Heartening News from Mississippi on the civil rights front

Band director reinstated after originally being fired for having a "half time" show featuring teenagers with "toy" AR-15's mimicking a hostage situation the day after two police officers were gunned down after responding to a 911 call of shots fired.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...d-directors-firing-reversed-suspended-instead

Not really politics, but there's no sarcasm board in current events.
By 'civil rights' I guess you're referring to gun rights?
Sounds like one hell of a school. What a tasteful half time show.

I have no idea what this has to do with civil rights . I hope that teacher was told "no more stupid fake hostage half time shows"
What's hard for me to wrap my head around is a teacher who thought it was appropriate in the first place. They're gun toters down in Mississippi, I guess.

They're gun toters in every corner of this country. That's the wages of a sick social fetish.

I haven't seen overt gun toting in that part of MS, not that that means in any way it doesn't exist, but it's more flagrant to the immediate southwest of there.
I was just rereading my favorite book--Go Down Moses. It's all I've ever known about Mississippi.

Band director reinstated after originally being fired for having a "half time" show featuring teenagers with "toy" AR-15's mimicking a hostage situation the day after two police officers were gunned down after responding to a 911 call of shots fired.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...d-directors-firing-reversed-suspended-instead

I have no idea what this has to do with civil rights . I hope that teacher was told "no more stupid fake hostage half time shows"
What's hard for me to wrap my head around is a teacher who thought it was appropriate in the first place. They're gun toters down in Mississippi, I guess.

They're gun toters in every corner of this country. That's the wages of a sick social fetish.

I haven't seen overt gun toting in that part of MS, not that that means in any way it doesn't exist, but it's more flagrant to the immediate southwest of there.
I was just rereading my favorite book--Go Down Moses. It's all I've ever known about Mississippi.

I highly reccommend John Grisham, any of his books.

I'm not familiar with either that or the film cited earlier but I've known Mississippi since my first year on this earth. As is the case with I guess anywhere, you hear about stuff in the news that you never saw or would have guessed went on in real life. I would think portrayals in other media carry the same perceptual limitations.

I meant the decision to not fire the guy. I mean maybe you can excuse a teacher for not even watching the news, and I gotta say NOBODY could have missed that Brookhaven story because that mult time repeat offender just slaughtered those two poor cops for no reason at all, but to have a halftime show on JohnQ and taking hostages at gunpoint. What possibly could be inappropriate for kids.
I don't know who/what John Q is, but you know me--anything with AR-15's is inappropriate for kids.

And for adults.
I killed my antique can collection with mine.

I found that one tough sledding. The first chapter, or story, of chasing the slave with an old horse is hilarious, but very un-PC for our times.

And the fact that the white men live in the dilapidated shack while they keep the slaves in the old Plantation Mansion, and lock the front doors at night presumably to hold onto the slaves, but leave the back door unlocked, from which the former slave escapes to visit his lover is sublime irony.

Last edited:

I meant the decision to not fire the guy. I mean maybe you can excuse a teacher for not even watching the news, and I gotta say NOBODY could have missed that Brookhaven story because that mult time repeat offender just slaughtered those two poor cops for no reason at all, but to have a halftime show on JohnQ and taking hostages at gunpoint. What possibly could be inappropriate for kids.
I don't know who/what John Q is, but you know me--anything with AR-15's is inappropriate for kids.

And for adults.
I killed my antique can collection with mine.

That's just uncanny.

I've recently read a few of them, too--going through the old paperbacks on my shelf. Both were set in Memphis TN

I found that one tough sledding. The first chapter, or story, of chasing the slave with an old horse is hilarious, but very un-PC for our times.
Yes, no one reads him anymore. But he loved Mississippi and ALL its people, and hated them sometimes too.

I've recently read a few of them, too--going through the old paperbacks on my shelf. Both were set in Memphis TN

Many of them are, many of them are in MS, which is ironic given that very few people in MS even know how to read LOL rimshot.

Many of them are, many of them are in MS, which is ironic given that very few people in MS even know how to read LOL rimshot.
I'm sure that's no more true than that here in Maine our doorknobs are a piece of old rope pulled through a hole.

I'm sure that's no more true than that here in Maine our doorknobs are a piece of old rope pulled through a hole.

I live and work in probably the most concentrated area of "educated people" in the world, and deal with morons every day. I often times find myself missing the "simple" people of the south.

And the fact that the white men live in the dilapidated shack while they keep the slaves in the old Plantation Mansion, and lock the front doors at night presumably to hold onto the slaves, but leave the back door unlocked, from which the former slave escapes to visit his lover is sublime irony.
I loved the stories about old Buck and Buddy; if you'd read a bit farther, Buck lost a card game and ended up having to marry his poker buddy's sister, who'd had her cap set for him for years. Brother couldn't take her nagging anymore and forced Buck to play for her. Well, to not have her. Buck and his brother were perfectly content as bachelors who liked being able to hunt, drink, play cards and let the dogs in the house without worrying about a woman fussing around about it.

The McCaislin family has an extensive geneaology both black and white in Faulkner's novels. It's like visiting family. Part of the reason I love his books--that and that he writes about rural folks. Like home.

That's an interesting stereotype, since my Mississippi mother taught me to read when I was four.

Yes, no one reads him anymore. But he loved Mississippi and ALL its people, and hated them sometimes too.
Oh yeah. He got a very unfair rap in the middle of the century. Of course he's very difficult to read. It's not just stream of consciousness but southern gothic. I think he'll go the route of Wallace Stegner and Willa Cather as regional writers who don't have relevance today, but that's wrong, and Faulkner's theme is huge, and he's about the worth and rights every person is born with.

Thanks for reminding me. I may reread Confederacy of Dunces this weekend. I got my wife the re-issue several years ago, so it's somewhere around the house. Talk about a lost book. It's author won the Pulitzer when the novel was finally published more than ten years after he killed himself.

Oh yeah. He got a very unfair rap in the middle of the century. Of course he's very difficult to read. It's not just stream of consciousness but southern gothic. I think he'll go the route of Wallace Stegner and Willa Cather as regional writers who don't have relevance today, but that's wrong, and Faulkner's theme is huge, and he's about the worth and rights every person is born with.

Thanks for reminding me. I may reread Confederacy of Dunces this weekend. I got my wife the re-issue several years ago, so it's somewhere around the house. Talk about a lost book. It's author won the Pulitzer when the novel was finally published more than ten years after he killed himself.
I just googled it--it sounds fun. Thanks for the tip!

I may be the only white male in Mississippi who doesn't own an AR-15. My two best friends each own at least two, but wives sons and daughters are involved. LOL I just don't have any use for one. I've got no problem with owning guns, and own a few myself.

Jackson however is #6 on the list of US cities with the most murders per capita. That's what led me to putting this on the sarcasm board. JFC I'd think that might be on the educators' list. And black on black murder is a story in all of the US. So, we have the Trustees of a school district that is 99% black reinstated a teacher who approved of a skit with black children pointing guns at other black children. You'd think that would be enough.

But then the kids performed the skit in a small Mississippi city where a black professional violent criminal pretty much ambushed two white cops. The cops' race shouldn't be an issue, but of course it was in a state where whites make up 2/3s, and Jackson is looked upon by most to be a horrible place where you are likely to have your throat cut in your sleep. Which it isn't. You're quite likely to have your car burglarized, but the vast maj of crime, and esp violent crime, is not blacks offing whites. So, in a sense there's actually a double irony to the story.

Forum List

Back