Has racial and ethnic humor become forbidden? There was a time when we used to be able to come together and laugh about our differences

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
Remember when we used to be able to make ethnic and racial jokes? There was a time when humor was a major source of social engagement between people, who enjoyed laughing at themselves and the stereotypes attributed to them. In other words, they weren't so sensitive that they couldn't see the humor in a few innocuous manifestations of witty dialogue.

My old buddy, Leroy Spivey, a cop I worked with in a radio car for a few years, didn't have any hang-ups about racial comedy. In addition, he wasn't so narcissistic about his color that he wouldn't get a kick out of a funny story.

One story he used to tell was about a black guy who was crossing a street and got hit by a car driven by a white guy who was speeding. He said the black guy was thrown about fifty feet because of the impact. The people listening to the story would be appropriately shocked, asking, what happened to the driver? "Well," Leroy said, feigning outrage, but readying the punch line, "when the cops got to the scene, they picked up the black guy and arrested him for leaving the scene of an accident." After the initial look of bewilderment, everyone in the room, including Leroy, would bust our laughing.

They were laughing not at the authenticity of the story, which was in fact apocryphal, but at the silliness of it. My erstwhile partner was making a joke out of the serious issue of race discrimination. It was a clever way of illustrating actual race prejudice by using an absurd example.

There's a trait attributed to the Irish: they have a propensity toward liquid vegetables such as barley, corn, rye, and hops.

(Excerpt) Read more at americanthinker.com ...

Watch some of the old Dean Martin Roasts. You’ll hear a lot of ethnic and racial jokes, and no one gets their feathers ruffled. It’s also fun to watch the roasts of politicians like Ronald Reagan and Hubert Humphrey. It’s refreshing to watch people with political differences poke fun at each other and yet still respect each other.

Remember when we used to be able to make ethnic and racial jokes? There was a time when humor was a major source of social engagement between people, who enjoyed laughing at themselves and the stereotypes attributed to them. In other words, they weren't so sensitive that they couldn't see the humor in a few innocuous manifestations of witty dialogue.

My old buddy, Leroy Spivey, a cop I worked with in a radio car for a few years, didn't have any hang-ups about racial comedy. In addition, he wasn't so narcissistic about his color that he wouldn't get a kick out of a funny story.

One story he used to tell was about a black guy who was crossing a street and got hit by a car driven by a white guy who was speeding. He said the black guy was thrown about fifty feet because of the impact. The people listening to the story would be appropriately shocked, asking, what happened to the driver? "Well," Leroy said, feigning outrage, but readying the punch line, "when the cops got to the scene, they picked up the black guy and arrested him for leaving the scene of an accident." After the initial look of bewilderment, everyone in the room, including Leroy, would bust our laughing.

They were laughing not at the authenticity of the story, which was in fact apocryphal, but at the silliness of it. My erstwhile partner was making a joke out of the serious issue of race discrimination. It was a clever way of illustrating actual race prejudice by using an absurd example.

There's a trait attributed to the Irish: they have a propensity toward liquid vegetables such as barley, corn, rye, and hops.

Watch some of the old Dean Martin Roasts. You’ll hear a lot of ethnic and racial jokes, and no one gets their feathers ruffled. It’s also fun to watch the roasts of politicians like Ronald Reagan and Hubert Humphrey. It’s refreshing to watch people with political differences poke fun at each other and yet still respect each other.
Comedians still do. Back in those days politicians weren't telling those kind of "jokes" like they do now.

Stand up comedy will end up like Vaudeville. Only the woke have permission to tell these jokes....Going to end soon

It hasn't become forbidden altogether but racist woke orthodoxy has determined that some are off limits, while others are fair game.

It hasn't become forbidden altogether but racist woke orthodoxy has determined that some are off limits, while others are fair game.

Actually, it's nothing new.

Remember James Watt? He lost his job as Interior Secretary in 1983 because he made a joke about "two Jews and a cripple".

Or Earl Butz? He lost his job in 1976 for saying something about black people that was obnoxious.

so while it is funny to watch you guys whine about "Woke" and "Political Correctness", I remember it under it's original title, "Not being a shitty human being."

• Love
Reactions: IM2
Yes, you can still make ethnic and racial jokes.....

However, all jokes are not created equal......if your jokes suck...that is your problem.....

And conservatives suck at comedy quite a bit -- which is why the majority of the greatest comics in history are not conservatives

• Love
Yes, you can still make ethnic and racial jokes.....

However, all jokes are not created equal......if your jokes suck...that is your problem.....

And conservatives suck at comedy quite a bit -- which is why the majority of the greatest comics in history are not conservatives
Leftists suck at comedy even more.

Liberals (not leftists) are nearly 100% of comedians.

"Native Americans are savages that delight in war and take pride in murder" - Ben Franklin

to those who disagree, why do you hate Benjamin Franklin?

What you mean there was a time when you could ridicule blacks because of there colour and the same to other breeds.
You call yourselves Christians.

• Love

Ah the good old days.

• Love
You can still tell racist jokes, you just have to be prepared to accept the response for doing so. Funny how it is only right wing white men who are whining because they can't be racists.

The best way to defuse offensive conduct like racism and sexism is to make it the butt of humor. That shows that offensive attitudes and comments aren't even worth taking seriously.

What you mean there was a time when you could ridicule blacks because of there colour and the same to other breeds.
You call yourselves Christians.
Blacks, Poles, Latinos, Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Scots, English, Rednecks, Protestants and Catholics all were fair game for jokes as well as fat people, people who wore glasses or dressed funny. Pretty much everyone was the butt of humor from time to time. Listen to Don Rickles or Mel Brooks for examples, although Rickles humor always seemed to be right on the edge of offensive to me.

The Purge

The Ku Klux Klan in part started off as a joke.

White men dressed up in white sheets, and went to the black part of town to scare black people to think they were ghost because black people we seen as very religious.

DEpNxFUXUAImywH

But them jokes became this

3854659526.jpg

And let's be clear one thing

Most of the black people who were hung and lynched were black business owners.

Black people who were seen as to uppity. That's why when white or non black people start talking "Well you know black people and crime" "and black people and drugs" all that doesn't matter. Even when blk ppl were pillars of the community, upstanding members of society, they got it too.

Questions ?

"But what was years ago ?"

Go and ask Barack Obama if being and educated, successful well spoken, no crimes, well dressed, no baby mama having and say what you want about his presidency there was not one bit of personal scandal on that man in two terms of office.

Now ask Obama if that stopped him from getting racism ?

Jim Crow started off as a joke by a white man named Thomas Dartmouth Rice dressing in blackface to mock Black Americans.

ELywyOQU8AABnwC

And the Jim Crow "joke" turned into Jim Crow LAWS.

E-WhiteOnly.jpg

6829bd6943866cac92aa8f92eb4946caaff5591d.jpg

The Nazi’s were inspired by the anti-Black Jim Crow laws of white supremacists in America.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back