Gun Disappointments

I thought this might make an interesting thread. If you have owned many guns, there are bound to be times you were disappointed in a particular gun.

My biggest disappointment was in a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle I bought in 2006. My idea was to use it as a coyote rifle. It was a lot cheaper than other .223 Remington semi-auto rifles. And I am a big fan of Ruger firearms in general. But the Mini-14 I got was a disaster as far as accuracy was concerned. I mounted an older Redfield scope I had from when I replaced the optics on a deer rifle. The scope rings provided by Ruger seemed secure and fit like a glove. So off I went to the range with 3 different brands of ammo.

The gun would not sight in worth a damn. I assumed it was the scope or scope mounting, or my inability to hit at 100 yards. I went home and bore sighted the gun again. Then I took a small gun vise I had with me to the gun range. I clamped the rifle into the vise, and put a 6'x8' piece of cardboard up at 100 yards. I figured that way I could see exactly where it was hitting and adjust the scope accordingly. My first 5 shot group had a spread on 9 inches. 9 inches! WTF? I put an additional sandbag on the clamp and got the same thing.

I tried a few more times but never got it anywhere near decent accuracy. The rifle was fun to shoot, and I never had any feeding issues. But a rifle that isn't accurate isn't of any use to me.
A coyote at 100 yards would still be killed.

A 9 inch spread for 5 rounds means one or two shots might kill a coyote. I expect much better accuracy, especially from a .223 or 5.56mm. My next attempt to build a coyote rifle was with a Bushmaster AR. It had a 24" bbl. I could put 3 shots on target at 100 yards. I shot numerous 1 inch groups, and few that were less than that.
Sell the mini. I have had them in the past, back when they were low $$$. Only bought for resale or trade. Rarely shot them.

I thought this might make an interesting thread. If you have owned many guns, there are bound to be times you were disappointed in a particular gun.

My biggest disappointment was in a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle I bought in 2006. My idea was to use it as a coyote rifle. It was a lot cheaper than other .223 Remington semi-auto rifles. And I am a big fan of Ruger firearms in general. But the Mini-14 I got was a disaster as far as accuracy was concerned. I mounted an older Redfield scope I had from when I replaced the optics on a deer rifle. The scope rings provided by Ruger seemed secure and fit like a glove. So off I went to the range with 3 different brands of ammo.

The gun would not sight in worth a damn. I assumed it was the scope or scope mounting, or my inability to hit at 100 yards. I went home and bore sighted the gun again. Then I took a small gun vise I had with me to the gun range. I clamped the rifle into the vise, and put a 6'x8' piece of cardboard up at 100 yards. I figured that way I could see exactly where it was hitting and adjust the scope accordingly. My first 5 shot group had a spread on 9 inches. 9 inches! WTF? I put an additional sandbag on the clamp and got the same thing.

I tried a few more times but never got it anywhere near decent accuracy. The rifle was fun to shoot, and I never had any feeding issues. But a rifle that isn't accurate isn't of any use to me.

I'd say you might have a 50/50 chance of hitting a coyote with a 9 inch spread.
Of course you'd probably just wing it and it would crawl off into the woods and die.
Not very humane.
I wouldn't have used a Mini 14 in the 1st place. Win Model 94 would be my choice.

Than why advocate for it?
I would never shoot at an animal with a gun that was that inaccurate.

Glad you got a Ruger. Hipoint being junk is an understatement. As a dealer gunsmith I never handled them, wouldn't stock them. "Oh but it's lifetime garuntee" Uhhuh, what does they do for you when you need it and the pot metal worse than China steel breaks

I only liked it due to it being a heavy piece and it having a larger grip (I have big hands). Everything else about it pretty much sucked.

Rugers can be a bit blocky too, the full size 9's. My paws are about normal, 1911 fits me just right. Larger Berettas too, also excellent firearms

Of course you'd probably just wing it and it would crawl off into the woods and die.
Not very humane.
I wouldn't have used a Mini 14 in the 1st place. Win Model 94 would be my choice.

Now who is advocating, me? I'm not the person that owns one.

Glad you got a Ruger. Hipoint being junk is an understatement. As a dealer gunsmith I never handled them, wouldn't stock them. "Oh but it's lifetime garuntee" Uhhuh, what does they do for you when you need it and the pot metal worse than China steel breaks

I only liked it due to it being a heavy piece and it having a larger grip (I have big hands). Everything else about it pretty much sucked.

Rugers can be a bit blocky too, the full size 9's. My paws are about normal, 1911 fits me just right. Larger Berettas too, also excellent firearms

Agreed. I have an SR 1911 now.

Not very humane.

You said it,not me.

"A coyote at 100 yards would still be killed."

Not very humane.

You said it,not me.

"A coyote at 100 yards would still be killed."
KMA. All you want is an argument.

A 9 inch spread for 5 rounds means one or two shots might kill a coyote. I expect much better accuracy, especially from a .223 or 5.56mm. My next attempt to build a coyote rifle was with a Bushmaster AR. It had a 24" bbl. I could put 3 shots on target at 100 yards. I shot numerous 1 inch groups, and few that were less than that.

That Bushy should shoot dime size at 100, fine rifles!!! Got the wife a "spike tactical" AR, she loves it.

I have a Howa (basically a mauser) 223, threaded, suppressed, Boyds stock, MKAr Leopould (made for 223) Oh my what a shooter. Twist is right for 50Gr hornady balistic tips. Twist very important with 223's and what weight is best bullet.

My Howa is my varmint gun, do my part and see it it's exploded.

I would never hunt anything that wasn't with the best it could be. May be varmints but they are souls and deserve quick, painless.

One of two things happened, either you got a lemon or your ammo was all bad, sitting for too long in storage can cause the powder to settle to one side and stick there (had that happen to me once with old WWII .303 ammo). I would contact Ruger and explain the problem even if it's been a while.

Customer Service

I used to have a Sig Auer 9mm (forget which model) that had an insanely long trigger pull. I bought it thinking I could adjust it, but I could get it nowhere close to what I wanted.

Aside from that it was a really nice gun, though...
I picked up a Polish P-64 years ago for cheap, #24 main spring so if one fired it often their trigger finger would quickly look like Popeye's forearms........ I replaced it with a #19 main spring from Wolff and that did the trick. Accurate though it does look like a rough copy of a Walther PPK.

iu

I vaguely remember reading about a barrel mount issue yrs ago so check and make sure its not loose in the frame,,
other than that the mini is considered one of the best rifles ever made of its class

mine is from the 70's and I cant miss with it and it will eat any ammo,,,

A Taurus titanium 357 magnum that shaved lead and the recoil and muzzle blast was deadly.

A Ruger SR-22 that was unreliable.

A Rock Island 1911 that was guaranteed to jam about every 20 rounds or so.

A Henry .22 lever action that would fail to extract a round after several rounds were fired and the firing pin kept falling out of it.

A Glock 22 that kept breaking one of the cross pins that hold the frame mechanism in place. Later it broke the slide lock return spring.

A Kel-tec 9mm that unless you had a death grip on it, it would stove pipe every so often.

That Bushy should shoot dime size at 100, fine rifles!!! Got the wife a "spike tactical" AR, she loves it.

I have a Howa (basically a mauser) 223, threaded, suppressed, Boyds stock, MKAr Leopould (made for 223) Oh my what a shooter. Twist is right for 50Gr hornady balistic tips. Twist very important with 223's and what weight is best bullet.

My Howa is my varmint gun, do my part and see it it's exploded.

I would never hunt anything that wasn't with the best it could be. May be varmints but they are souls and deserve quick, painless.

True. I believe a hunter has a moral obligation to make the kill as quick and as humane as possible. I have passed on many shots (varmint and deer) where I was not reasonably sure of a quick kill.

Not so much a disappointment but I have an M1A that absolutely hates military surplus ammo.

It’s perfectly accurate with factory ammo such as Fiocchi, which of course is more expensive.

We can assume that your Ruger performed poorly regardless what ammo you tried.

Huh, I've got one and it shoots fine. It's not "match grade" or anything but it's pretty good for off the shelf

Not so much a disappointment but I have an M1A that absolutely hates military surplus ammo.

It’s perfectly accurate with factory ammo such as Fiocchi, which of course is more expensive.

We can assume that your Ruger performed poorly regardless what ammo you tried.

I tried 3 different brands. It was the same with all, from good Federal ammo to the cheap box of Wolf ammo I picked up.

Huh, I've got one and it shoots fine. It's not "match grade" or anything but it's pretty good for off the shelf

I have no doubt mine was a lemon.

Bought an M1 Carbine pretty sure it was surplus Israeli the accuracy was beyond bad at 25 feet couldn't hit anything, tried to replace the barrel but when they rebuilt it they must have put the barrel in wrong it wouldn't budge. Thought about buying a new receiver but sold it cheap to my daughter's Father In Law after explaining to him that it needed a new receiver sold it cheap enough and gave him the new barrel so he could afford to buy a new receiver and still paid less than another M1 Carbine on the market. He never complained, don't know if he ever fixed it though.

Had an M1 Garand that was shit too. Both bought in the 2000's. Sold the Garand to a dealer along with 1000 rounds of ammo and 18 clips.
Can't own firearms anymore VA declared me incompetent to handle my money. Did not protest as I get almost 4 k from them a month.

My Therapist and Shrink are real glad I sold all my weapons. Not really suicidal anymore cause of the meds I take but it worried them I had firearms.

I bought a 45 Colt Mare's Leg that at the time was a waste of money...being neither fish nor fowl the thing wasn't really good for anything but looking cool.

But! Since it is classified as a pistol...I could carry it loaded in my truck in every state I travel to with my CCW.

Even Chicago, where a pistol length AR15 would be illegal.

Still mulling it over.

Forum List

Back