GREATEST children's movie of all time

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Any other Gen-Xers here who grew up on Jim Henson's magnum opus, The Dark Crystal? Admittedly, it borrows a little from Tolkein's LOTR in that the story is a small, shy humanoid who has to take a small but EXTREMELY powerful magical talisman on a dangerous journey into enemy territory. Where, if successful, he'll not only save the world, but give it a peaceful, positive awakening full of great lives! But when it comes to such creative, heavily-detailed "alien world building," The Dark Crystal ranks at least as high as Lord of the Rings in that regard! It sure blows away Jim Cameron's world-building lifeless, worthless, overblown Avatar (I liked Avatar's story better the 1st time I saw it when it was called "Dances With Wolves.") which is basically Dances-With-Wolves-on-Alpha-Centauri.

When I first saw The Dark Crystal when I was around 8 or 9 little kid, I was a fanatic about it for years. I used to constantly ask my parents to rent it for our VCR. Even today as a 40-something
adult, that powerful, ferociously epic climax in which the Skeksis & Mystics joined back together in a huge, flaring scene.....that STILL brings tears to my middle-aged adult eyes. What an exercise in sheer wonder it was.

Last edited:
Do animated feature films count?

If they do, then in my opinion, every Walt Disney animated feature from 1937 to 1967.

If they do, then in my opinion, every Walt Disney animated feature from 1937 to 1967.

Sure they count, as usual I don't have any specific rules or guidelines in my threads. Personally, my favorite animated children's movie was The Secret of NIMH, which came out around the same time as The Dark Crystal. It was a visually dazzling, beautifully choreographed animated film riddled with one of those huge, room-shaking, epic Jerry Goldsmith musical symphonies. Surprisingly scary at times for a G-rated children's film and Mr. Goldsmith's ferocious music had plenty to do with that.

Sure they count, as usual I don't have any specific rules or guidelines in my threads. Personally, my favorite animated children's movie was The Secret of NIMH, which came out around the same time as The Dark Crystal. It was a visually dazzling, beautifully choreographed animated film riddled with one of those huge, room-shaking, epic Jerry Goldsmith musical symphonies. Surprisingly scary at times for a G-rated children's film and Mr. Goldsmith's fierce music had plenty to do with that.

"Peter Pan" "Snow White" "Fantasia" "Lady and the Tramp" ......plus so many more! :thup:

Sure they count, as usual I don't have any specific rules or guidelines in my threads. Personally, my favorite animated children's movie was The Secret of NIMH, which came out around the same time as The Dark Crystal. It was a visually dazzling, beautifully choreographed animated film riddled with one of those huge, room-shaking, epic Jerry Goldsmith musical symphonies. Surprisingly scary at times for a G-rated children's film and Mr. Goldsmith's fierce music had plenty to do with that.

"Peter Pan" "Snow White" "Fantasia" "Lady and the Tramp" ......plus so many more! :thup:

I remember Disney's "Fantasia." It was a symphony tied in some ways to animated, colorful effects one would associate with ancient hallucinogens like mushrooms and peyote. It was certainly a unique, audio/visual bag of goods. Which also incorporated various Disney cartoons perfectly into the symphony.

Forum List

Back