Have you ever waited tables or been a bartender?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
The other thread about the "Facebook" waitress got me wondering how many of us have worked (or still do work) in the "Biz" as we used to call it.

How long did you wait/bartend-and did you enjoy it?

The other thread about the "Facebook" waitress got me wondering how many of us have worked (or still do work) in the "Biz" as we used to call it.

I did bartend for awhile after my divorce. I enjoyed it for a couple of years until I started getting so tired of looking at drunks.

The money was good.

I waited tables when I was younger. Mom said earning your own money is character building. She was right.... again. It's an annoying habit with Mothers. Damn them!

Anyway, it was really hard work but I liked it. Tips were cool! I don't think I have the temperament to wait tables - I find it hard to be nice to rude people. But most people were pretty nice and it was a fun time.

This information may wreck my forum image as a spoiled brat but I'll risk it.

Waited tables for 3 years in high school. On Saturdays from 8-12 could make $150 on big counter that seated 25. That was in the mid 70's. After school, 4-7 would make 35-50 bucks. To this day I can't figure out why I left that to work min. wage in book store, other than not smelling like fries. ;)

first job: local soda fountain/diner....in local shopping center....a little bartending mostly just pulling beers

I think location has a lot to do with it. I worked at Henrici's in Oak Brook Center, the restaurant was well known in Chicago for dining room. The coffee shop though is where the money was made. ;)

During summers while an undergrad, I did - waitress, then cocktail waitress. Folks didn't understand why I never co-opped. I told them I made tons more money doing this during summers than I ever would taking a co-op position.

I also bartended for about a month while at school. My parents found out and I had to quit. They forbade me from working while at school. Bummer.

I started at my job after my junior year in college (since you had to be 21 where to serve drinks)- the money was so good for a college kid! When I went back to IU (in Bloomington, about an hour south of Indy) I kept my job, and would drive home every other weekend and pick up shifts, still making more money in 2 nights than I could have in 2 weeks in some retail job.

I started at my job after my junior year in college (since you had to be 21 where to serve drinks)- the money was so good for a college kid! When I went back to IU (in Bloomington, about an hour south of Indy) I kept my job, and would drive home every other weekend and pick up shifts, still making more money in 2 nights than I could have in 2 weeks in some retail job.
Exactly! I was a food waitress until I was 21, then became a cocktail waitress. Even just serving food (the cocktail waitress served the alcohol), I made a bunch of money for a kid.

I supported myself waitressing for a year after high school before I went to college. I worked as a waitress while I was a college student too.

I enjoyed the 'drama' of it. It was a bit like theater in that you had to be 'on' and do a character no matter how you felt inside.

I was the guy who hassled waitresses by asking them what they were doing after work. :lol:

oh, I remember you and your "kind" :cuckoo:

I had guys call me 'skirt'

"Hey Skirt, get me another drink!"

Or Legs, or sweetie or honey,,,,then ask to meet me to meet them for a drink after work.

No way Jose!

But, at my work place there are at least 10 couples who started dating while we all worked together, and got married, and are still married after all these years. I think that's so cool! And we all still hang out too.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I was the guy who hassled waitresses by asking them what they were doing after work. :lol:

Or Legs, or sweetie or honey,,,,then ask to meet me to meet them for a drink after work.

No way Jose!

But, at my work place there are at least 10 couples who started dating while we all worked together, and got married, and are still married after all these years. I think that's so cool! And we all still hang out too.

:lol: Oh I was far more tactful than to call a woman a skirt but it still never worked :lol:

No way Jose!

LOL. It helps to have one general manager as a connected-in-Chicago Italian-American and the other general manager as an ex-NFL player at the two places I worked for those particluar situations. These guys took care of us nicely ('nicely' being subjective, of course, depending on which end of that sort of 'niceness' one is).

:lol:

I waited tables years ago. I was working for a restaurant chain and I was transferred to a store that had a wait staff. I was managing at the time, so I didn't have to do too much table service, but I did my fair share.

As far as bartending goes ... I've always wanted to bartend. Maybe one day I still may. BUT ... it would have to be in a smoke-free bar/club. I refuse to breath that crap in while I socialize, flirt and mix some tasty drinks.

First real job (started when I was sixteen). I was a hostess at a family buffet resaurant. Didn't wait tables,mostly just served coffee and worked the register... rate of pay was $2.90 per hour and we didn't get tips. Later sometimes I also did kitchen prep work. Worked there through all of my high school years.

Yes.

I have washed dishes, short order cooked, waited table and tended bar.

Tending bar is the most fun and pay the best.

It also offers more social cache than the other jobs.

I really enjoyed tending bar when I was in the right place.

If I had the money to invest, there's a little Jazz club in the Delaware Water Gap I'd buy in heartbeat.

And yes, I'd probably tend bar there, too even if I did own it.

It's a good job and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes dealing with people and doesn't mind working rather hard during rush hours.

And if you're a young man?

Shit boys, being a bartender is like having a license to get laid if you're working the right joints.

There's something that happens to some women when they're drinking and can look, but cannot touch.

Don't know how else to explain that, but it's definitely true.

Tending bar, assuming you're in the right place, can be one hell of a lot of fun.

Last edited:

I had a cafe for a few years and would fill in waiting tables as needed.

I found out that Brits are bad tippers, and sometimes your most unfriendly customer was your best tipper. I discovered that, when you were slammed, you often didn't make any more in tips overall than when the pace was more reasonable, because the service would not be as good. Some person who seemed so nice and friendly might be a cheapskate.

It's okay work. It takes a lot of skill and multitasking.

Forum List

Back