Hagia Sophia: World Council of Churches appeals to Turkey on mosque decision

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The World Council of Churches has called on Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to reverse his decision to turn the celebrated Hagia Sophia museum back into a mosque.

In a letter to Mr Erdogan, the Council, which counts 350 churches as members, said the move would sow division.

The Unesco World Heritage site in Istanbul has been a museum since 1934.

The president announced his decision on Friday following a court ruling which annulled its museum status.

The Hagia Sophia was built 1,500 years ago as an Orthodox Christian cathedral, but was converted into a mosque after the Ottoman conquest in 1453.

It was converted to a museum on the orders of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founding father of modern, secular Turkey.

Since then religious services have been banned at the site, but devout Muslims have long campaigned for worship to be allowed.

The letter is located here:

Erdogan is like...........but I don't care. This is horrible.

The World Council of Churches has called on Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to reverse his decision to turn the celebrated Hagia Sophia museum back into a mosque.

In a letter to Mr Erdogan, the Council, which counts 350 churches as members, said the move would sow division.

The president announced his decision on Friday following a court ruling which annulled its museum status.

The Hagia Sophia was built 1,500 years ago as an Orthodox Christian cathedral, but was converted into a mosque after the Ottoman conquest in 1453.

It was converted to a museum on the orders of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founding father of modern, secular Turkey.

Since then religious services have been banned at the site, but devout Muslims have long campaigned for worship to be allowed.

It’s a mosque. I’m not sure what the problem is

It was a church before and had been a museum since 1935

The Hagia Sophia was turned into a mosque 567 years ago.

I'm not sure why it's a problem now.

...It’s a mosque. I’m not sure what the problem is
It's a church. What's your problem?

It was a church under the Orthodox Byzantines. It became a mosque under the Ottoman Turks in 1453.

There are many mosques built on or made out of previous churches, Hindu temples, and synagogues.

A mosque was built on top of the ruins of Solomon's Temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE.

It was a church under the Orthodox Byzantines. It became a mosque under the Ottoman Turks in 1453.

There are many mosques built on or made out of previous churches, Hindu temples, and synagogues.

A mosque was built on top of the ruins of Solomon's Temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE.
Can you guess why there are so many mosques that are palimpsests?

Can you guess why there are so many mosques that are palimpsests?

I can only speculate ...

Perhaps the Christians are due an apology and should be given the sanctuary they built for their worship back. It was in fact stolen from them by the Moslims ------ was it not? But who wants to go there????

It was built as a Church. It was converted to a Mosque as a sign of conquest after the Fall of Constantinople.

You have to remember that Erdogan is first and foremost, an Islamist, as most Muslims are. The concerns of anyone or any nation that is not Islamic is not important to him. He is the complete opposite of Mustafa Ataturk. Non-Muslims are now persecuted with little interference from his government. So, to him, changing the museum to a mosque, was a no-brainer.

Forum List

Back