Happy Diwali

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
Well ..I wrote to wish all USMB users a happy diwali. I don't know if you all know about diwali and I wont bother explaining it. Was feeling very cheerful and happy so decided to share it with you all

Diwali is to Hindus as Christmas is to Christians.I bursted a few crackers . Had a wild party in my friends place.Ate a lot of sweets,chocolates,puked and ate again. Anyways a very "Happy Diwali" to all of you!!

Akshay:beer:

Well ..I wrote to wish all USMB users a happy diwali. I don't know if you all know about diwali and I wont bother explaining it. Was feeling very cheerful and happy so decided to share it with you all

Diwali is to Hindus as Christmas is to Christians.I bursted a few crackers . Had a wild party in my friends place.Ate a lot of sweets,chocolates,puked and ate again. Anyways a very "Happy Diwali" to all of you!!

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...aii&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8&client=firefox-a

FESTIVALS

The most important festivals for Ravidassis are those relating to Gum Ravidass. His birthday is celebrated and his death is commemorated.

DiwaIi is a very popular festival of lights when Ravidassis honour both Rama and Guru Hargobind.

Like Hindus, Ravidassis celebrate Rakhi, which celebrates the mutual love of brother and sister.

-

8455-002-61-1052.gif

Happy Diwali to you too, Akshay. Pity I didn't know about this sooner.

hey, as long as it isn't a newly-made up holiday *cough*kwanzaa*cough*, more power to ya!

I love learning about other cultures' celebrations, and I have always found India and Indians an interesting country and people. Definitely beautiful clothes/fabric as well.

I would be very interested in hearing what Diwali is about. It sounds like it is a pretty big deal, so let's hear it!! :cheers2:

hey, as long as it isn't a newly-made up holiday *cough*kwanzaa*cough*, more power to ya!

I love learning about other cultures' celebrations, and I have always found India and Indians an interesting country and people. Definitely beautiful clothes/fabric as well.

I would be very interested in hearing what Diwali is about. It sounds like it is a pretty big deal, so let's hear it!! :cheers2:
Don't know anyone who celebrates Kwanzaa.

My dad worked with some British people who were of Indian descent. We had dinner at their house one night, and the woman showed us her wedding dress. It was GORGEOUS! Bright red, embroidered everywhere... just beautiful. :)

My dad worked with some British people who were of Indian descent. We had dinner at their house one night, and the woman showed us her wedding dress. It was GORGEOUS! Bright red, embroidered everywhere... just beautiful. :)
i know! I LOVE Indian-style fabric with the intricate embroidery and bold colors. I also have a thing for chinese brocade. It sucks that both are super-expensive at fabric stores, somewhere from $15-25 a yard!

Happy Diwali to you....

A colleague also told me that today (10/23) is the Moslem festival of Eid. It is somewhat the same...

Boy... all these holidays, and I don't get any presents! :cry:

Thanks all of you! Mr Karl Marx...Eid is no way related to Diwali. And for presents when I come to the States I'll personally deliver it to...errr...Hillary??

Akshay

i know! I LOVE Indian-style fabric with the intricate embroidery and bold colors. I also have a thing for chinese brocade. It sucks that both are super-expensive at fabric stores, somewhere from $15-25 a yard!
I agree! I too love their fabrics and clothing style. It's gorgeous and attractive. If I were a woman, I'd definitely wear them.

Thanks all of you! Mr Karl Marx...Eid is no way related to Diwali. And for presents when I come to the States I'll personally deliver it to...errr...Hillary??

Akshay

OK, give her a great big kiss for me! Don't let her mustache tickle your nose!

Yes, I know the Eid isn't related to Dawali, Eid is a Moslem holiday (marking the end of Ramadan), Dawali is Hindu (Rama is an incarnation of god Vishnu, right?).

But my colleague described it as being somewhat like Christmas, because gifts are exchanged.

OK, give her a great big kiss for me! Don't let her mustache tickle your nose!

Yes, I know the Eid isn't related to Dawali, Eid is a Moslem holiday (marking the end of Ramadan), Dawali is Hindu (Rama is an incarnation of god Vishnu, right?).

But my colleague described it as being somewhat like Christmas, because gifts are exchanged.

lol.. you sure do like Hillary...yeah Diwali is a bit like Christmas coz we do exhange gifts and burst crackers

Akshay

What the heck is "Burst Crackers"? It sounds a little racist...

;) (don't take that seriously, except the question...)

What the heck is "Burst Crackers"? It sounds a little racist...

;) (don't take that seriously, except the question...)
'crackers' are rolls with little prizes inside. they look like a giant tootsie roll, but holiday colors depending on the celebration. you pull each end and it snaps and you get the prize inside, usually a goofy hat or trinket of a sort. It is a tradition from Europe, mainly the UK, which would explain Akshay's family using them, since India used to be a Britain property.

When I hosted Christmas here at our house, I chose to do an English theme (host picks different themes each year). So I got 'crackers', made traditional English tea and appetizers, etc, but the traditional American main course.

'crackers' are rolls with little prizes inside. they look like a giant tootsie roll, but holiday colors depending on the celebration. you pull each end and it snaps and you get the prize inside, usually a goofy hat or trinket of a sort. It is a tradition from Europe, mainly the UK, which would explain Akshay's family using them, since India used to be a Britain property.

When I hosted Christmas here at our house, I chose to do an English theme (host picks different themes each year). So I got 'crackers', made traditional English tea and appetizers, etc, but the traditional American main course.

Actually "bursting crackers" mean bursting firecrackers. Crackers in India are shaped like flares and you light them up and they burst with a shower of sparks of differet colours like fireworks. What Fuzzy Kitten said is also correct.
You also have hand held flareshaped crackers which you can swish like a wand after lighting em and they emit a shower of sparks. The best ones in India are the rockets which burst in mid air with different colours. Then you have the bomb type crackers which let out a huge burst on the ground with sparks. No wonder we aptly call them atom bombs.

Akshay

Forum List

Back