Hank Aaron Dead at 86

Now, he was a real ball player and true legend. He was before the time when everyone drugged themselves up on steroids.
Mays got all the press. Henry Aaron never played in New York but he was Mays' equal in every way
PLUS Aaron had a longer more productive career overall.

All the heroes are dying off.

Everyone knows Hank broke Babe Ruth's home run record.

But far fewer know he won the Golden Glove 3 times, holds the record for RBIs and was an All-Star 25 times. He could hammer out the home runs. But he was just great at baseball.

Everyone knows Hank broke Babe Ruth's home run record.

But far fewer know he won the Golden Glove 3 times, holds the record for RBIs and was an All-Star 25 times. He could hammer out the home runs. But he was just great at baseball.
Clemente, Aaron and Mays dominated the NL outfielders when I was growing up.
To see Barry Bonds make a mockery of Aaron's record was distasteful to say the least.
And as petulant, selfish and difficult as Bonds was, Aaron was equally pleasant, respectful of others
and good natured. RIP Henry Aaron.

Now, he was a real ball player and true legend. He was before the time when everyone drugged themselves up on steroids.
Mays got all the press. Henry Aaron never played in New York but he was Mays' equal in every way
PLUS Aaron had a longer more productive career overall.

All the heroes are dying off.
Mays was the better defender and base runner.

Aaron was certainly the more likeable, though. He had a quiet dignity to him. Mays could be a bit prickly and standoffish.

Aaron was certainly the more likeable, though. He had a quiet dignity to him. Mays could be a bit prickly and standoffish.
Aaron was the better hitter and scored more runs. More total bases, more hits and of course, more home runs.
His Stats are certainly better and his longevity was amazing. Mays should have hung it up long before he did. Aaron benefitted from one of the very best hitters Park in the game, however, and Mays the very worst for a right handed hitter, so their relative stats were affected to quite a degree.

AT around age 35 and beyond, Aaron was unquestionably the better player. At age 25-35, though, I would argue for Mays.

Aaron was the better hitter and scored more runs. More total bases, more hits and of course, more home runs.
Another black hero that caught hell from white people back in the day....just bc he passed the Babe's home run hits.....white people just can't stand it when black folk do better then they do...I wish they would just leave us alone. RIP Hank and tell Baba and My beloved brother and Jesus, the Tiger, said Hey!!

His Stats are certainly better and his longevity was amazing. Mays should have hung it up long before he did. Aaron benefitted from one of the very best hitters Park in the game, however, and Mays the very worst for a right handed hitter, so their relative stats were affected to quite a degree.

AT around age 35 and beyond, Aaron was unquestionably the better player. At age 25-35, though, I would argue for Mays.
Agree to disagree. I thought Aaron was simply a better hitter in most every way. And he wasn't the
difficult prima donna Mays was.

i call him Hammerin' Hank! he had the record at 755 home runs

his sister is still alive, and is married to Georgia Democrat Congressman David Scott!

A friend told this story today:
"The only Hank Aaron story that comes to mind was an interview I saw with a pitcher - I don't remember who or where I saw it - who was talking about a conversation he was having with another pitcher. Something like, "When Hank hit a home run it didn't sound like when anyone else did it. He hit the ball so hard - that crack... So I was talking to (some pitcher than had pitched to him many times) and I asked him how I could avoid hearing that sound.
'Walk him.'"

Agree to disagree. I thought Aaron was simply a better hitter in most every way. And he wasn't the
difficult prima donna Mays was.
Mays was certainly that.

I only know him from his SF days, but he was never the fan's favorite, McCovey was. He was about the nicest person you could ever ask for.

All. Time. Great.

EsX7kV4W8AAd9-y

EsYChW_XYAAOn4m

Last edited:
The true Home Run King passes at 86. Barry Bonds sucked. Aaron was a gentleman and everything else that Bonds isn't.

He got lots of death threats when he was getting close to Ruth's record.
I do remember that things got pretty ugly for him as he neared home run no. 714. But there was still a lot of Racism in those days. Sad that he and the other Black players had to endure that. RIP.

Mickey Mantle called Hank the "best ballplayer of my era"

Muhammad Ali called him "the only man I idolized more than myself"

Forum List

Back