Harley Isn't Looking Very Good

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
Motorcycle sales haven't been very good in the USA for quite awhile. 2019 sales for new bikes were flat. Millennial's aren't following their elders and the passion to ride. On or off road vehicles, they just don't buy them. March is usually the start of the year for MC sales. Covid 19 is hammering the industry, and that includes all manufacturers.
Another tough turn for motorcycles

Harley-Davidson's revenue fell almost 6% to $1.3 billion in the first quarter while net income plunged 45% year over year to $69.7 million, or $0.45 per share, as the COVID-19 outbreak sapped sales globally. "Retail sales fell significantly in the back half of March due to consumer concerns and approximately 50% of our dealers being temporarily closed for motorcycle sales in the U.S. due to COVID-19. ... International retail sales were down 20.7% in the first quarter as COVID-19 fears and dealer closures spread from Asia to Europe to Canada and Latin America," CFO John Olin said during a conference call with analysts.
The company sold just 40,400 motorcycles worldwide in the period, fewer than during the depths of the Great Recession. U.S. sales collapsed to just over 23,700 bikes, or less than 59% of the total.

Motorcycle sales haven't been very good in the USA for quite awhile. 2019 sales for new bikes were flat. Millennial's aren't following their elders and the passion to ride. On or off road vehicles, they just don't buy them. March is usually the start of the year for MC sales. Covid 19 is hammering the industry, and that includes all manufacturers.

Harley-Davidson's revenue fell almost 6% to $1.3 billion in the first quarter while net income plunged 45% year over year to $69.7 million, or $0.45 per share, as the COVID-19 outbreak sapped sales globally. "Retail sales fell significantly in the back half of March due to consumer concerns and approximately 50% of our dealers being temporarily closed for motorcycle sales in the U.S. due to COVID-19. ... International retail sales were down 20.7% in the first quarter as COVID-19 fears and dealer closures spread from Asia to Europe to Canada and Latin America," CFO John Olin said during a conference call with analysts.
The company sold just 40,400 motorcycles worldwide in the period, fewer than during the depths of the Great Recession. U.S. sales collapsed to just over 23,700 bikes, or less than 59% of the total.

And??

Fewer "hogs", less unnecessary noise. Thank goodness. A rare sign that good sense can happen.

Given the current situation, I wouldn't read too much into the drop in sales. Sure, motorcycle sales are down. So are sales at the local mall. Restaurant sales are down. Bar sales are down. New car sales are down. Musical instrument sales are down. Everything is down because people haven't been working to earn the money they need to have so they can go shopping.

We just had a new Harley dealership open up here in town. They opened just prior to Biketoberfest. The family has been in business since 1931, and this is their fourth dealership. They don't make bad decisions when it comes to investing more into their business, and they've certainly see downturns in the industry...

Current generations have been sissified by their public school indoctrination. They're mortally afraid of anything that looks even a little "macho". When we have a war and they're drafted there'll be no need go give them real weapons because they'll simply be dropped at the first opportunity.

I love Harleys. Sold mine years ago. A couple years back I was in a Harley shop, they had a line of 4 or 5 Electra Glide Ultra's that had been dealer prepped with extra chrome. All of them were priced the same, $42K ! Who in the hell is going to pay that for a motorcycle ?!!! As an article I read recently stated it. "Every day now a Boomer takes his last ride on his Harley".

There only chance now is to create a line of smaller bikes, gas and electric, that retail for far less money. Their $30K Livewire is still way too expensive.

I just picked this up not long ago. I love my Harleys, but this thing is faster, quieter (which you don't really care about when you ride a Harley), more comfortable and better on gas:

49863566791_62a05e9d75_c.jpg

Nobody seemed to mind that I was on a Honda when I showed up to an open house at a Georgia MC on Sunday. I'll still ride the Harleys to Bike Week and Biketoberfest but, for long haul trips, this thing is the ticket...

I just picked this up not long ago. I love my Harleys, but this thing is faster, quieter (which you don't really care about when you ride a Harley), more comfortable and better on gas:

Nobody seemed to mind that I was on a Honda when I showed up to an open house at a Georgia MC on Sunday. I'll still ride the Harleys to Bike Week and Biketoberfest but, for long haul trips, this thing is the ticket...
I have never been able to own one kind of bike. I like them all. That Honda of yours is nice.

I have never been able to own one kind of bike. I like them all. That Honda of yours is nice.

Thanks.

Fucker's quick...

I love Harleys. Sold mine years ago. A couple years back I was in a Harley shop, they had a line of 4 or 5 Electra Glide Ultra's that had been dealer prepped with extra chrome. All of them were priced the same, $42K ! Who in the hell is going to pay that for a motorcycle ?!!! As an article I read recently stated it. "Every day now a Boomer takes his last ride on his Harley".

There only chance now is to create a line of smaller bikes, gas and electric, that retail for far less money. Their $30K Livewire is still way too expensive.
When Harley bought Alta Motors I thought they were getting ready for E flat track racing. Race on Saturday and buy on Tuesday. That went south in 6 months. BRP picked up the Alta assets and they plan to use the motors for karting.

I just sold my BMW version of the Gold Wing.

1588784967169.png

When Harley bought Alta Motors I thought they were getting ready for E flat track racing. Race on Saturday and buy on Tuesday. That went south in 6 months. BRP picked up the Alta assets and they plan to use the motors for karting.

That's too bad, would have been nice.

View attachment 332731

That's a sharp ride, too...

View attachment 332731

Thank you. Yeah, I already miss it. Power windshield, reverse, heated seats, grips, cruise control, a built in CD changer. Might as well drive a car I guess, but I loved that thing.

Your Gold Wing an 1800 ? Boy, six cylinders has got to run so smooth !
I've always wanted one, but especially the newest version like you have there !

That's too bad, would have been nice.
Alta wouldn't let me ride one of their bikes without putting down an order for one. I was ready to buy but they acted like their shit didn't stink.

View attachment 332731

Thank you. Yeah, I already miss it. Power windshield, reverse, heated seats, grips, cruise control, a built in CD changer. Might as well drive a car I guess, but I loved that thing.

Your Gold Wing an 1800 ? Boy, six cylinders has got to run so smooth !
I've always wanted one, but especially the newest version like you have there !

1833cc's of six cylinder goodness.

The 7-speed automatic DCT is to die for...

New Topics

Forum List

Back