Harbor freight tools...

I buy tarps, tie straps, there regularly, I bought a 20' by 10' canopy for a parties that we've used 1/2 dozen times, bought a spare tire carrier for one of our trailers.
As for tools I bought a floor jack so now I have 2, bought a 200ft pound torque wrench as I didn't have one that big it works well, another set of 1/2" impact sockets deep well.

I've bought 2 small engines as replacements over the years and these are a good deal, some times they are on sale for $99.View attachment 206528

I would be interested to hear more about the engines you bought as I have two pieces of equipment that the one you posted a pic of would fit.
As I said before, the chainsaw chain sharpener I bought from hf works well. However I didn't mention buying a cheap set of wrenches that bend if you actually put pressure on them. But even that can be useful if you are willing to heat and retemper them to make specialty use tools, like the 1/2 wrench to reach that third starter bolt on a 67 mustang from the bottom.

I wouldn't stand under a harbor freight chain fall....
I avoid it at all costs.

I buy tarps, tie straps, there regularly, I bought a 20' by 10' canopy for a parties that we've used 1/2 dozen times, bought a spare tire carrier for one of our trailers.
As for tools I bought a floor jack so now I have 2, bought a 200ft pound torque wrench as I didn't have one that big it works well, another set of 1/2" impact sockets deep well.

I've bought 2 small engines as replacements over the years and these are a good deal, some times they are on sale for $99.View attachment 206528

I would be interested to hear more about the engines you bought as I have two pieces of equipment that the one you posted a pic of would fit.
As I said before, the chainsaw chain sharpener I bought from hf works well. However I didn't mention buying a cheap set of wrenches that bend if you actually put pressure on them. But even that can be useful if you are willing to heat and retemper them to make specialty use tools, like the 1/2 wrench to reach that third starter bolt on a 67 mustang from the bottom.

They are Honda GX200 clones basically and made in China, 6.5hp, with fuel shutoff, low oil shutoff, I cant remember if it is a 3/4 or 5/8 shaft. One is about 6 years old and on a MTD 2850psi power washer, that is like 10-12 years old. The power washer had a Honda GC160 on it originally, but the wife toasted that engine and the rebuild was more than the Predator 212 it also has had a couple of rebuilt pumps. It get used a lot as the wife is always spraying the inside of the barn to keep the cobwebs down in the summer.

The second is on a troy built pony tiller from the '90's, this tiller was given to me by my wife's uncle when we helped move them from their home to a detached condo near their other daughter house. The tiller had a 5hp Briggs without any compression. The harbor freight engine bolted right up and that tiller is now working fine.

Their is a lot of good reviews and these small side shaft harbor freight engines online.

For light work around the house they are pretty good.
Have a bunch of tools from there...........use them once and a while. lol

Just sanded some of my deck with the 10 amp orbital sander ..........did pretty good......

Bought a 2 amp palm orbital sander from Walmart...........it was crap.........no power at all.........don't touch those little things. lol
Good palm sanders are awesome for smaller finish work, I only buy the high quality power tools.

They are Honda GX200 clones basically and made in China, 6.5hp, with fuel shutoff, low oil shutoff, I cant remember if it is a 3/4 or 5/8 shaft. One is about 6 years old and on a MTD 2850psi power washer, that is like 10-12 years old. The power washer had a Honda GC160 on it originally, but the wife toasted that engine and the rebuild was more than the Predator 212 it also has had a couple of rebuilt pumps. It get used a lot as the wife is always spraying the inside of the barn to keep the cobwebs down in the summer.

The second is on a troy built pony tiller from the '90's, this tiller was given to me by my wife's uncle when we helped move them from their home to a detached condo near their other daughter house. The tiller had a 5hp Briggs without any compression. The harbor freight engine bolted right up and that tiller is now working fine.

Their is a lot of good reviews and these small side shaft harbor freight engines online.

Thanks for your experiences. I have seen the reviews but hearing first hand is better.
I have a six foot tiller, that has a Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp on it. The current engine requires nursing along to use it.
I also have a soil conveyor that I got without an engine.

You know occasionally Harbor freight tools has convenient kitchen items too on sale hard to find brands. I bought a foldable compact meat slicer and a 5 tier dehydrator that were usually hard to find on Amazon and better priced.
But my best most recent find and haul was my clever awareness that buying my 20v cordless Porter Cable 16 gauge Finish nailer as a bare tool with seperate purchase of compatible 20v
Black and Decker compatible battery (modified) and charger saved almost 50% from the $299 retail and 25% from their lowest sale price of their packaged tool with the manufacturers highly marked up battery and charger.
THAT'S right, 3 small minor modifications allows Black and Decker 20v compatible knock off batteries work on 20v Porter Cable tools and not only do you save from the high mark up battery and chargers, but the battery I purchased was 25% more energy storage 2.5 AH instead of 2AH to last 25% longer between charges.
Lowes was the one selling the bare tool Finish nailer way below retail to allow this discrepancy between full package tool and bare tool seperate battery & charger purchase.

Last edited:
I have been a regular customer for a long time. Some of the power tools I've bought there have been disappointing. I bought a small bench-drill press that doesn't have the torque it should have, but as stated above, if you are buying something where durability and quality are needed, shop elsewhere. Too bad Sears is going out of business. I've always liked their tools.

I have been a regular customer for a long time. Some of the power tools I've bought there have been disappointing. I bought a small bench-drill press that doesn't have the torque it should have, but as stated above, if you are buying something where durability and quality are needed, shop elsewhere. Too bad Sears is going out of business. I've always liked their tools.

I thought Kmart now sells Craftsman ?

I remember buying a tap and die set from harbor freight, I was so pissed when I used a 3/8 die, it was so soft it didn't thread shit , just wore out the die.

Like everyone said, they are good for tools you don't use all the Time..

But also remember , auto stores also rent good specailty tools.

I Have Their Swivel Head Wood Lathe
Bench Top Drill Press
That Work Just Fine For Me
And Their Rock Tumbler That Exceeds All The Bad Reviews Of It

They Have A $9 Mini-Dremel Type Tool Set
Steer Away From That One
And Don't Buy Their Anvil
It's Not Steel, It's 100% Cast Iron
You'll Have To Weld Steel Plate To The Top
Just To Use It

That's My Personal Experience With Their Tools

I got a 9 inch band saw this week...works great. Have an 8 inch drill press...couldn't be more pleased with it. What experiences have you had with Harbor Freight tools?

Had one of those horizontal band saws from H.F. and the bushings and bearings wore out pretty quick. I dont think they use quality steel that is hardened properly.

Forum List

Back