Has the Bible ever been proven wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glockmail

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2006
The beautiful Yadkin Valley
I heard a preacher on the radio a while back claim that it never has, so I used this as a challenge in another thread, and the resulting discussion has been ongoing for quite some time, and has taken over the original topic. I thought it might be interesting to start a specific thread for this separate issue. Here's how it started: http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=497953&postcount=89

Besides, it appears Matts needs some help. Who knows, maybe I will as well.

I heard a preacher on the radio a while back claim that it never has, so I used this as a challenge in another thread, and the resulting discussion has been ongoing for quite some time, and has taken over the original topic. I thought it might be interesting to start a specific thread for this separate issue. Here's how it started: http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=497953&postcount=89

intersting premise....what has been proven right?

Quite a lot, actually. Archeological finds continue to agree with the Biblical record. The "big bang" theory closely resembles the story of creation. Plus, the whole "fullfilling the Scriptures" thing.

oh ok that settels it then....not

hmmmm---have humans even proven that we even exist to anyone but ourselves?

hmmmm---have humans even proven that we even exist to anyone but ourselves?
That brings up an important point: the standard for burden of proof. When arguing with an atheist, they often raise the bar so high as to make nothing provable. I therefore suggest the highest standard used in the US legal system: beyond a reasonable doubt.

I have found thsi too to be rejected by most atheists. But this simply proves that they are unreasonable.

That brings up an important point: the standard for burden of proof. When arguing with an atheist, they often raise the bar so high as to make nothing provable. I therefore suggest the highest standard used in the US legal system: beyond a reasonable doubt.

I have found thsi too to be rejected by most atheists. But this simply proves that they are unreasonable.

ok prove three things in the bible that a jury of twelve would say are true beyond a reasonable doubt

Quite a lot, actually. Archeological finds continue to agree with the Biblical record. The "big bang" theory closely resembles the story of creation. Plus, the whole "fullfilling the Scriptures" thing.

The existence of places and people mentioned in the Bible doesn't make it 100% accurate in its entirety. There were real places mentioned in Homer's Odyssey. Most mythology had enough reality sewn into it as to make it believable, especially to those who want to believe it.

ok prove three things in the bible that a jury of twelve would say are true beyond a reasonable doubt

Firstly, check out "A Case for Christ," by Lee Strobel. It's much longer than I can post here, but it makes a legal case for the complete story of Jesus Christ. There was also a similar book written by a British lawyer intent on proving that the Jesus story was bogus, but came to the conclusion that with 4 corroborating witness stories that match historically verifiable evidence, the story was true beyond a reasonable doubt. He published his book and converted to Christianity.

Next, check out "Exodus Decoded," on the History Channel and produced by James Cameron. It gives a full array of archeological evidence that supports, beyond a reasonable doubt, the Biblical account of the entire book of Exodus, from evidence of all ten plagues to the location of Mt. Sinai, to what is believed to be an actual image of the Ark of the Covenant.

The entire chronological account from the annihilation of Canaan to the conquests by other nations has been archeologically proven, and accounts of the battles are so accurate that generals throughout history have taken Bibles with them to that area of the world not (solely) for their spiritual content, but because it has a detailed account of over half of the major military actions occurring in that area and is an excellent source of battle strategy for that area.

Archeologists also tend to carry Bibles for their historical accuracy.

About the only thing people think they can prove wrong about the Bible is the age of the Earth. The problem is that the estimated Biblical age starts with the base assumption that the Jewish geneologies contain all relatives. However, ancient Jewish geneologies only record ancestors of note, and the Bible also claims that people lived hundreds of years, potentially throwing off all calculations, as people might have been able to bear (or at least father) children well past the modern 50 year average.

I'll give you the lesser burden used in civil cases, preponderance of the evidence. You aren't allowed to use hearsay. For the purpose of this discussion, the definition of hearsay is: Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony. Present your case.

I met Ron Wyatt, an archeologist, on one of his return visits from Turkey when he was trying to negociate with the government to allow him to continue his excavation. And I saw the artifacts he claimed to be the ones he took from the Red Sea. I know his family as well. I had no reason to doubt him or his findings.
His story is quite interesting.

http://www.wyattmuseum.com/noahs-ark.htm

Big Difference - According to Genesis, the sun was created AFTER the earth. :)

Big Difference - According to Genesis, the sun was created AFTER the earth. :)

Actually, it kinda fits from the perspective of Earth. When the dust was still settling, you wouldn't have been able to see the stars, moon, or sun at all, just light in the daytime and darkness at night, like a continuous fog. Once the dust settled, you could see celestial bodies.

There might also be nuances of meaning in the original Hebrew where one word translated as "Earth" may have meant "universe."

The existence of places and people mentioned in the Bible doesn't make it 100% accurate in its entirety. There were real places mentioned in Homer's Odyssey. Most mythology .....
There you go with that 100% requirement. It doesn't surprise me that you dismiss beyond reasonable doubt, as I surmised in post 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back