He was supposed to be competent

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Tip of the hat to Peggy Noonan - this time around she has captured the essence of what is unfolding around Obama in the face of his significant missteps with the health care bill, immigration reform, and now the Gulf Oil crisis. And as I have said before, there is a sense of sadness in seeing this man so out of his depth, so clearly hiding behind an increasingly thin veneer of arrogance in an attempt to hide his incompetence...
____

What continues to fascinate me is Mr. Obama's standing with Democrats. They don't love him. Half the party voted for Hillary Clinton, and her people have never fully reconciled themselves to him. But he is what they have. They are invested in him. In time—after the 2010 elections go badly—they are going to start to peel off. The political operative James Carville, the most vocal and influential of the president's Gulf critics, signaled to Democrats this week that they can start to peel off. He did it through the passion of his denunciations.

The disaster in the Gulf may well spell the political end of the president and his administration, and that is no cause for joy. It's not good to have a president in this position—weakened, polarizing and lacking broad public support—less than halfway through his term. That it is his fault is no comfort. It is not good for the stability of the world, or its safety, that the leader of "the indispensable nation" be so weakened. I never until the past 10 years understood the almost moral imperative that an American president maintain a high standing in the eyes of his countrymen.

Peggy Noonan: He Was Supposed to Be Competent - WSJ.com

are we really indispensible?

I don't think we are. If we slacken in our duty, God will raise up another people to stand for Freedom. I dont think it will die with us.

It is not good for the stability of the world, or its safety, that the leader of "the indispensable nation" be so weakened.

He entered office waving a white flag, apologizing for his country. I like Peggy, but she is too charitable here. BO was a flaccid flake on day one.

Agree completely - Noonan was supportive of Obama during the election cycle.

She, like many of her contemporaries, are finally waking up to the fact that the guy is a frighteningly empty suit so devoted to his own image, he intentionally places himself above a country he repeatedly appears to disdain - the very same country that elected him its president.

The Sestak debacle today will only add to this downfall - the very odd attempted explanation has "Make this a big story" written all over it.

Then add the still-tepid response to the Gulf Oil spill, and the political blow back is going to be significant. How much the White House can shield Obama from himself will prove the biggest question over the next few weeks...

Tip of the hat to Peggy Noonan - this time around she has captured the essence of what is unfolding around Obama in the face of his significant missteps with the health care bill, immigration reform, and now the Gulf Oil crisis. And as I have said before, there is a sense of sadness in seeing this man so out of his depth, so clearly hiding behind an increasingly thin veneer of arrogance in an attempt to hide his incompetence...
____

What continues to fascinate me is Mr. Obama's standing with Democrats. They don't love him. Half the party voted for Hillary Clinton, and her people have never fully reconciled themselves to him. But he is what they have. They are invested in him. In time—after the 2010 elections go badly—they are going to start to peel off. The political operative James Carville, the most vocal and influential of the president's Gulf critics, signaled to Democrats this week that they can start to peel off. He did it through the passion of his denunciations.

The disaster in the Gulf may well spell the political end of the president and his administration, and that is no cause for joy. It's not good to have a president in this position—weakened, polarizing and lacking broad public support—less than halfway through his term. That it is his fault is no comfort. It is not good for the stability of the world, or its safety, that the leader of "the indispensable nation" be so weakened. I never until the past 10 years understood the almost moral imperative that an American president maintain a high standing in the eyes of his countrymen.

Obama? Are you high? He was unqualified from the get-go. He's proved it. He'd make a better leader of one of those mediocre, Euro-nations he's turning the US into. He's a bigger commie than FDR and/or Lincoln.

I'm with Dan on this one... add to that a President who stands before the nation and says that we are drilling so far offshore because we are out of oil... Geeze.. the man's a profligate liar who obviously thinks we're all idiots. Sad.

I'm with Dan on this one... add to that a President who stands before the nation and says that we are drilling so far offshore because we are out of oil... Geeze.. the man's a profligate liar who obviously thinks we're all idiots. Sad.

____

Yes, Obama flat out lied on that one. The fact he attempted to make such an absurd claim only adds fuel to the fire that there is some purposeful incompetence taking place in order to further push the "green agenda" which has been floundering since much of the hot air was taken out of the global warming game.

I choose not to believe such conspiracy at this point - far more likely Obama is simply showing everyone just how little he knows, just how little he is capable of leading in times of crisis, and just how little he actually cares about anyone or anything besides himself...

The problem is that Obama didn't understand the difference between Running For President and Being President. He's never managed anything but his campaign before (and recall he used that as his example of how he was more qualified than Palin to be President, although she was a VP candidate).

He has never left campaign mode, which is very damaging to the country.

He actually said that?

____

I wouldn't count him out yet. Whether you agree with him or not, the healthcare bill will go down as the most significant healthcare legislation since Medicare. Likewise the Financial Reform bill will be biggest regulatory bill the country has see in many years. The immigration reform bill may likewise go down as major legislation.

Obama's response to the oil spill is what I would expect from a Republican administration. Let private industry handle the problem.

He actually said that?

Yes, he did. It's pretty disingenuous given that the U.S. government prevents oil companies from on land and in shallow water exploration.

Now let me make one broader point, though, about energy. The fact that oil companies now have to go a mile underwater and then drill another three miles below that in order to hit oil tells us something about the direction of the oil industry. Extraction is more expensive, and it is going to be inherently more risky.

And so that’s part of the reason you never heard me say, “Drill, baby, drill,” because we can’t drill our way out of the problem. It may be part of the mix as a bridge to a transition to new technologies and new energy sources, but we should be pretty modest in understanding that the easily accessible oil has already been sucked up out of the ground. And as we are moving forward, the technology gets more complicated, the oil sources are more remote, and that means that there’s probably going to end up being more risk. And we as a society are going to have to make some very serious determinations in terms of what risks are we willing to accept, and that’s part of what the commission, I think, has to — is going to have to look at.

Transcript: Obama Press Conference May 27, 2010 at Ironic Surrealism v3.0

____

I wouldn't count him out yet. Whether you agree with him or not, the healthcare bill will go down as the most significant healthcare legislation since Medicare. Likewise the Financial Reform bill will be biggest regulatory bill the country has see in many years. The immigration reform bill may likewise go down as major legislation.

Obama's response to the oil spill is what I would expect from a Republican administration. Let private industry handle the problem.

Prohibition was major legislation as well - don't see too many folks rallying around that mess.

Not too worried about Obama's legacy at this point - far more concerned with seeing November 2010 truly realize its Reset Election potential...

It is not good for the stability of the world, or its safety, that the leader of "the indispensable nation" be so weakened.

He entered office waving a white flag, apologizing for his country. I like Peggy, but she is too charitable here. BO was a flaccid flake on day one.

The flaccid fuckup that you supported allowed 3000 Americans to be murdered on our soil in spite of more that 50 warnings, some specific as to the means and method. Then he allowed the mastermind of the murder to get away scotfree. And invaded a country that had absolutely nothing to do with 9-11 on the basis of lies.

President Barack Hussein Obama has kept the pressure on the terrorists since the day he came into office. Attacking and taking out their leaders irregardless of borders. He has, unlike Bush, shown that he will take advice and help from advesarial nations that see the terrorists as a common danger.

The flaccid fuckup that you supported allowed 3000 Americans to be murdered on our soil in spite of more that 50 warnings, some specific as to the means and method. Then he allowed the mastermind of the murder to get away scotfree. And invaded a country that had absolutely nothing to do with 9-11 on the basis of lies.

President Barack Hussein Obama has kept the pressure on the terrorists since the day he came into office. Attacking and taking out their leaders irregardless of borders. He has, unlike Bush, shown that he will take advice and help from advesarial nations that see the terrorists as a common danger.
____

And yet, so little done to protect the shores of his own nation, and near indifference to the tragedy day after day after day after day...

____

And yet, so little done to protect the shores of his own nation, and near indifference to the tragedy day after day after day after day...

You just hate Obama I think.

____

You just hate Obama I think.

You just hate accountability I think.

Forum List

Back