Has Democracy Jumped the Shark?

My take? A viable 3rd party that can garner enough support in the congress to prevent either major party rom achieving a 51% majority.

Which can't happen without campaign finance reform. Which Republicans oppose tooth and nail, and Democrats support.

The fundamental problem is that politicians can be bought. Nobody wants to buy a third party candidate, because they can't deliver any goods. If you don't fix that fundamental issue, you're just rearranging the deck chairs.

I no longer have any faith that democracy can produce good government in the US. Our elections have become, squarely and purely, a game of manipulating idiots. The leaders and administrations we get are those that can most effectively manipulate the legions of mouth-breathers going to the polls. We need something else. But what?
That is why we were founded as a REPUBLIC with representatives and not all allowed to vote---Mob rule corrupts governments and democracies are mob rule. Not everyone is created equal---1/2 the population have below average iq. The founders never intended the town drunks and losers to have an equal say in the government as those who actually contribute to the country.

democrats have millions of non-citizens voting. Foreign nationals with loyalty to other countries have equal say in the ruling on this nation. That is shear insanity.

My take? A viable 3rd party that can garner enough support in the congress to prevent either major party rom achieving a 51% majority.

Which can't happen without campaign finance reform. Which Republicans oppose tooth and nail, and Democrats support.

Yes of course. The government should decide who gets funding for campaigns. Why didn't I think of that?!?!?

I no longer have any faith that democracy can produce good government in the US. Our elections have become, squarely and purely, a game of manipulating idiots. The leaders and administrations we get are those that can most effectively manipulate the legions of mouth-breathers going to the polls. We need something else. But what?

Democracy has failed, not only this being whoever can manipulate the legions of mouth-breathers to go to the polls but also so many politicians are easily corrupted either by bags of filthy lucre or by other types of blackmail. Many politicians vote against the wishes of their electorate, they are beholden to whatever Lobby Group has bought them or whoever is blackmailing them.

The Government has not been of the people for many decades, President Trump wants to give the Government back to the people, this is why all these Shadowy Groups have been fighting him, they want to keep the control and for the people to have as little control over their lives as possible, no wonder they are all so orgasmic about the Human Rights abuses that the COVID-19 excuse is giving them, it is the road that leads them to 100% control over every man, woman and child.

That attitude is the very bedrock excuse of every fascist dictator that ever murdered democracy for their own selfish ambition. If you think democracy is a failure you need to look at what happens to countries that stop respecting the will of the people.

That attitude is the very bedrock excuse of every fascist dictator that ever murdered democracy for their own selfish ambition. If you think democracy is a failure you need to look at what happens to countries that stop respecting the will of the people.
I'm not really saying democracy is the problem, just that we're doing it wrong. Do you disagree? Was Trump an example of democracy producing good government in your view?

I no longer have any faith the democracy can produce good government in the US. Our elections have become, squarely and purely, a game of manipulating idiots. The leaders and administrations we get, are those that can most effectively manipulate the legions of mouth-breathers going to the polls. We need something else. But what?
a democracy has never worked and why the US went with a republic,, the problem we have is the party system that keeps the people divided and where corruption is par for the course,,,

Sorry but US has barely a Republic... The Senate is controlled by a party who got 44% of the vote while the party that got 55% go minority... That is the opposite of what a Republic wants...

US has to respect Democracy more... Small States are over represented... California has over the combined population of 20 states and has 2 senators compared to 40...

Puerto Rico is bigger than Iowa or the four lowest states combined has no representation in the senate. And it shows, they have the lowest GDP per captia in US outside the territories...

US has to respect Democracy more... Small States are over represented... California has over the combined population of 20 states and has 2 senators compared to 40...

Well hell, we should just have the election in California then, and stop wasting time with the other states. Good call.

I think it's changed markedly. The advertising industry, especially with the advent of television and the internet, has become all too adept at manipulating uncritical thinkers
Advertising is part of the problem but the so called "News" Industry is the number one problem in terms of manipulation of the masses IMO.

I think it's changed markedly. The advertising industry, especially with the advent of television and the internet, has become all too adept at manipulating uncritical thinkers
Advertising is part of the problem but the so called "News" Industry is the number one problem in terms of manipulation of the masses IMO.
What's the difference?

How about a more fundamental question. What's so noble and virtuous about majority rule in the first place? Does anyone think that the majority is always, or even usually, right?

So you are sing that the will of the people to our government is "what are you going to give me now"?

Democracy has failed, not only this being whoever can manipulate the legions of mouth-breathers to go to the polls but also so many politicians are easily corrupted either by bags of filthy lucre or by other types of blackmail. Many politicians vote against the wishes of their electorate, they are beholden to whatever Lobby Group has bought them or whoever is blackmailing them.

The Government has not been of the people for many decades, President Trump wants to give the Government back to the people, this is why all these Shadowy Groups have been fighting him, they want to keep the control and for the people to have as little control over their lives as possible, no wonder they are all so orgasmic about the Human Rights abuses that the COVID-19 excuse is giving them, it is the road that leads them to 100% control over every man, woman and child.

People in charge as opposed to the Oligarchy is the central theme of dblack It is what he is determined to prevent. Any threat to the Oligarchy has him reacting strongly.

I no longer have any faith the democracy can produce good government in the US. Our elections have become, squarely and purely, a game of manipulating idiots. The leaders and administrations we get, are those that can most effectively manipulate the legions of mouth-breathers going to the polls. We need something else. But what?
a democracy has never worked and why the US went with a republic,, the problem we have is the party system that keeps the people divided and where corruption is par for the course,,,

Sorry but US has barely a Republic... The Senate is controlled by a party who got 44% of the vote while the party that got 55% go minority... That is the opposite of what a Republic wants...

Puerto Rico is bigger than Iowa or the four lowest states combined has no representation in the senate. And it shows, they have the lowest GDP per captia in US outside the territories...

. The Senate is controlled by a party who got 44% of the vote while the party that got 55% go minority

I'd like to see an explanation of that.

are you saying that the senators in office didn't win the vote in their respective areas?

Or is your claim that OVERALL, Democrats won more votes?

California has over the combined population of 20 states and has 2 senators compared to 40...

EVERY state has 2 senators.

the HOUSE is based on population.

Forum List

Back