Guns (firearms) & Ammo (maybe other weapons as well)

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
Not seeing a thread for the nuts-n-bolts of the this area's topics, here is one more focused on the mechanics.

Ruger LCP II .22 LR Ammo Testing​

By: Warren Gray

Copyright © 2021

“What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight — it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” — President Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1958.

“We could get twice as many hits in the same amount of time with the .22 LR. There were also fewer misses.” — Edward “Ed” Head, Operations Manager, Gunsite Academy, AZ, October 2010.

The ultra-compact, Ruger Lite-Rack LCP II in .22 Long Rifle was introduced in December 2019, according to the Ruger web site, as “a low-recoil pistol with an easy-to-manipulate slide that shoots comfortably regardless of your hand size or strength...as a training tool...or as a concealed-carry option.”

While many people mistakenly think that the .22 LR cartridge is not a suitable, self-defense, pistol round, Gunpowder Magazine published an article that I wrote on “.22 LR Self-Defense Ammo Testing” on February 11, 2020, in which I tested seven different .22 LR loads in wet, natural, modeling clay to reasonably simulate the terminal, ballistic effects of a close-range, shooting incident, with some pleasantly-surprising results.

The test handgun for that article was a Walther P22Q target pistol with a 3.4-inch barrel, usually chosen as my lightweight, trail gun when hiking in the forests. But, having recently acquired a Ruger LCP II (#13705) in .22 LR as a very small, concealment or backup pistol with a 2.75-inch barrel, I realized that it may be useful to test this tiny, self-defense gun in a similar manner, firing selected ammunition into wet clay blocks to visibly demonstrate the close-range penetration, expansion, and temporary-wound-cavity potential of each round.

While a 9mm or .45 ACP handgun is definitely a better choice for serious, self-defense situations, these weapons are usually fairly large and difficult to conceal, especially in the summertime, when we wear very light clothing for comfort. The Ruger LCP II is certainly small and quite concealable under most circumstances, and weighs a mere 12.3 ounces (only three-quarters of a pound) when fully loaded with 11 rounds of ammunition (10 rounds in the magazine, and one in the chamber.)

Chris Baker of Lucky Gunner wrote on April 29, 2020, that, “When we get into the realm of 12-ounce, pocket pistols carried for self-defense, something chambered in .22 (LR) makes a lot of sense...the LCP (II) easily wins the title for the best itty-bitty, .22 pocket pistol. That’s the gun you have on you when you can’t or don’t want to carry around a real gun...they don’t make a 9mm this small, and if they did, I wouldn’t want to shoot it...the .22 is faster (than the .380 version)...the recoil is negligible...I’m inclined to recommend (that) people just skip the .380 altogether and carry the .22.”

Jon Wayne Taylor added in his LCP II .22 LR review for The Truth About Guns exactly one month later, that, “One of the greatest features of the LCP line is that they are tiny. You can carry them anywhere, so you are more likely to carry them everywhere. That’s a good thing...While it’s small and might not be for every shooter, the big thing the little gun has going for it is that it’s possible for almost anyone to operate this gun safely.”

A .22 LR Ruger may not be ideal for self-defense against humans, but it’s certainly much better than a rock, a stick, or even a knife, and no one wants to be shot with any caliber. Statistically, an armed attacker usually flees the scene approximately 92 percent of the time, as soon as a law-abiding citizen draws a pistol, without firing a shot, but in that very rare instance in which they stand their ground, your tiny LCP II will have to suffice. Is it enough gun for a lethal encounter?

The .22LR is a good caliber for plinking and if you have to defend yourself in your home, you will have to hit a vital area or they may still come at you. My conceal carry is a .45ACP Glock. Despite my age, I still hit the target to ensure someone breaking into my home, will be bagged up and carried out.
As to firearms in general, the entire purpose of the Second Amendment isn't for hunting, plinking, or sport competitions and the .22LR is worthless as a defense weapon against tyrannical troops either invading our nation, or our nation becoming tyrannical. That's where my .308 comes in, should such a remote situation occur.

Behind the U.S. ammo shortage as gun sales hit new records​

(video interviews)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

How Long WIll the Ammo Shortage Last?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here Are the Reasons for the National Ammunition Shortage​

The reality behind the national scarcity of ammo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Federal Gives the 411 on the Great 2020 Ammo Shortage​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 2020/2021 Ammo Shortage
What's Behind It?
Are Industry Leaders Telling The Truth?

Couple more on the ammo shortage, and gateways to other websites of interest.

Can't Find Ammo? Why the Great Bullet Shortage Could Last Years.​

According to the weapons website The Reload, those in the industry expect the shortage to continue for years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's Causing the Ammo Shortage?​

Since the 2020 buying frenzy began, we are still asking, “Where's the ammo?” Whether for personal defense, range use, or hunting, fresh ammunition is in short supply. Here's why.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Truth Behind The Great Ammo Crisis​

Which leads to ...

The Truth Behind The Great Ammo Crisis​

Down in the "Garage" is a topic related thread on gun shows, so here's a link for ready cross references;

While many people mistakenly think that the .22 LR cartridge is not a suitable, self-defense, pistol round...
Next time someone tells you that, ask them if you can shoot them , just once, in the chest with a .22 LR...
Did you read the full article linked, to which I only excerpted the opening paragraphs?

No, but I don't need some study to tell me that getting shot in the chest with a .22 would suck enough to make me wanna' leave...

The .22LR is a good caliber for plinking and if you have to defend yourself in your home, you will have to hit a vital area or they may still come at you. My conceal carry is a .45ACP Glock. Despite my age, I still hit the target to ensure someone breaking into my home, will be bagged up and carried out.
As to firearms in general, the entire purpose of the Second Amendment isn't for hunting, plinking, or sport competitions and the .22LR is worthless as a defense weapon against tyrannical troops either invading our nation, or our nation becoming tyrannical. That's where my .308 comes in, should such a remote situation occur.
My preferred conceal care is a Kahr K9 - 9mm in a single stack mag. It's small and easy to carry tucked inside waist band. I've other pistols, but they are larger in size and to conceal carry I need to have a vest or jacket on. One of these is basically the at home ready top grab weapon.

I also have a few long guns, rifles and shotgun. My Mossburg 500 (12 gauge) with the short barrel is the alternate home defense. Just the sound of racking a round into chamber can be enough to give any intruder second thoughts about coming further.

Point of the article in the OP is that even a small semi-auto that fires .22LR can be effective for close in personal defense and also small enough for carry in warmer weather when one has fewer closes on, such as in a pocket.

I've an AR-15 in .223 which is only slightly larger diameter than the .22LR. Of course the bullet is longer and more massive and the casing and powder in it much more than you get in the .22LR.

A shotgun is the best home defense weapon in a family home. My significant other's son-in-law was saying to her that they were considering a home defense weapon. She recommended that he speak with me. I asked one question: "Are you BOTH going to practice regularly at the range?" He said, she wouldn't, but he would. My answer was that: "If she won't be practicing, but plans on using it, if it comes to that, then get a shotgun (.20 gauge or .410) and have her at least be familiar on how to handle and load it."

Behind the U.S. ammo shortage as gun sales hit new records​

(video interviews)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

How Long WIll the Ammo Shortage Last?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here Are the Reasons for the National Ammunition Shortage​

The reality behind the national scarcity of ammo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Federal Gives the 411 on the Great 2020 Ammo Shortage​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 2020/2021 Ammo Shortage
What's Behind It?
Are Industry Leaders Telling The Truth?

Most of those stories are spot on.

I'm sorry, but this "ammo shortage" thing is self-inflicted. Gun owners do it to themselves. Anybody remember the great toilet paper shortage in April of last year? It's just what people do in the face of uncertainty - hide, hoard and hope.

If you've been around the shooting sports long enough, say at least 20 years, you have seen this scenario played out before. When Bush jr was elected, gun and ammo sales tanked. When Obama was elected, sales surged until it was clear he wasn't going to get anything through congress. After the 2012 election, with dems having an edge in the senate and the house controlled by republicans, there was a minor surge. Until... until... Sandy Hook.

Obama saw his chance and went off the rails - demanding weapons bans, registration, tougher gun controls, etc.

This started in December 2012. For some reason, gun owners forgot that there was only a shaky coalition in the senate and the gop still controlled the house. This set off the worst round of shortages I've ever seen.

In 2008, the shortages were relatively mild as most folks were still buying at retail stores. The distribution channels stayed somewhat stable and it was all over by late 2009. I bought $25 bricks of CCI SV 22lr at Dick's in October of 2009.

However, by early March 2013, you couldn't find a round of 22lr to buy - anywhere. A lot more folks were buying via the internet and the channels were sucked dry rather quickly. By the end of April 2013, you couldn't buy an AR15 rifle, upper or lower anywhere. 5.56 ammo had risen to a $1 a round and 9mm was going for 60 cents a round. And no 22lr. Most of the small AR makers quit taking calls, orders or even checking emails by May. And that was the story for the rest of 2013. Ammo would show up on Gunbroker and Armslist for absurd prices and people would buy it - more or less keeping the situation unstable. I remember folks over at Rimfire Central trying to justify paying $15 a box for mini mags as the "new normal" or that prices were going up anyway. Idiots? Yes, but if you really wanted 22lr, that's what you paid.

By the end of 2014, 5.56 had dropped to 65 cents a round and 9mm was 40 cents. 22lr was still $15 a box.

By 2016, 5.56 was 40 cents a round and 9mm was a quarter. 22lr was back, sort of at $50 a brick. The ammo manufacturers had finally geared up with most running 3 shifts. With Hillary looking like a sure thing in 2016, new manufacturing plants had been built for ammo and firearm production.

Then Trump won. Demand fizzled. Prices started dropping. By 2019, 5.56 was 28 cents a round and 9mm was as low as 17 cents a round for Blazer Brass. CCI SV 22lr was down to $24 a brick. Ammo was available everywhere as were almost any guns you were looking for. Manufacturers had shed capacity and reduced production - the channels were backed up. Prices were below 2007 levels. Great time to stock up and my wife and I did.

So, here we are again and with all of the same old conspiracy theories and finger pointing. Yes, we had a series of events in 2020 that exacerbated things - covid 19, a contentious election, millions of new gun owners and crime being allowed to escalate. A lot of bad shit. But, here we are, a year later, and ammo pricing is still stupid. Why? Because enough people are still paying these prices and until they run out of money, this shortage and its associated pricing debacle will continue, We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

Maybe someone will trade a box of 9mm for a 12 pack of Charmin.

In keeping with the OPs original theme, is anybody building or planning a build of an AR9 pistol?

Interesting concept for a "pistol". Bit hard to wear on waistband as conceal~carry ...

A few hundred yards no way, 100 yards max maybe 150 yards on a good day. That round doesn't have the ass behind it to be consistent for a few hundred yards.

Forum List

Back