Hagel: all states granting IDs to same-sex spouses

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
All U.S. states granting military IDs to same-sex spouses: Hagel | Reuters

(Reuters) - All U.S. states are now issuing military identification cards to the same-sex spouses of National Guard members, allowing them to obtain benefits available to married couples, the Defense Department said on Friday.

Mississippi was the last state to comply with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's directive this fall for state military units to provide the cards to gay and lesbian spouses so they can claim benefits just like opposite-sex spouses.

"All military spouses and families sacrifice on behalf of our country," Hagel said on Friday. "They deserve our respect and the benefits they are entitled to under the law."

Obtaining a military ID card allows spouses to use military commissaries and to be included on health insurance plans offered by the National Guard.

Hagel in October criticized nine states that he said had refused to comply with his directive. Several Republican-led states responded by accusing the Obama administration of using the military to force social change.

The nine states have chosen different ways to comply with both Hagel's directive and state prohibitions against same-sex marriage.

In Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, workers who issue ID cards to same-sex spouses will be put on temporary active duty, giving them federal status.

Florida, Oklahoma and South Carolina relocated card machines to federal installations in those states, while Indiana and West Virginia will process the cards at all National Guard locations in those states, according to the Defense Department.

Interesting to note that all nine states that tried to hold out and break the law are all traditionally RED states, and 8 of those 9 are southern states. Hmmmm.....

Now that tye PXs and commisaries are being closed what are they going to get?

I'll try to find them again when I'm at a computer.

This isn't really overly troubling. After all at one time the army had open camp followers. We might restore the integrity of the nation or we might take it to the bitter end.

I'm betting on the bitter end of degredation and defeat.

• Banned

This isn't really overly troubling. After all at one time the army had open camp followers. We might restore the integrity of the nation or we might take it to the bitter end.

Well, gee, look to the IDF. Gays have been openly serving in the IDF since the 1980s. The IDF did not degrade....

Or are you saying that we Americans are just not as adept at adapting as Israelis?

Well, gee, look to the IDF. Gays have been openly serving in the IDF since the 1980s. The IDF did not degrade....

Or are you saying that we Americans are just not as adept at adapting as Israelis?

We don't have the same people as the Israelis.

(Reuters) - All U.S. states are now issuing military identification cards to the same-sex spouses of National Guard members, allowing them to obtain benefits available to married couples, the Defense Department said on Friday.

Mississippi was the last state to comply with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's directive this fall for state military units to provide the cards to gay and lesbian spouses so they can claim benefits just like opposite-sex spouses.

"All military spouses and families sacrifice on behalf of our country," Hagel said on Friday. "They deserve our respect and the benefits they are entitled to under the law."

Obtaining a military ID card allows spouses to use military commissaries and to be included on health insurance plans offered by the National Guard.

Hagel in October criticized nine states that he said had refused to comply with his directive. Several Republican-led states responded by accusing the Obama administration of using the military to force social change.

The nine states have chosen different ways to comply with both Hagel's directive and state prohibitions against same-sex marriage.

In Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, workers who issue ID cards to same-sex spouses will be put on temporary active duty, giving them federal status.

Florida, Oklahoma and South Carolina relocated card machines to federal installations in those states, while Indiana and West Virginia will process the cards at all National Guard locations in those states, according to the Defense Department.

Interesting to note that all nine states that tried to hold out and break the law are all traditionally RED states, and 8 of those 9 are southern states. Hmmmm.....

Utah was a 10th state that tried to interfere, and DOD asked if Hill AFB should be moved out of state. The authorities came right into line.

Oh, really? How? What physiological differences are between a US-American and an Israeli? Are we not both homo-sapiens?

We will not a small portion of the far reactionary right allow that to happen. Don't worry.

Oh, really? How? What physiological differences are between a US-American and an Israeli? Are we not both homo-sapiens?

Certainly they think differently. Israel has universal military service. If gays were not permitted, who knows how many men and women would swear they were gay just so they wouldn't get shot at. Because Israel is the way it is, gays in Israel think of themselves as citizens and not specially selected for kid glove treatment. I doubt there is a host of programs and classes so others will learn what gays find acceptable and what will hurt their oh so tender feelings.

As it should be.

It’s good to see the states and Federal agencies complying with the Constitution absent pointless litigation, acknowledging the civil liberties of all Americans.

Last edited:

It’s because they’re afraid; conservatives for the most part are reactionaries, they fear change, diversity, and dissent – as a consequence of that fear they seek to deny others their civil liberties in a futile effort to stave off the change they fear and preserve an idealized American past that never actually existed to begin with.

Wow, look at that, a brand new idiot arrives to sneer at everyone who disagrees with it. Can't wait to chew this one up and send it back to safer pasutures with it's pathetic tail between its stunted legs.

Israel also has women in combat units, universal conscription, and a bunch of idiots that hate the fact that they even exist.

We will not a small portion of the far reactionary right allow that to happen. Don't worry.

Could someone please translate this drivel into English?

New Topics

Forum List

Back