Harold Simmons, TX Billionaire, Dead at 82

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
(Reuters) - Billionaire Harold Simmons, one of the richest men in America and a major contributor to the Republican Party, has died in his native Texas at 82.

The death, confirmed in a statement by Texas Governor Rick Perry, was first reported on the website of the Dallas Morning News which said he died on Saturday at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

His wife, Annette, told the newspaper Simmons had been "very sick for the last two weeks," and in Baylor's intensive care unit for the last eight days.

She did not give a specific cause of death.

That's too young. Yeah, I know he led a long, full life, blah-blah-blah ... but that's too young. He should have seen at least another eight years.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/30/us-usa-people-simmons-idUSBRE9BT02C20131230

Last edited:
  • Banned
Anybody read the article? He's doing the same thing Mr. and Mrs. Gates and Warren Buffet have planned.

From the link in the OP:

Simmons's donations were not limited to the political arena. He and his wife had pledged to give more than half of their wealth to charity, joining an effort launched by investor Warren Buffett.

Simmons had also pledged more than $177 million to health research efforts at the University of Texas-Southwestern in Dallas, and another $50 million to Parkland Health and Hospital System, a public hospital in Dallas.

His charitable foundation supports a wide array of causes, including some that might anger conservatives.

In 2010, the Harold Simmons Foundation gave $75,000 to public broadcasting organizations, $2,500 to Planned Parenthood, and $25,000 to Public Campaign, a Washington-based organization that "aims to dramatically reduce the role of big special interest money in American politics."

Last edited:
Anybody read the article? He's doing the same thing Mr. and Mrs. Gates and Warren Buffet have planned.

From the link in the OP:

Simmons's donations were not limited to the political arena. He and his wife had pledged to give more than half of their wealth to charity, joining an effort launched by investor Warren Buffett.

Simmons had also pledged more than $177 million to health research efforts at the University of Texas-Southwestern in Dallas, and another $50 million to Parkland Health and Hospital System, a public hospital in Dallas.

His charitable foundation supports a wide array of causes, including some that might anger conservatives.

In 2010, the Harold Simmons Foundation gave $75,000 to public broadcasting organizations, $2,500 to Planned Parenthood, and $25,000 to Public Campaign, a Washington-based organization that "aims to dramatically reduce the role of big special interest money in American politics."

Eight days in intensive care - God's revenge for bearing false witness?

The most visible of Simmons contributions to GOP causes have been d-i-s-c-r-e-d-i-t-e-d and-----and it's unlikely he was cognizant enough to slap down his anti-conservative daughters contributions to liberal causes. I'm guessing-----guessing about his end of life cognitive abilities but-----but it's hard for me to imagine that he would have approved funding for LGBT causes or Planned Parenthood or...?

Harold Simmons Dies at 82 - Backed Swift Boat Ads

By EMMA G. FITZSIMMONS
Published: December 29, 2013

<snip>

He was one of the largest donors in the 2012 presidential election, giving more than $26.9 million to “super PACs” opposing President Obama, whom he called “the most dangerous American alive” in an interview with The Wall Street Journal because, he said, the president wanted to “eliminate free enterprise in this country.”
In 2004, Mr. Simmons donated $2 million to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, whose advertisements against Mr. Kerry, the Democratic candidate for president, included one impugning his military service as a Swift boat captain during the Vietnam War. The allegations were later discredited. Mr. Simmons gave heavily to other groups through the Dallas-based Harold Simmons Foundation, which is run by two of his daughters, Lisa Simmons and Serena Simmons Connelly.

<snip>

Forum List

Back