Head of ERCOT says he would have done nothing different

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
So Texas plans to do nothing after their FUBAR. No weatherization, no infrastructure or grid upgrades, no heated windmills ... no NOTHIN'.
Congrats Texas - You are F-ing AMAZEBALLS! :disbelief:

The CEO of the organization that controls the Texas power grid told lawmakers he wouldn't have done anything different during the winter storm last that left millions in the state without power for days.​
Bill Magness, the CEO and president of the Energy Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, made the comments on Thursday in a hearing before the Texas State Senate Business and Commerce Committee.​
"It's our job to keep the grid balanced, and if I'm looking at it, the problem was at the sites of the various generation," Magness told committee chair John Whitmire, pointing to natural gas supply issues.​
"I'd just say, I feel a great deal of responsibility and remorse about the event," Magness said, "but I believe the operators on our team did everything they could have."​
Cutting Magness off, Whitmire asked, "But you wouldn't have changed anything in terms of your play calling during those critical hours?"​
"As I sit here now, I don’t believe I would, I wouldn’t step in front of them and question their judgment and their experience," Magness said.​

So Texas plans to do nothing after their FUBAR. No weatherization, no infrastructure or grid upgrades, no heated windmills ... no NOTHIN'.

The CEO of the organization that controls the Texas power grid told lawmakers he wouldn't have done anything different during the winter storm last that left millions in the state without power for days.​
Bill Magness, the CEO and president of the Energy Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT, made the comments on Thursday in a hearing before the Texas State Senate Business and Commerce Committee.​
"It's our job to keep the grid balanced, and if I'm looking at it, the problem was at the sites of the various generation," Magness told committee chair John Whitmire, pointing to natural gas supply issues.​
"I'd just say, I feel a great deal of responsibility and remorse about the event," Magness said, "but I believe the operators on our team did everything they could have."​
Cutting Magness off, Whitmire asked, "But you wouldn't have changed anything in terms of your play calling during those critical hours?"​
"As I sit here now, I don’t believe I would, I wouldn’t step in front of them and question their judgment and their experience," Magness said.​

You can't build "weatherization, infrastructure or grid upgrades, and heated windmills" "during the winter storm" which was what he was addressing. What would you have done differently DURING the winter storm that would have been better? Before you answer, however, you might want to look at how grid balancing is a necessity in modern grids regardless of how "upgraded" they are. Too much electricity on the lines, and crap starts melting; not enough electricity on the lines and a lot of electronics-frying surges start frying people's modern electronics. It is why people are told to put surge protectors on their computers and TVS.

You're right.

He should have DISCONNECTED ALL WIND AND SOLAR SHIT!!!

That would have been better.

Of course he would have done nothing different including the pay-off...

You can't build "weatherization, infrastructure or grid upgrades, and heated windmills" "during the winter storm" which was what he was addressing. What would you have done differently DURING the winter storm that would have been better? Before you answer, however, you might want to look at how grid balancing is a necessity in modern grids regardless of how "upgraded" they are. Too much electricity on the lines, and crap starts melting; not enough electricity on the lines and a lot of electronics-frying surges start frying people's modern electronics. It is why people are told to put surge protectors on their computers and TVS.
What yer saying is the grid must be in-phase, aligned with other power that is in the same polarity of phase.

Why would they waste all that money? You think this is going to become a common situation? lol

You're right.

He should have DISCONNECTED ALL WIND AND SOLAR SHIT!!!

That would have been better.

That is not what caused the failure but keep on thinking it did.

They did not plan for a cold snap like we had and the next time it happens I hope it is you that feel the pain that the poor felt from losing loved ones!

Why would they waste all that money? You think this is going to become a common situation? lol

A couple years back it snowed in the Houston region, so yes it could happen again or it might not but it is always smart to winterize the shit!
Not like that, though. This was a freak storm. First time I ever experienced 4 degree temps.

Not my first time...

I remember cold ass days in Joliet, snow in Jacksonville, FL and even stood in a blizzard in Reno in July...

It happens and should always have a backup plan when all else fails...

I mean 4 minutes and 37 seconds away from massive failure is what Texas was facing and in today age this should never happen except in third world shitholes!

What yer saying is the grid must be in-phase, aligned with other power that is in the same polarity of phase.

They have no fucking idea what they are saying except that they approve the talking point: Big Energy Good - Regulation/Oversight BAD.

A couple years back it snowed in the Houston region, so yes it could happen again or it might not but it is always smart to winterize the shit!
Not like that, though. This was a freak storm. First time I ever experienced 4 degree temps.

Sorry dude - This is the New Normal. It happened also in 2011 and they did NOTHING.
Now they will do NOTHING again? Adapt or fucking DIE ...

Sorry dude - This is the New Normal. It happened also in 2011 and they did NOTHING.
This happened in 2011? Link?

Sure Harley - the same "Freak Storm" that happened in 2011.
Are you SERIOUSLY this STOOPID?

Duh

Duh.jpg

Dude's salary is 895,000 a year. The top ten idiots under him, scale down from 800,00 to above 200,000 for the lowest paid. Them there's what we call good jobs here in Texas.

After watching some of his testimony, I don't see where he should. What was very interesting, was when he told the Committee, that no, he didn't have the power to force anyone to winterize.

Maybe the legislature needs to step up and change the law giving him the authority

They have no fucking idea what they are saying except that they approve the talking point: Big Energy Good - Regulation/Oversight BAD.

So you wouldn't have done anything differently apparently except blame someone else since you are incapable of answering the question.

Duh

Duh.jpg
Can't read the link but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
Sorry if I can't remember every storm in Texas :rolleyes:

New Topics

Forum List

Back