gyms

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Anyone been hitting the gym lately? Any type of work out thats been effective?

I go to the Y. I try to do two rounds of the Nautilus type machines (12-15 reps each) and run one mile on the indoor track. I'm lucky if I get there twice/ week. It's getting rid of my ass to thigh fold.

Anyone been hitting the gym lately? Any type of work out thats been effective?

I hit my garage. All that cute, chorome plated stuff isn't my bag. I started lifting before it became en vogue, when people thought it made you dumb and the football coach ahd a stroke.

I lift six days a week. I run 3 miles 6 days a week. I practice martial arts 6 days a week as well. Total time per workout -- 1 1/2 hours.

I change up my weightlifting every now again so that it doesn't get stale, but mostly lift heavy weights, and the martial arts is easy because there are plenty of different things you can do. Running is running -- a means to an end.

Been pretty effective for me. I've been doing the same for over 20 years now.

You're an ironman Gunny!

My membership at the Y is part of my spouse's compensation package, and its a new one, only about 2 miles down the road, zero traffic. Besides, my garage id full of power tools and building supplies for my next project.

I hit my garage. All that cute, chorome plated stuff isn't my bag. I started lifting before it became en vogue, when people thought it made you dumb and the football coach ahd a stroke.

I lift six days a week. I run 3 miles 6 days a week. I practice martial arts 6 days a week as well. Total time per workout -- 1 1/2 hours.

I change up my weightlifting every now again so that it doesn't get stale, but mostly lift heavy weights, and the martial arts is easy because there are plenty of different things you can do. Running is running -- a means to an end.

Man i would love to do all that. What style martial arts do you do?

Wow!

loopband.gif

You're an ironman Gunny!

My membership at the Y is part of my spouse's compensation package, and its a new one, only about 2 miles down the road, zero traffic. Besides, my garage id full of power tools and building supplies for my next project.

I've heard it called a LOT worse. :laugh:

I do american kenpo myself.

I took American karate for a couple of years as a means to kickboxing training. The problem I have with American martial arts -- be they American in origin or the American version of an Asian martial art -- is you basically have to dress up in medieval armor to spar becasue Heaven forbid little Bobby get hurt. Mom will sue. Another issue is the number of belts, and the reason behind it .... instant gratification for the student and a means of charging extra money for the instructor.

IMO, it kind of messes it up for the students who actually want to learn something.

I took American karate for a couple of years as a means to kickboxing training. The problem I have with American martial arts -- be they American in origin or the American version of an Asian martial art -- is you basically have to dress up in medieval armor to spar becasue Heaven forbid little Bobby get hurt. Mom will sue. Another issue is the number of belts, and the reason behind it .... instant gratification for the student and a means of charging extra money for the instructor.

IMO, it kind of messes it up for the students who actually want to learn something.

yeah i know. of course there are some times ive been grateful for that padding lol.

I havent been going to any studio for a while, mostly practicing on my own. i dont know that ill ever get my black belt simply because every time i think about going back they've changed almost all the stuff ive already learned. So I figure if I get good at the stuff I remembe. adapt it for other situations ill be able to figure out my own style of fighting.

yeah i know. of course there are some times ive been grateful for that padding lol.

I havent been going to any studio for a while, mostly practicing on my own. i dont know that ill ever get my black belt simply because every time i think about going back they've changed almost all the stuff ive already learned. So I figure if I get good at the stuff I remembe. adapt it for other situations ill be able to figure out my own style of fighting.

I haven't been in a dojo in 20 years. One thing about Okinawan karate, it hasn't changed much in a thousand years. Okinawan karate is also the predecessor to Japanese karate, as practiced by the Japanese Karate Association. Since Japanese karate is a dumbed-down, one-size fits all version of Okinawan shorin-ryu, if I even thnk about forgetting something there is extensive literature available on JKA karate.

I never got past nidan ... second degree black belt ... because I'm not all that into the mysticism nor the politics. Both are required once one has attained a black belt. Unlike AMerican karate where each belt is a rank, in Okinawan karate, earning a black belt makes one worthy enough to be an actual student, and worthy of sensei's time. Prior to that point, your presence is being suffered at the whim of the sensei, and more often than not, his amusement.

I don't foresee myself really getting back into it. For one thing, true Okinawan karate dojos are few and far between in the US. To really excel at it, it requires way more time than I have to put into it anymore. That's not to mention staying half-beat-up on a constant basis.:crutch:

I was out from lifting for a few weeks because of my shoulder injury during football. Thursday, though, my physical therapist gave me the go-ahead to get back working out, just no chest or shoulder work quite yet. So, Friday I did some bicep and tricep work, just to get back into the swing of things.

The peak of my game was around spring of this year, right before I left Fairbanks. Those were good days...

I was out from lifting for a few weeks because of my shoulder injury during football. Thursday, though, my physical therapist gave me the go-ahead to get back working out, just no chest or shoulder work quite yet. So, Friday I did some bicep and tricep work, just to get back into the swing of things.

The peak of my game was around spring of this year, right before I left Fairbanks. Those were good days...

Injuries suck. But learn something from an old hard-head. Let it heal. "Playing through" injuries will come back to haunt you in your mid-40s.

Injuries suck. But learn something from an old hard-head. Let it heal. "Playing through" injuries will come back to haunt you in your mid-40s.

Actually it depends on the type of injury. SOme heal up to never bother you again. Joint injuries haunt you. For the most part I agree.

I have a gym at home also, its called SIX kids and a wife (who is 31 and loves.... ahem!) I will stop, she does read these!

Forum List

Back