Gun owner paranoia---

While it is true that most people in those professions are on the left, I'm not referring to a system where either one would test each potential buyer. I'm just referring to a check on people's records. So, if someone doesn't ever see a social worker or psychiatrist for an extreme condition, he/she wouldn't be barred from buying a gun.

But mandatory mental examinations is what the Democrats are proposing.
I'm definitely against that. That's clearly got an agenda.

Good points. Hedging overall seems to be a bit of a rigged game though when considering what the Gamestop fiasco revealed.

Actually hedging is what stabilizes prices. In fact the commodities market was developed for that reason. If we have a drought or flood without the commodities market, the only way you might be able to purchase an ear of corn is to pay $5.00 per ear. That could go for any grain or livestock. Imagine paying $40.00 for a cheap beef chuck steak.

You must know different conservatives than I do then. Ray brought up some valid concerns with these checks, but if the criteria are limited to extreme illnesses, then why would a check be bad?

Because it would only be a starting point. If they could get away with that, they will keep narrowing the parameters of what is considered mental illness. It will eventually evolve into seeing a shrink for depression of your divorce will lead you into not being allowed to own a firearm for the rest of your life.
Good point. It does still beg the question though: what do you do about unstable people who legally get guns? I'm not saying all unstable people would commit a crime after getting one, but some undoubtedly would.

Good point. It does still beg the question though: what do you do about unstable people who legally get guns? I'm not saying all unstable people would commit a crime after getting one, but some undoubtedly would.

If a person has a serious mental illness today, they can't buy a gun. Adam Lanza tried to purchase legal firearms himself but was refused. That's why he killed his mother; so he could get the keys to her gun safes.

Good points. Hedging overall seems to be a bit of a rigged game though when considering what the Gamestop fiasco revealed.

Actually hedging is what stabilizes prices. In fact the commodities market was developed for that reason. If we have a drought or flood without the commodities market, the only way you might be able to purchase an ear of corn is to pay $5.00 per ear. That could go for any grain or livestock. Imagine paying $40.00 for a cheap beef chuck steak.
For commodities, yes. But hedging with stocks seems to be anything but stable.

Democrats: "We need to keep guns out of the hands of children, criminals, and the mentally retarded"

Republican Translation: Them damn Liberals are gonna take all our shootin irons away!! :mad-61:

Why are Republicans so paranoid about guns? America has more guns in circulation than they have people. A few less guns in the hands of criminals and children seems like common sense to me.
As long as there are retards like you around, there aren’t enough guns.

If a person has a serious mental illness today, they can't buy a gun. Adam Lanza tried to purchase legal firearms himself but was refused. That's why he killed his mother; so he could get the keys to her gun safes.
What legal restriction stopped him?

all ready covered, if someone is adjudged to have a mental problem they can not buy firearms. the problem is states don't report to the system.

all ready covered, if someone is adjudged to have a mental problem they can not buy firearms. the problem is states don't report to the system.
Reporting does seem to be a big issue in a lot of this. I remember the shooter who got dishonorably discharged from the Air Force who then shot up that church somehow legally got a gun, but it was because the Air Force didn't send his information to the FBI.

As long as there are retards like you around, there aren’t enough guns.

I know you meant that comically, but there is truth to what you say. The reason we need to be armed is because of Democrats. If we ever wanted to get rid of our guns, the only way to do that would be to get rid of Democrats first. Because we can't do that Lord knows we've tried, we need to have weapons to defend ourselves against them.

Sorry.......you do not understand anti-gun extremists........any mandatory psychological test for gun ownership will be used to deny normal people the Right to own and carry guns.......

We already have plenty of laws that deal with mentally dangerous people and guns.....we don't need a psych test...
This wouldn't be a test though. I'm referring to a check on mental health records. It would be similar to the check on criminal records.

Nope.......when someone is dangerously mentally ill.....they stand out....and have stood out........they can be dealt with by the police already, and we don't need to have a mandatory mental health check for all gun owners......that leads to left wing activists keeping normal Americans from being able to own and carry guns.

There isn't the "possibility," it is a sure thing.....psychiatrists and social workers will exploit their position to keep people from owning and carrying guns.
While it is true that most people in those professions are on the left, I'm not referring to a system where either one would test each potential buyer. I'm just referring to a check on people's records. So, if someone doesn't ever see a social worker or psychiatrist for an extreme condition, he/she wouldn't be barred from buying a gun.

And there is the catch.....1) you would have to change HIPPA laws.....which would allow the people to go through your medical records....and 2) Just having on your record that you saw a social worker or psychiatrist would become enough to ban you........sorry, not buying it.

You must know different conservatives than I do then. Ray brought up some valid concerns with these checks, but if the criteria are limited to extreme illnesses, then why would a check be bad?

Because it would only be a starting point. If they could get away with that, they will keep narrowing the parameters of what is considered mental illness. It will eventually evolve into seeing a shrink for depression of your divorce will lead you into not being allowed to own a firearm for the rest of your life.

The number of unstable people who get guns is so small that the measures you want are completely unjustified. The really dangerous already stand out....they have just been ignored by the people who are supposed to stop them.......look at any really unstable person who has used a gun illegally and they will already have had long histories of contact with the police and medical community...Parkland comes to mind......they knew the kid was dangerous...he had over 30 contacts with the police and the school banned him from being on campus...but it was democrat party policies that kept him from getting a criminal record that would have banned him from buying the gun.....the obama "Promise Program," kept the police from arresting him.....and giving him a criminal record.

The really dangerous already stand out.......we don't need to submit every normal American who wants to own and carry a gun to a mandatory check...because it will turn into a ban and confiscation regime.

But mandatory mental examinations is what the Democrats are proposing.
Who is going to conduct the examinations? Hank Johnson and Maxine Waters and Sheila Jackson Lee and Beto?

95% of the 'gun crimes' in the US are caused by negro gang bangers.

OK, poster 'dannyboys'......that sounds really serious.
But, before anyone here on this venue reacts........can you prove it?

I don't mean you personally hafta call the morgues or ER's......but rather, give us some authoritative sourcing that we can have confidence in.
And in you.
Based on percent of population ASSHOLE! Which is the only legitimate way of interpreting the data.
"But daddy! You promised us we could go shopping for school clothes in West Garfield Park today!".
Do you notice any similarities in these places?????????????????

Well, there's a lot of missing pieces to your story, but I'll ask what attracted you to East LA.

Traveling from WA to Tustin to visit two friends. Got off on the wrong exit in LA. I was supposed to get off 4th ave in Tustin, with multiple lanes and signs I saw both Tustin and 4th. so got off. Off at Safeway 4th and Soto, not a friendly place!
Sounds like you got off way early in Downtown LA which I don't believe is to be confused with East LA. Tustin is well south (in Orange Co).

Forum List

Back