Gutierrez: 'I Want to Thank' Obama for Bypassing Congress to Cancel Deportation of Il

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Gutierrez: 'I Want to Thank' Obama for Bypassing Congress to Cancel Deportation of Illegals

(CNSNews.com) – Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) thanked President Obama for circumventing the Legislative branch when it comes to immigration law.

Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code makes it a federal crime to be in the United States illegally. Nevertheless, the Obama administration in August directed federal immigration officials to use "prosecutorial discretion" in deciding which illegal aliens to detain and deport.

“We had a president of the United States that recently was speaking at National Council of La Raza who said during his speech, ‘There are those who simply wish me to bypass Congress when it comes to immigration,’ and many in the audience clapped, saying, ‘Yup, bypass Congress…’” Gutierrez told the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) conference on Monday.

“He (Obama) said, ‘But I can’t bypass Congress,’ and people in the audience said, ‘Yes you can,’ and you want to know something? They were right -- he could and he did, and I want to thank the President of the United States, and I want to thank all of those that work at the White House for issuing new guidance when it comes to deportations,” Gutierrez added.

Gutierrez: 'I Want to Thank' Obama for Bypassing Congress to Cancel Deportation of Illegals | CNSnews.com

Granny says, "Si! - good idea...
:clap2:
Amid record deportations from the US, Mexico urges migrants to head home
November 3, 2011 - But despite record deportations, many migrants at a shelter in Nogales, Mexico, now consider the US to be home.
Nogales, Mexico - Day and night, hundreds of Mexican migrants stream into this border city after being deported from the US amid record deportations taking place under the Obama administration. At one migrant shelter in Nogales, workers encourage deportees to return home rather than attempt to cross into the US illegally again, through the treacherous desert that spans both sides of the border. “There’s a federal program that will pay for your bus ticket so you can get back home,” Valente Camacho Terraza tells a group of migrants arriving at the center, which functions both as a shelter and transportation company.

But "home" for many of them is not the interior town from which they left, but cities in the US where they have worked for a decade or two, or sometimes more. Cuauhtémoc Bravo Guerrero, a migrant at the center who was recently deported from California, says he spent 30 years in the US. He has been at the shelter for days, unsure of his next move. “I want to go back to California,” he says. Most of the migrants get a couple days of rest and nourishment before deciding whether to return to their states of origin or head back toward the international line. Without money or family ties in Nogales, many accept the Mexican government’s offer, Mr. Camacho says.

But in the past year, he has noticed that a lot of migrants tend to stay longer – some up to a month. He attributes that to the changing make-up of the migrant population. About five years ago, the shelter was crowded with migrants – mostly men – who kept getting caught after crossing the border repeatedly. That has changed over time to include more women and children, who are housed in another shelter for minors. The mix now includes fewer people heading north and more migrants who are being deported after spending a decade or two north of the border, Camacho says. They linger at the shelter trying to reach family members in the US and figuring out where they might go next. “Things get complicated for them,” Camacho says.

In an outdoor waiting area, several men wait in silence. Most have just been deported after being picked up in Arizona, California, and other states. No one is eager to share names. Two young men say they were deported after spending time behind bars in Arizona. A middle-aged man who lived in the US for 20 years says he was deported after Phoenix police stopped him while driving with a broken side mirror. A few miles away, at the downtown border crossing, a Border Patrol bus arrives mid-afternoon with another group of deportees: a boy about eight years old, 23 women and 35 men who walk toward Mexico in a single file. Officials might try to urge them to continue heading south, but for many their roots are now behind them.

Source

See also:

Killings of US citizens in Mexico hits eight-year high
November 3, 2011 - But the US State Department report shows most of Mexico, including tourist areas, is safe, and the data reveal that US citizens are generally victims of opportunity, not specific targeting.
According to data from the US State Department, the first six months of 2011 represented the most deadly period of the past eight years for US citizens in Mexico. From January 4 to June 11 of this year, 65 Americans were killed in Mexico, a 300 percent increase since 2003. This figure comes from La Opinion, which gained access to a report compiled by the US State Department. As the paper notes, the actual number of deaths may be higher in reality, as the figures only refer to voluntarily reported deaths.

Still, the numbers reveal some noteworthy patterns about the most dangerous places, statistically, for Americans in the country. The report found that Baja California, Tamaulipas, Chihuahua, Sonora, and Sinaloa have been the site of most of the violence, with a third of the deaths occurring in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana.

In its most recent travel advisory, issued on April 22, the State Department also warned US citizens to exercise extreme caution when traveling to the states of Michoacán, Durango, Zacatecas, San Luis Potosí, Guerrero, and Jalisco. Nevertheless, the State Department warning points out that “there is no evidence that US tourists have been targeted by criminal elements due to their citizenship,” a reminder that attacks on Americans are usually opportunistic, and not systemic in nature.

Source

Last edited:
The Border is still wide open. And it's clear many in both parties want it that way. Always the votes. Always the votes.

Forum List

Back