'He invited us': Accused Capitol rioters blame Trump in novel legal defense

surada

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2021

(Reuters) - Emanuel Jackson, a 20-year-old Washington area man, was caught on video using a metal bat to strike the protective shields wielded by police officers as they tried to fend off rioters storming the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Jackson, awaiting trial in federal court on assault charges, is now adopting a novel legal defense: seeking to pin the blame on Donald Trump, citing the former president’s remarks at a “Stop the Steal” rally shortly before the Capitol siege.

Trump told the crowd to “fight like hell,” said “we will not take it anymore” and repeated his false claims that the election was stolen from him through widespread voting fraud. Trump exhorted his followers to go to the Capitol. The ensuing rampage interrupted the congressional certification of President Joe Biden’s election victory, sent lawmakers into hiding and left five people dead including a police officer.

Jackson’s lawyer, Brandi Harden, wrote in a Jan. 22 court filing that “the nature and circumstances of this offense must be viewed through the lens of an event inspired by the President of the United States.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this ought to be interesting. Nice defense ... "the president asked me to do it." I wonder how Trump will take it if the idiot is acquitted on that account...

(Reuters) - Emanuel Jackson, a 20-year-old Washington area man, was caught on video using a metal bat to strike the protective shields wielded by police officers as they tried to fend off rioters storming the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

Jackson, awaiting trial in federal court on assault charges, is now adopting a novel legal defense: seeking to pin the blame on Donald Trump, citing the former president’s remarks at a “Stop the Steal” rally shortly before the Capitol siege.

Trump told the crowd to “fight like hell,” said “we will not take it anymore” and repeated his false claims that the election was stolen from him through widespread voting fraud. Trump exhorted his followers to go to the Capitol. The ensuing rampage interrupted the congressional certification of President Joe Biden’s election victory, sent lawmakers into hiding and left five people dead including a police officer.

Jackson’s lawyer, Brandi Harden, wrote in a Jan. 22 court filing that “the nature and circumstances of this offense must be viewed through the lens of an event inspired by the President of the United States.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this ought to be interesting. Nice defense ... "the president asked me to do it." I wonder how Trump will take it if the idiot is acquitted on that account...
If Cletus gets a jury of his peers, he may get off using the argument...they probably don't know there are 3 branches of government and a President can't invite anyone to Capitol Hill.

^
FAKE NEWS ALERT!

A rare moment on truth from a Trump supporter.

That Trump incited the 1/6 terrorist attack on America’s democracy is a fact settled, accepted, and beyond dispute.

Oh great. So now if we commit some crime we can just say Biden told me to.

Gee sounds like a lib

Mindless lemmings.

The he made me do it excuse didn’t work in kindergarten it’s not going to work here

I seem to remember Barry telling illegals to vote.

That's not what Obama said at all. Check your facts and stop spreading lies.
It’s always amusing when people cannot take responsibility for their own actions. Listening to a demagogue is a puerile excuse to lay siege to the capitol...

If they weren't Lemmings, they wouldn't follow Trump at all.

Mindless lemmings.

No question about them being Lemmings.

Here's how it'll go down: The people who already know this will say "Yeah, no crap he invited them." the few million Trump folks left will say "Personal responsibility! He didn't invite you! Go to jail for your master!" and nobody will change their mind.

The fact that they are willing to blame the former president is an indication that they weren't there to support Trump in the first place.

Trump incited them for weeks with his tweets and speeches. What did you think would happen?
If tweets and speeches by politicians were to blame for riots Obama would have been indicted years ago "if they bring a knife to the fight we will bring a gun"....Barry Hussein.

The fact that they are willing to blame the former president is an indication that they weren't there to support Trump in the first place.

Trump incited them for weeks with his tweets and speeches. What did you think would happen?
If tweets and speeches by politicians were to blame for riots Obama would have been indicted years ago "if they bring a knife to the fight we will bring a gun"....Barry Hussein.

Obama used to say a rising tide lifts all boats and he appealed to the honor of Americans.. He used to say "We are better than this"..

Trump is just a pig.

Mindless lemmings.

No question about them being Lemmings.

Agree,

Forum List

Back