Hannibal (1959)

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Avoid !!
Absolute shite. Victor Mature plays the guy with the elephants with a largely European cast. The script is basic and the action scenes are risible. Like they stumbled on some old sets from Ben Hur and tried to cobble a film from it.

The action scenes are so bad that the characters shout out what is happening in the battles because the film work doesnt make clear. This is the sort of crap that killed off the epic.

I think that there is a great story to be told here but this isnt it.

Avoid !!
Absolute shite. Victor Mature plays the guy with the elephants with a largely European cast. The script is basic and the action scenes are risible. Like they stumbled on some old sets from Ben Hur and tried to cobble a film from it.

The action scenes are so bad that the characters shout out what is happening in the battles because the film work doesnt make clear. This is the sort of crap that killed off the epic.

Matures best movie was Samson...

Never saw the film, the wiki article on it proves it was pretty much a failure when it came out. I'm surprised it is still around.

Never saw the film, the wiki article on it proves it was pretty much a failure when it came out. I'm surprised it is still around.

It's British TV. Just watch BBC America on cable once and you'll see how deprived they are.

Avoid !!

I'm certainly glad you didn't write a good review of this mess. The tag for the movie that was used in previews was "Jump on! Hang on! Here comes the avenging Hannibal and his crazed elephant army!"

I'm guessing you saw it on Youtube. Movies that were made before 1976 had a 28 year copywrite and could be extended on the last year of the copywrite for another 28 years. Owners of the rights to many of the older movies did not apply for an extension for various reason. The reason is pretty obvious with Hannibal but for many films, it was not clear who owned the rights or there was no immediate market for the film so the rights just expired. I think this is why we have so many free movies.

Forum List

Back