Harry Potter is going to die

Redhots

Apr 9, 2006
Rowling: Two 'Potter' Characters Will Die

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BRITAIN_ROWLING?SITE=ORROS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

LONDON (AP) -- Author J.K. Rowling said two characters will die in the last installment of her boy wizard series, and she hinted Harry Potter might not survive either.

"I have never been tempted to kill him off before the final because I've always planned seven books, and I want to finish on seven books," Rowling said Monday on TV here.

"I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, `Well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels. So it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Rowling declined to commit herself about Harry, saying she doesn't want to receive hate mail.

"The last book is not finished. But I'm well into it now. I wrote the final chapter in something like 1990, so I've known exactly how the series is going to end," she said.

Some characters might die, but the blockbuster movie franchise lives on. Warner Bros. Pictures has announced that the fifth installment will be released in U.S. theaters, including Imax screens, on July 13, 2007.

In "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," directed by David Yates, the teenage Harry continues to battle the evil Lord Voldemort (again played by Ralph Fiennes) and his followers. Daniel Radcliffe is returning as the title character, and Emma Watson and Rupert Grint reprise their roles as Hermione and Ron. Oscar-nominated actress Imelda Staunton plays the malicious, frumpy Professor Dolores Umbridge, who tortures Harry.

In her Monday interview on the "Richard and Judy" show, Rowling said people are sometimes shocked to hear that she wrote the end of book seven before she had a publisher for the first book in the series.

"The final chapter is hidden away, although it's now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die," she said. "A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil here. They don't target extras do they? They go for the main characters. Well, I do."

Rowling is the richest woman in Britain - wealthier than even the queen - with a fortune estimated by Forbes magazine last year at more than $1 billion.

Whatever she writes next, Rowling is sure of one thing: It won't be as successful as Harry Potter.

"I don't think I'm ever going to have anything like Harry again. You just get one like Harry."

While we all know death is a fact of life, I wonder about the impact of such a thing will be on the children.
I remember when my son was little, and Mary Tyler Moore's, "Rhoda & Joe" were getting a divorce. He was quite upset. It takes some time for a child to learn, this is all make believe.

The author needs to find another means of ending her characters; if no more than to leave the ending to one's imagination.

jillian said:
I think he'll go bravely, though. :(
What else would you expect? Both his parents fighting Death Eaters & all. I don't think they are handicapped, either, in that hospital. I think they are just biding their time.

You want to know what main character i think she will kill off?

Voldemort

I mean think about it. He is a main character.

And so what if they kill Harry off? Its not like she cant bring him back to life. I mean we've already seen Voldemort brought back to life.

Oh NO! Does Fuzzykitten know about this? :laugh:

Joz, I thought Joe died?

My mother could make the world stop so she could watch Rhoda "New York, this is your last chance." :laugh:

You want to know what main character i think she will kill off?

Voldemort

I mean think about it. He is a main character.

And so what if they kill Harry off? Its not like she cant bring him back to life. I mean we've already seen Voldemort brought back to life.
Dumbledore isn't dead, either. Just watch.

Said1 said:
Oh NO! Does Fuzzykitten know about this?
oh, knew about it alright! I get my HP news from Mugglenet.com, and they posted this info 2 days ago (not this particular article though) in their news postings.

My theory: It wasn't the REAL Snape that 'killed' Dumbledore, but someone under the influence of polyjuice potion, possibly Bellatrix or Lucius.

Sirius falling behind the archway in OotP was a cover-up for something...possibly having quite a bit to do with Dumbledore's so-called death. Dumbledore's brother may also have a bigger part in all this, other than just being mentioned occasionally.

Harry's possible death? Maybe...but he definitely will triumph over Voldemort, because the series is all about good overcoming evil, and choosing what is right, not what is easy.

The OotP movie is due out 7/13/07, and book 7 is slated to be out around that same time.

Nienna said:
What else would you expect? Both his parents fighting Death Eaters & all. I don't think they are handicapped, either, in that hospital. I think they are just biding their time.

I dunno, the crucio curse seems to have left Neville's parents pretty much vegetables, but with HP books, you never know. But I think Neville will show the heart of an auror.

My son thinks she's gonna kill off Harry who will take out Voldemort at the same time. I think that goes against the prophesy, though, since one has to die for the other to live.

New Topics

Forum List

Back