Welcome and enjoy!

Oh..and my daughter is going to an Agricultrual High School ..hoping to get into Forestry.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back