Happy Birthday Fleetwood Mac?

Ridgerunner

'Ole Wise One'
Apr 20, 2016
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just heard from a fairly reliable source that today is the 49th anniversary of the founding of the great Blues Band Fleetwood Mac. August of "67" seems just about right. I have done my due diligence and searched the inter-web looking for some substantial documentation to firm this rumor (no pun intended) up. No success... If anyone can help in confirming this it would be appreciated and a chance to listen to some really good tunes...

Special nod to ChrisL:beer:

Last edited:
Fleetwood Mac are a British-American rock band formed in July 1967, in London. The band have sold more than 100 million records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling bands of all time. Wikipedia

I just heard from a fairly reliable source that today is the 49th anniversary of the founding of the great Blues Band Fleetwood Mac. August of "67" seems just about right. I have done my due diligence and searched the inter-web looking for some substantial documentation to firm this rumor (no pun intended) up. No success... If anyone can help in confirming this it would be appreciated and a chance to listen to some really good tunes...

Great song! :)

Er..Fleetwood Mac isn't a blues band.

They started as a blues band when Peter Green was a member.

And Ronald Reagan wasn't born a Republican either... Things change during a metamorphous...

The only thing about Fleetwood Mac that hasn't changed since the band formed in 1967 is the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John "Mac" McVie — fitting, since the band is named after those two. Through the Seventies, the band's personnel and style shifted with nearly every recording as Fleetwood Mac metamorphosed from a traditionalist British blues band to the maker of one of the best-selling pop albums ever, Rumours, then kept on for decades after that — to varying degrees of success.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac was formed by ex–John Mayall's Bluesbreakers Green, McVie, and Fleetwood along with Elmore James enthusiast Jeremy Spencer. McVie had been a charter member of the Bluesbreakers in 1963, Fleetwood had joined in 1965, and Green had replaced Eric Clapton in 1966. With its repertoire of blues classics and Green's blues-style originals, the group's debut at the British Jazz and Blues Festival in August 1967 netted it a record contract. Fleetwood Mac was popular in Britain immediately, and its debut album stayed near the top of the British chart for 13 months. The quartet had hits in the U.K. through 1970, including "Black Magic Woman" and the instrumental "Albatross" (which was Number One in 1968 and reached Number Four when rereleased in 1973). America, however, largely ignored Fleetwood Mac: its first U.S. tour had the group third-billed behind Jethro Tull and Joe Cocker, neither of whom was as popular in Britain.

Green and Spencer recorded Fleetwood Mac in Chicago with Willie Dixon, Otis Spann, and other blues patriarchs in 1969 (the LP wasn't released until 1971), yet the group was already moving away from the all-blues format. In May 1970 Green abruptly left the group to follow his ascetic religious beliefs. He stayed out of the music business until the mid-Seventies, when he made two solo LPs. His departure put an end to Fleetwood Mac's blues leanings. Danny Kirwan and Christine Perfect moved the band toward leaner, more melodic rock. Perfect, who had sung with Spencer Davis in folk and jazz outfits before joining British blues-rockers Chicken Shack in 1968, had performed uncredited on parts of Then Play On, but contractual obligations to Chicken Shack kept her from joining Fleetwood Mac officially until 1971. By then she had married McVie.

Early in 1971, Spencer disappeared in L.A. and turned up as a member of a religious cult, the Children of God (later the title of a Spencer solo effort). Fleetwood Mac went through a confused period.

Fleetwood Mac Biography

and they were arguably the best British Blues band in British music history...

The song in the OP is one my favorites. I like the newer Fleetwood Mac too, but I think I liked them more when they had that nice bluesy sound. It's a lot different than the stuff I usually listen to, but I like to change it up sometimes. :D

The song in the OP is one my favorites. I like the newer Fleetwood Mac too, but I think I liked them more when they had that nice bluesy sound. It's a lot different than the stuff I usually listen to, but I like to change it up sometimes. :D

so many people think "Black Magic Woman" is a Santana original...and i found many hard rockers think the "The Green Manalishi" is a Judas Priest original....

so many people think "Black Magic Woman" is a Santana original...and i found many hard rockers think the "The Green Manalishi" is a Judas Priest original....

I used to think so too! Lol. It wasn't until fairly recently that I discovered Peter Green.

I used to think so too! Lol. It wasn't until fairly recently that I discovered Peter Green.
i was into him back in 68....he and Michael Bloomfield were my 2 favorite guitarists from the 60's...when Danny Kirwan joined the group he gave them more rock,but he was pretty good for an 18 year old .....he did what Jeremy Spencer would not do....play Guitar with Peter Green....many of Kirwans songs were pretty good....like this one.....

i was into him back in 68....he and Michael Bloomfield were my 2 favorite guitarists from the 60's...when Danny Kirwan joined the group he gave them more rock,but he was pretty good for an 18 year old .....he did what Jeremy Spencer would not do....play Guitar with Peter Green....many of Kirwans songs were pretty good....like this one.....

Yeah that's not bad. I've never heard of this band.

Forum List

Back