Headline: Swing-State Gas Prices Head Obama's Way

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
Swing-State Gas Prices Head Obama's Way - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

snips,
They finally seem to be drifting down, however, which could obviously help President Obama if the trend continues up until Election Day.
Another trend helping Obama is falling unemployment rates in 9 of 11 swing states.

This reported should be fired for journalistic malpractice.
I suppose he forgot what the price of gasoline was and what the unemployment rate was when Mr Obama took office.

Granny says we'd be better off if Bush had stayed as President...
:eusa_eh:
Price of Gallon of Gas Up 96% Under Obama
February 12, 2013 – The average price of a gallon of gas has increased 96 percent since President Barack Obama first took office in 2009, according to figures from the Energy Information Agency (EIA).
According to EIA data, the average price of a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline in the United States was $1.838 on Jan. 19, 2009--the day before Obama took office. As of Monday, Feb. 11, 2013, the per-gallon price had risen to an average of $3.611--an increase of 96 percent.

The $3.677 is not the highest gas prices have been under President Obama. That record was reached the week of May 9, 2011 when they averaged $3.965 per gallon.

Gas prices took a sharp dive during the recession but have climbed back to near their pre-recession peak under Obama, despite the President’s push for greater fuel-efficient cars and trucks and pursuit of expanded clean energy. (The recession officially occurred from December 2007 to June 2009.)

Gas prices have never been this high in early February in American history, according to EIA, even in 2008 when gas prices reached all-time highs.

Price of Gallon of Gas Up 96% Under Obama | CNS News

See also:

Poll: Americans Don't Really Like the Job Obama's Doing
February 12, 2013 - When President Obama discusses the economy in his State of the Union Address Tuesday night, he will be dealing with an area in which the American public gives him relatively low performance ratings.
The same thing applies to immigration, energy policy, guns, and taxes. On all of those issues, more Americans disapprove than approve of the job Obama is doing, according to a new Gallup Poll.

Gallup found that President Obama is heading into his fourth State of the Union address Tuesday night with an overall job approval rating of around 50 percent. But in eight of the nine specific areas measured, more Americans disapprove than approve of the job he's doing.

In only one category -- national defense -- did Obama's approval rating (53 percent) exceed his disapproval rating (44 percent).

The Gallup poll shows that Obama's lowest approval rating is 31 percent, for his handling of the federal budget deficit. Only 39 percent approve of the way he's handling the economy. And the economy is expected to be a main topic of discussion Tuesday night.

Obama's Job Approval on 9 Issues:

Last edited:
Swing-State Gas Prices Head Obama's Way - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

snips,
They finally seem to be drifting down, however, which could obviously help President Obama if the trend continues up until Election Day.
Another trend helping Obama is falling unemployment rates in 9 of 11 swing states.

I suppose he forgot what the price of gasoline was and what the unemployment rate was when Mr Obama took office.

It's all about budget. The next president is stuck with the budget of the previous president. The last day of Bush's last budget, unemployment was officially over 10%. That's what he handed to Obama. Remember, Republicans used reconciliation THREE times to create that massive deficit. Know your history. The real history. Not the stuff from Fox.

He should, but not for the reason implied. The premise here is absurd. Rising or falling gas prices should not be helping or hurting any candidate except through ignorance. Presidents have nothing to do with what the price of gas is. Oil is a fungible commodity driven by the international market. Not by O'bama or Bush or anybody else in the White House.

Romney's rambling (<<get it? Romney? American Motors? Rambler? I kill me) about what the price of gas was in January '09 --which was depressed by the economy crash-- is another load of disingenuous crap.

I really hate it when politicians and pundits pander to ignorance. If we want to decry the unwashed masses of uninfomed voters, then let's stop enabling the politicians and media who deliberately misinform them.

Last edited:
Granny says we'd be better off if Bush had stayed as President...
:eusa_eh:
Price of Gallon of Gas Up 96% Under Obama

Granny's got a short memory that apparently doesn't go back to the summer of 2008, when the price of gas went to its highest level ever.

That would be the same time that John McCain and a slew of pundits were milking the "drill here drill now" meme, in spite of the fact that (a) such drilling is up to private enterprise (oil companies), not the government; (b) that refining capacity was already maxed and would not have been able to handle extra raw material; (c) that drilling equipment was also already maxed; (d) that oil is traded on the international market anyway, it doesn't go straight to the Shell station in Dubuque; and (e) that Bush's own EIA estimated that such drilling in expanded areas of ANWR and the OCS would take 22 years to have an effect and even after all that it might drop the price of a barrel by about a dime to a quarter. And (f) that whatever increase the US oil companies could muster would be compensated by OPEC simply cutting supply by the same level to keep prices stable, something they would address in about ten minutes with a yawn.

Again, gas prices are a way way bigger dynamic than the POTUS can get near. To pretend the WH can somehow sway them is a fairy tale. It's used by candidates and media crapmongers to sell a facile, comic-book version of a world that does not exist.

If Bush were president right now, with gas prices at $4 per gallon, the liberals would be having a fucking fit. But since it's Obama, they suck it up and fall on their liberal swords for their master.

If Bush were president right now, with gas prices at $4 per gallon, the liberals would be having a fucking fit. But since it's Obama, they suck it up and fall on their liberal swords for their master.

Some of us liberals realize that we pay less than most other countries, and that gas prices go up with inflation and the increase of the cost of living. Actually gas prices in the US seem to rise at a lesser rate. In reality, if you factor in inflation we pay less.......But whateves.

Some of us liberals realize that we pay less than most other countries, and that gas prices go up with inflation and the increase of the cost of living. Actually gas prices in the US seem to rise at a lesser rate. In reality, if you factor in inflation we pay less.......But whateves.
LOL. See what I mean?

LOL. See what I mean?

I am saying I didn't blame Bush when gas $4 a gallon when he was president. :cuckoo:

It's like you guys are so loaded up crap you can't see straight.

LOL. See what I mean?

I am saying I didn't blame Bush when gas $4 a gallon when he was president. :cuckoo:

They're smokin' a crap pipe I think.

Hard as I was on Bush about things that actually are related to the President, I didn't blame him for that either. This is a favourite tactic of naysayers, the old "if-then" fantasy. A bullshit argument tossed out like feces, never documented, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

LOL. See what I mean?

They're smokin' a crap pipe I think.

Hard as I was on Bush about things that actually are related to the President, I didn't blame him for that either. This is a favourite tactic of naysayers, the old "if-then" fantasy. A bullshit argument tossed out like feces, never documented, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Yeah, I love it too especially since I was in my twenties during his term. I turned 21 a month after 9/11. I didn't vote for the guy but I didn't follow politics much during his term. I do remember supporting him when we went into Iraq for some reason. Lol

New Topics

Forum List

Back