Have you ever hired a maid to clean your house?

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
And what do you do while they are there? Do you tip them? How much? Do you tell them where to clean? Do you trust them?

yes but it was a long time ago ....and they were cleaning crews from the business i worked with...so i did trust them....i do not remember if i tipped them or not

Yes. I've had a regular cleaning person come in once a week for years. The current one has worked for me for four years. I pay her at the high end of the market rate, and give her a nice Christmas Bonus each year (a little over two weeks of pay).

She was recommended by someone I trust - which is critical given that she has a key to our house. When she first started, we walked through the house, and I reviewed with her what I wanted done. From time to time, I ask her to do some extra work and pay for the additional time it takes. Other than that, she is pretty autonomous.

If you are really busy and can afford it, having someone clean the house is Serenity Insurance.

Last edited:
And what do you do while they are there? Do you tip them? How much? Do you tell them where to clean? Do you trust them?

You tell them what you want them to do, what products to use even. They'll give you a price for your approval. You don't have to be there, they can do it while you're at work if you like.

They have references so you can call them before hiring.

We do our own now but I had one when my daughter was little and we both worked full time. It can be a very good thing. Kids alone are time consuming with all of their activities.

Yes,
Nothing.
No.
Nothing.
No.
Yes.

I need to add that we only use one about twice a year, to give it a good top to bottom cleaning, etc. Usually right before the holidays and then once in the spring/early summer sometime. The rest of the time my wife and I maintain.

I have had a housekeeper/cook for several years now. I trust her completely.
tipping? Well I bought her a nice little used car a few weeks ago and am having it fixed up right now. She does not know yet.

Yes,
Nothing.
No.
Nothing.
No.
Yes.

I need to add that we only use one about twice a year, to give it a good top to bottom cleaning, etc. Usually right before the holidays and then once in the spring/early summer sometime. The rest of the time my wife and I maintain.

I thought about doing that before.

Yes,
Nothing.
No.
Nothing.
No.
Yes.

It's worth it. What we do is clean the basic stuff in the house before they come, so they can do all the stuff that we never do...scrub the baseboards, dust the light fixtures, clean behind the furniture etc.

I have a cleaning lady come in once a week.
I trust her. She also cleans the bank.
At first I told her the things I wanted done. If I don't she just sort of does generic cleaning.
I pay her wage, I certainly don't tip her, though I gave her a small bonus for Christmas.
I usually only see her once a month, when I pay her. If I happen to be home when she comes, I either go in my room and watch tv, play on the computer, or I start working on something that needs done.
My sister has also always had a cleaning lady. She comes in once or twice a week, and then for the holidays and throughout the year, she'll have her come in for organizing, getting the house ready for guests or holidays, whatever. When they do that, often it will be my sister, the cleaning lady, the gardiner, a few kids from the church, and some relatives of the cleaning lady (at least one needs to have a truck). They do things like clean up around the house, get the pool in working order, clean out the storage in the basement, run to Salvation Army and the dump, etc.

Anyone can clean house but my housekeeper is a great cook and bakes award winning deserts.
Pineapple upside down cake yesterday. so scrumptious. gotta go get another piece and a cup of coffee. Back later.

She is off on weekends but generally bakes and cooks stuff for me and brings it over anyway.
She is a gem.
After I am gone her and her husband still have residency rights in their house on the farm and will be paid by the inperpetuity(sp?) trust for the farm.

It's worth it. What we do is clean the basic stuff in the house before they come, so they can do all the stuff that we never do...scrub the baseboards, dust the light fixtures, clean behind the furniture etc.

:) I was looking at those light fixtures the other day.. I usually clean them when a bulb burns out but I have those 9 yr. things in now.

:) I was looking at those light fixtures the other day.. I usually clean them when a bulb burns out but I have those 9 yr. things in now.

LOL. gotcha.

Elitists. :)

My wife recently hinted she wants one to come to our house and work. If that is what she wants, I will probably do it.

you don't help. stay out of their way. lol.. ... no tip if they're working for themselves. if they work for someone else, tip what you'd like. Tell them what your priorities are but don't hover over them. if you know them well, no need to be there.

Last edited:
Yes, always. I was reared with them, and I continued the wonderful luxury. They need the work and I need the time it saves. I never like to be here when they clean. They can focus better without me and I leave their basic pay for basic cleaning, in the kitchen. They bring their own supplies. I have the house prepped for them so they don't have to do anything but clean. I have only been burned once. I since, have asked for several referrals and ask good questions of those people. Example: ( How long would you wish to have this cleaning person, clean for you, and why? ) I have had better success with only one person, as opposed to housecleaning teams.

Hint: If you want your bed made to your specifics, make sure you show them and/or make it with them, so they memorize it. ( I'm huge on this )

I like to do the intricate cleaning myself. I have much glass and want only my gentle loving hands on it.

No weekly tip. One at Christmas, equaling one month's pay.

Best,

Aqua*

LOL. gotcha.

They have really cool cleaning equipment and tools now that make everything easier but sometimes you have to drag a ladder out and get going. I put that stuff off.

Have you ever hired a maid to clean your house?

Four times. The first three were Republicans who didn't know how to "clean up a mess". Two actually made the mess worse. From now on, I'll always ask for "party affiliation".

No, I clean my own house.

I built my own house

I paid for my own house.

I paid for my children's education

I grow my own tomatoes.

I bought and paid for my own car

I bought and paid for my own insurance.. and paid the difference.

and I never expected anyone to clean my toilets either.

Forum List

Back