Guns to be allowed on Texas campuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmdr Sheppard

Rookie
Mar 6, 2011
This is wonderful news! Colleges and universities in Texas are allowing students to carry guns now, if they recieve proper training. It's nice to know the system works from time to time. Now we need this to pass nation-wide. The bad guys already have guns, it's time we let the good guys have them too. Oh and before any liberals who want to ban guns come into this thread, you should know that you are six times more likely to get mugged in London where guns are banned) than in New York City, and that burglars claim that they fear armed home owners more than they do the police, and in England the burglar rate is 53% higher than America (which has a burglar percent of 13%): news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2656875.stm

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas is preparing to give college students and professors the right to carry guns on campus, adding momentum to a national campaign to open this part of society to firearms.

More than half the members of the Texas House have signed on as co-authors of a measure directing universities to allow concealed handguns. The Senate passed a similar bill in 2009 and is expected to do so again. Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who sometimes packs a pistol when he jogs, has said he's in favor of the idea.

Texas has become a prime battleground for the issue because of its gun culture and its size, with 38 public universities and more than 500,000 students. It would become the second state, following Utah, to pass such a broad-based law. Colorado gives colleges the option and several have allowed handguns.

Supporters of the legislation argue that gun violence on campuses, such as the mass shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007 and Northern Illinois in 2008, show that the best defense against a gunman is students who can shoot back.

Read more: usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-02-20-texas-guns_N.htm

This is wonderful news! Colleges and universities in Texas are allowing students to carry guns now, if they recieve proper training. It's nice to know the system works from time to time. Now we need this to pass nation-wide. The bad guys already have guns, it's time we let the good guys have them too. Oh and before any liberals who want to ban guns come into this thread, you should know that you are six times more likely to get mugged in London where guns are banned) than in New York City, and that burglars claim that they fear armed home owners more than they do the police, and in England the burglar rate is 53% higher than America (which has a burglar percent of 13%): news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2656875.stm

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas is preparing to give college students and professors the right to carry guns on campus, adding momentum to a national campaign to open this part of society to firearms.

More than half the members of the Texas House have signed on as co-authors of a measure directing universities to allow concealed handguns. The Senate passed a similar bill in 2009 and is expected to do so again. Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who sometimes packs a pistol when he jogs, has said he's in favor of the idea.

Texas has become a prime battleground for the issue because of its gun culture and its size, with 38 public universities and more than 500,000 students. It would become the second state, following Utah, to pass such a broad-based law. Colorado gives colleges the option and several have allowed handguns.

Supporters of the legislation argue that gun violence on campuses, such as the mass shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007 and Northern Illinois in 2008, show that the best defense against a gunman is students who can shoot back.

I used to carry a concealed handgun at college here in Massachussettes without a problem.

Then again it was concealed, I had the liscense for it, and I no one knew I had it......just like right now.....I work in the part of MA with the highest conceal carry permit per capita! Yeah Im in a MA town with lots of guns, its not all blue liberalism here :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clock Tower at UT
Lubies in Killeen
Ft Hood
Texas Schoolbook Depository

Just what they need

As an alum of a fine Texas institution of higher learning, I have fond memories of the drunks and all the parties that painted my experience there...

and I'm damn glad none of the drunks were armed.

Clock Tower at UT
Lubies in Killeen
Ft Hood

Just what they need

Yup if only some students had a gun to defend themselves and shoot those psycho's before the psychos killed more people.

Your right it is just what they need.

No armed student could have solved the problem at the Clock Tower - not even the special police forces called into handle the situation could. Someone needed to get to the top of the tower and tackle the guy.

I'm not sure an armed person could have prevented the Luby's murderer from driving his truck through a wall and opening fire.

And no amount of arms could have prevented JFK's Assassin.

Clock Tower at UT
Lubies in Killeen
Ft Hood

Just what they need

Yup if only some students had a gun to defend themselves and shoot those psycho's before the psychos killed more people.

Your right it is just what they need.

No armed student could have solved the problem at the Clock Tower - not even the special police forces called into handle the situation could. Someone needed to get to the top of the tower and tackle the guy.

I'm not sure an armed person could have prevented the Luby's murderer from driving his truck through a wall and opening fire.

And no amount of arms could have prevented JFK's Assassin.

And no laws could have prevented those murderers from aquiring guns. Do you think that criminals aquire guns through legal means?

I hope not.

did you see this?

Now, if only some school in Texas there would up the ante by offering weapons training classes.

More than anything else, this thread documents a stunning difference between the outlook of liberals, and that of conservatives...

For Conservatives, data informs policy. (“More Guns, Less Crime” and “Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’”- Coulter) We use Conservative principles to the best of our ability, but when confronting new and original venues, we believe in testing, and analysis of the results of the tests. For liberals, feeling passes for knowing; it is based on emotion often to the exclusion of thinking. Sadly, their 'feelings' are based on a low opinion of people, i.e.. that gun owners lack the control and judgement necessary.

The CDC has done extensive studies in this area, and this is what they found:

"The systematic review development team identified 51 studies that evaluated the effects of selected firearms laws on violence and met the inclusion criteria for this review. No study was excluded because of limitations in design or execution. Information on violent outcomes was available in 48 studies, and the remaining three studies, which provided information on counts or proportions of regulated firearms used in crime, were used as supplementary evidence. Several studies examined more than one type of firearm law.

The Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes."
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr5214.pdf

God I would hate to be a professor there talking to a student about why they failed his class.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back