half of 41 bills DeSantis cosponsored in House that became law renamed post offices & federal buildings, established commemorative coins & gave awards

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Ron DeSantis has done quite a lot during his time as governor of Florida, and he intends to do a lot more. He is aggressively changing the stateā€™s education system to root out perceived ā€œwokenessā€ in academia, has taken an ostentatious stand against pandemic precautions while calling for investigations into vaccine makers, pushed for a variety of law-and-order measures, and more.

Before all that, though, he served in the U.S. House, where his career was typical of a rank and file Republican in the 2010s.

DeSantisā€™s career in the House, from 2013 to 2018, was relatively uneventful. He gave occasional floor speeches, cosponsored legislation, and even wrote some of his own bills, most of which were simple vehicles for partisan messaging. He joined a handful of far right members to launch the Freedom Caucus, the ultra-conservative working group that spearheaded much of the major disputes and dysfunction over the past decade in the House. He also mounted a brief run for Senate in 2016 but withdrew and ran for re-election to his House seat after Marco Rubioā€™s presidential campaign flopped, leaving Rubio in Congress.

One bill DeSantis authored that did not make it to the presidentā€™s desk was the ā€œDrain the Swamp Act.ā€ An obvious nod to Trumpā€™s 2016 slogan about fighting corruption, the bill included various provisions intended to obstruct the revolving door between American government and the influence-peddling industry, including a ā€œlifetime post-employment ban on lobbying on behalf of foreign governments by former senior executive branch officials.ā€

But despite the billā€™s strong stance on keeping American politics free of foreign influence, DeSantis has employed at least one foreign agent of his own since taking over the governorā€™s office: his spokeswoman Christina Pushaw, who retroactively registered with the Justice Department as having worked for Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili. (Georgia the ex-Soviet country, not the American state)

He ix.focused.on the.culture.war.so to.speak. Will it resonate domestically as more mportsnt issues thsn others? He will need way more than cultural issues to win, which mesns dipping his toes. Into Trump territory of border security and China for example

That is a problem when on a tablet, suffering from headaches and the screen is blurry. I can't even see the periods some times...among many reasons it is why I am confident I have a brain aneurysm.
I a sorry to hear that you are ailing. I underwent a liver transplant on March 12th and am still recovering, but the doctors are amazed at my quick recovery.

Forum List

Back