Great idea here - Unplug from tech. for a day.

highTech

Rookie
Sep 19, 2011
ny
Great cause here -

It is clear that technology has quickly become a large part of our life.
But, don't you think it's gotten a little out of hand?

There are now internet addiction rehabilitation centers!

Let us pledge part of our day, all day, just a few hours, or even just one hour, on Sunday, Oct. 2, unplugged from technology so that we reconnect with the people and events that are important to us.

I'm a 4th grade teacher and I'm doing this with my students - what do you think?

Last edited:
Great cause here -

Let us pledge part of their day, all day, just a few hours, or even just one hour, on Sunday, Oct. 2, unplugged from technology so that they reconnect with the people and events that are important to them.

I'm a 4th grade teacher and I'm doing this with my students - what do you think?

Let us pledge part of who's day? The folks that are addicted to the internet?
How would unplugging on my end, help them ( whomever they are ) reconnect with the people and events that are important to them?

you would unplug - them being the people that are important to you

Let me start this post by saying welcome to USMB. Please, enjoy your stay here. It's quite a ..... colorful place to visit.

I used to be addicted to the internet so I know all too well the dangers of losing priorities when it comes to loved ones and responsibilities. That time I can never get back. I have since fogiven myself and have moved on, now making much better decisions when it comes to spending time online. In fact, each day I tend to spend less and less. Today though, I am bored out of my skull at work. Census is down, the office is quiet, so I came online.

I can easily pledge hours if not all day on October 2, so count me in!

Great cause here -

Let us pledge part of our day, all day, just a few hours, or even just one hour, on Sunday, Oct. 2, unplugged from technology so that we reconnect with the people and events that are important to us.

I don't pledge, I unplug more often than one day a year. Laptops, cell phones, etc don't quite look right in an 1860s or 1940s environment.

Great cause here -

I think it presumes that we have a life outside of the internet.

You've got to be kidding. My goal is to get more leisure time eked out of my busy schedule so I can spend more time online. I like something called Second Life, it's an online virtual world, but it can really eat up time. I'm never happier than when I'm working on a building project or something there. It's my recreation. And I don't get enough of it. I work from the time I get up until 11:00 p.m. at night or later, including outdoor time with my dogs, which is fun but an obligation at the same time.

Nah, I have no reason to disconnect. In fact, I think I'll try to make time for some online gaming this winter. : )

If it would not cause any life threatning situations I .owould just love to kill the net and cell for 24 hours just to watch the show.

then sign up to unplug! I'm a teacher and I'm influencing my kids to go online with their parents and sign up - obviously nothings gonna happen if you sign up and don't commit but it's a positive message

I have done it from friday evening to saturday evening for the last three weeks. It is seriously refreshing. I get lots of reading done.

i found this article very interesting about being obsessed with our smart phones and gadgets and how they are distracting parents from spending time with their children.

Smart phones hurting our children?

If you want lo-tech turn off the electric power and water and spend a few days in whatever shelter you can make.

F-BNWTlk0ZNHxjQe61bV81.jpg

Last summer (2010) we rented a house down the shore in Cape May. A 3 bedroom upside-down house with lots of amenities including wireless internet. A week before we were to leave to go down the owners called to tell us that the house had flooded but they offered us a condo in North Wildwood and a $300 rebate. We took it. Too small, too dirty, not the location of choice but . . . it didn't have internet access. That was the best part of that particular vacation. We all enjoyed being unplugged from the web for a week.

Great cause here -

Ya think? Anyone who isn't aware of this is blind.

I've already cut down my (leisure) internet time, though I'm less worried as I watch very little TV and almost all of that is educational (documentaries etc) - and this despite how the insanely ridiculous MTV/A.D.D. mentality many of them have adopted in their camera work (History Channel ad nauseum). Can you please not flick to a diff image every 1/2 second? It makes otherwise very interesting programs all but unwatchable.

i found this article very interesting about being obsessed with our smart phones and gadgets and how they are distracting parents from spending time with their children.

Smart phones hurting our children?

Thats kinda like blaming the gun for the murder

Its the parents faut not the "smart phone".

My 10 yr old is begging me for a phone, and I keep saying get job kid! :lol:

Spread the word about Day to Disconnect!

unplug [dot] unplugreconnect [dot] com/

Last summer (2010) we rented a house down the shore in Cape May. A 3 bedroom upside-down house with lots of amenities including wireless internet. A week before we were to leave to go down the owners called to tell us that the house had flooded but they offered us a condo in North Wildwood and a $300 rebate. We took it. Too small, too dirty, not the location of choice but . . . it didn't have internet access. That was the best part of that particular vacation. We all enjoyed being unplugged from the web for a week.

Last summer (2010) we rented a house on a lake in the beautiful state of Maine. A house big enough to sleep many more than just us four, so we had friends and family visit over the course of the week. The house did not have wi-fi, but we were actually part of a campground which did offer wi-fi in one of their buildings. I brought my laptop knowing I most likely wouldn't use it but I tried (while doing laundry). After ten minutes of just trying to log on to their wi-fi, I called it quits. My sister who was up visiting us for a few days, was freaking out at the house we rented because she couldn't get online through her phone. More times than I could count I heard her say .... "I can't wait to get back to Facebook!" I sat there shaking my head having been there / done that. I truly appreciate being 'unplugged' and find myself doing it more often each day. In fact, I've picked up a cross stitching project I started several years ago. One which I am determined to finish ... and soon!

Forum List

Back