Happy Birthday to Whitney Houston.

I have very little pity for those who basically kill themselves. Hers is a tragic story, to be sure, but it's also one that didn't have to happen. She chose to do drugs, no one forced her.

That said, she was an immense talent. Her performance in 1991 remains pretty much the "gold standard" for the National Anthem...

She would have turned 57 this Sunday.
We miss you .:(

Yeah, Whitney Houston. I have to admit not being a fan of pop rock but I have to also admit that at the peak of her career, she had one of the finest female voices on the planet. Her rendition of the SSB at the Superbowl that year still gives me goosebumps.

Then she got hooked up with that black rapper who got her hooked on heavy drugs and ruined her life.

This topic always kind of leaves me sore as back in 1989, I had lunch in Jamaica Queens with her manager, for entirely different reasons, and I'm not sure if he was already managing her or not, like I said, I'm not really a follower of pop artists like her and Michael Jackson though I recognize their incredible talent, but the two events are inextricably tied together to me.

Whitney might have become one of the greatest female vocalists of the 20th century, right up there with Barbara Streisand.

Yeah, Whitney Houston. I have to admit not being a fan of pop rock but I have to also admit that at the peak of her career, she had one of the finest female voices on the planet. Her rendition of the SSB at the Superbowl that year still gives me goosebumps.

Then she got hooked up with that black rapper who got her hooked on heavy drugs and ruined her life.

This topic always kind of leaves me sore as back in 1989, I had lunch in Jamaica Queens with her manager, for entirely different reasons, and I'm not sure if he was already managing her or not, like I said, I'm not really a follower of pop artists like her and Michael Jackson though I recognize their talent, but the two events are inextricably tied together to me.

Whitney might have become one of the greatest female vocalists of the 20th century, right up there with Barbara Streisand.

I was at the Beverly Hilton when she died. It was apparent at 8am that this was going to be her last day alive. She had been out clubbing the night before. Those who were with her pretty much knew it was the end. Very sad and very scary to watch.

The Fall of 1988 I was working at HNL Intl Airport as a Manager of Ramp Services responsible for the Cleaning and baggage and cargo offloading and loading... We had contracts with QANTAS Airlines providing these services... ETA's on 3 flights headed to Vancouver, SFO and LAX in HNL was anywhere between was 0645 to 0730... Full service stop with passengers deplaning for A/C cleaning and catering, fuel and any cargo and baggage transfers between flight. Miss Houston was on board the flight to LAX and asked to stay on board while everyone else deplaned... My A/C cleaning Supervisor ran into my office and told me she was on board and wanted to know if I wanted her to get an autograph form my Daughter... I said sure...
Just for kicks and giggles I went up and walked on board the Aircraft just to see her... After a flight from Australia she was still extremely beautiful and I was a hero in my 7 year old daughters eye's... Life was good...

This topic always kind of leaves me sore as back in 1989, I had lunch in Jamaica Queens with her manager, for entirely different reasons, and I'm not sure if he was already managing her or not, like I said, I'm not really a follower of pop artists like her and Michael Jackson though I recognize their talent, but the two events are inextricably tied together to me.

I was at the Beverly Hilton when she died. It was apparent at 8am that this was going to be her last day alive. She had been out clubbing the night before. Those who were with her pretty much knew it was the end. Very sad and very scary to watch.

As I recall, both her voice, beauty and health had been long gone for at least a year or two before she died. As I recall, she was out partying all night doing heavy drugs and narcotics till daybreak then came back to her room, got in the tub and died, possibly drowned in the water. I hope they held her rapper buddy responsible. She was a beautiful girl, but unfortunately, very naive, gullible, innocent and susceptible.

I have very little pity for those who basically kill themselves. Hers is a tragic story, to be sure, but it's also one that didn't have to happen. She chose to do drugs, no one forced her.

That said, she was an immense talent. Her performance in 1991 remains pretty much the "gold standard" for the National Anthem...
I disagree. Musically brilliant people are often fragile and marrying or hooking up with the wrong person can have devastating consequences as it did with Whitney Houston.

Musically brilliant people are often fragile and marrying or hooking up with the wrong person can have devastating consequences as it did with Whitney Houston.

And what do you base this on?

I've worked with musicians, both professional, touring "name" acts and up and comers, and I saw no evidence to suggest that what you say is true. In fact, most touring bands tend to tour with their families (well, when not grounded by Covid, of course)...

As I recall, both her voice, beauty and health had been long gone for at least a year or two before she died. As I recall, she was out partying all night doing heavy drugs and narcotics till daybreak then came back to her room, got in the tub and died, possibly drowned in the water. I hope they held her rapper buddy responsible. She was a beautiful girl, but unfortunately, very naive, gullible, innocent and susceptible.

I was working for a London law firm opening a branch in Beverly Hills. The principal partner was staying at the Hilton. The hotel let us use a conference room as the office. I got there at 8am and we went to breakfast. Whitney Houston was sitting off to the side. She was drinking whiskey shots straight and chain smoking cigarettes. She would get up and run around doing handstands next to the pool. It was obvious that she was dying. Her skin and eyes had a severe yellow tone and she was sweating profusely. All day she was drinking like that and running around sometimes grabbing people and accusing then of following her.

We were working and had no idea that she died. A secretary called from London. It was on the news over there. That's how we heard. Then we went to the lobby crawling with police. There was some kind of award show that night. The guests were arriving in formal wear and gowns. All the stars. No one knew what happened until they arrived. People were crying. Sitting on the floor sobbing. She died in the bathtub about 6pm drinking and smoking marijuana.

Musically brilliant people are often fragile and marrying or hooking up with the wrong person can have devastating consequences as it did with Whitney Houston.

And what do you base this on?

I've worked with musicians, both professional, touring "name" acts and up and comers, and I saw no evidence to suggest that what you say is true. In fact, most touring bands tend to tour with their families (well, when not grounded by Covid, of course)...
I guess I mean female singers in particular. Look at the history of great female singers who pick idiot men who abuse them. Whitney, Amy Winehouse, Shania Twain, Janis Joplin, Rhianna....there's a lot of them.

I agree with everyone that she had one of the sweetest voices ever. I don't know how she got hooked on drugs but the result was a major performing loss. That girl could sing. I liked Thelma Houston too. Maybe her aunt?

Forum List

Back