Gray Lives Matter

Lee could have just stayed home. The traitor instead chose to lead a rebellion against our country.

Fuck him.

He deserved to get his ass kicked.

I can’t help but look down on people who want to tear down statues as shallow, uneducated, pathetic individuals that lead miserable lives.

Slavery was an issue and was made illegal a year and a half into the war.
Federal tariffs on the south actually exacerbated slavery as a necessary cost-cutting measure.
Slavery would have been obsolete within 20 years anyway.
No, slavery would not have been obsolete in 20 years. I know that's a popular belief, but it is flatly untrue. I hear that all the time from Libertarians in particular.

Cotton exports were the primary US export from 1800 to 1930. You can see from the chart below that cotton was responsible for 57 percent of all US exports when the war broke out. You will not find any other export which had as big a footprint nor one which was the number one export for as long a period. Go ahead and try.

cotton-exports-1860.jpg

The slave population in the South was 650,000 at the time the Constitution was ratified. This is why the South was agreeable to the compromise in the Constitution which ordered the end of the importation of slaves by 1808.

However, between 1790 and 1808, the English and US textile industries exploded due to technological advances including more than just the cotton gin. Everyone has heard of Eli Whitney, but few have heard of Samual Slater, "Father of the American Industrial revolution". This industrial advancement made textiles much cheaper, and thus greatly increased the demand for cotton. The demand for cotton drove the invention of the cotton gin, not the other way around.

The increased demand for cotton, in turn, required more slave labor.

So when the 1808 timeframe rolled around, the South began reneging on the Constitutional ban.

The slave population steadily and rapidly increased to the point that the slave population was 4 million in the South at the outbreak of the war.

Only a fool claims slavery was dying out.

number-of-slaves.png

This is why after the Civil War, Jim Crow laws were enacted to keep blacks in the cotton fields.

Slavery was an issue and was made illegal a year and a half into the war.
Only in those areas controlled by the Union. It continued until the end of the war. It was not officially abolished until the passage of the 13th Amendment.

Who is filling your head with this nonsense?

I can’t help but look down on people who want to tear down statues as shallow, uneducated, pathetic individuals that lead miserable lives.
I can't but help look down on people who say Lee was not a traitor.

A very good piece by Ann Coulter. She nails most of this.

Last week, with self-satisfied glee, savages tore down the 14-foot statue of Robert E. Lee designed by the French sculptor Antonin Mercie and installed in 1890 on land deeded to the state — in return for a promise that the Commonwealth of Virginia “will hold said Statue and pedestal and Circle of ground perpetually sacred to the Monumental purpose to which they have been devoted and that she will faithfully guard it and affectionately protect it.”
But Virginia’s supreme court ruled that the state had a “free speech” right to violate the deed. On that theory, no contract can ever be enforced. I have a free speech right to say that I will NOT deliver 20 pounds of bananas.
It’s not just “Southerners” who revere Lee, as his Wikipedia page implies. Franklin Delano Roosevelt called Lee “one of our greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen.” Dwight Eisenhower said Lee was “noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.” Even Ulysses S. Grant called him “the acknowledged ablest general in the Confederate army.”
The son — not grandson — of a hero of the American Revolution, Lee graduated second in his class at West Point, then distinguished himself in the Mexican-American War. Lee’s reputation was so great that President Lincoln asked him to take command of the Union forces against the South. But Lee was a Virginian and felt compelled to take Virginia’s side, so he resigned from the U.S. Army.
(For my illiterate readers and anyone who gets his news from MSNBC: That makes Lee the opposite of a “traitor.” A traitor is someone who pretends to be on your side, while secretly working with the enemy, not someone who loudly announces, I quit. My friends and I are leaving.)​
Among his accomplishments, there’s also the minor fact that Lee saved the country. Immediately after a bitter, bloody civil war, pitting brother against brother — four of Mary Lincoln’s five brothers fought for the Confederacy — the landscape littered with the dead, Lee ensured that the South would accept defeat.
When Lee surrendered at Appomattox, he was at the height of his powers, idolized throughout the South. The president of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis, wanted to fight on, telling his officers, “I think we can whip the enemy yet, if our people will turn out.”
But Lee, not Davis, held the hearts of his countrymen. When one of Lee’s own officers urged him to lead a guerilla war against the North, Lee remonstrated, “as a Christian people, there is now but one course to pursue. We must accept the situation; these men must go home and plant a crop, and we must proceed to build up our country on a new basis.”
In his biography of Grant, Ron Chernow says the Union general believed that “had Lee resisted surrender and encouraged his army to wage guerrilla warfare, it would have spawned infinite trouble. … Such was Lee’s unrivaled stature that his acceptance of defeat reconciled many diehard rebels to follow his example.”
Thanks to Lee, we became a functioning country again within about 15 years, instead of becoming Serbia, Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, Rwanda and on and on and on.
After Lee’s surrender, Union soldiers saluted their defeated foes. Erstwhile warring officers embraced one another. One Confederate officer said: “Great God, thought I to myself, how my heart swells out to such a magnanimous touch of humanity! Why do men fight who were born to be brothers?” When told of Lee’s surrender, Lincoln ordered the Union band to play “Dixie.” Years later, Grant spoke of his deep affection for Lee’s army, second only to that for his own men.
Never has a civil war ended with such love between the former enemies. That’s our history, our country, our war — North and South, black and white.

Utterly magnificent.

But Democrats are deranged fascists, and will stop at nothing to impose their lunatic will.

Multiple civil wars appear inevitable as the country descends into the kind of chaos which Lee sought to avoid.

Never has a civil war ended with such love between the former enemies.
Probably her most profound statement, there. She is probably right.

However

Just as slavery no longer exists, neither does that love. The love of the Confederacy for their conquerors was based on family and tribal ties and mercy. Would they have been so loving, if every one of them had been subjected to the death penalty or imprisonment? If you wish to thank one side for the "benign Reconstruction" ("benign" being fluid, depending on your skin color), then you can look squarely at the winners (a/k/a the United States Army), who were on the right side of ethics and morality and who showed mercy to tactically and morally inferior enemies. At the end of the day, still one side was on the wrong side of both, despite any hugzees or glad-handling for the sake of the greater good.

Last edited:
No, slavery would not have been obsolete in 20 years. I know that's a popular belief, but it is flatly untrue. I hear that all the time from Libertarians in particular.

Cotton exports were the primary US export from 1800 to 1930. You can see from the chart below that cotton was responsible for 57 percent of all US exports when the war broke out. You will not find any other export which had as big a footprint nor one which was the number one export for as long a period. Go ahead and try.

cotton-exports-1860.jpg

The slave population in the South was 650,000 at the time the Constitution was ratified. This is why the South was agreeable to the compromise in the Constitution which ordered the end of the importation of slaves by 1808.

However, between 1790 and 1808, the English and US textile industries exploded due to technological advances including more than just the cotton gin. Everyone has heard of Eli Whitney, but few have heard of Samual Slater, "Father of the American Industrial revolution". This industrial advancement made textiles much cheaper, and thus greatly increased the demand for cotton. The demand for cotton drove the invention of the cotton gin, not the other way around.

The increased demand for cotton, in turn, required more slave labor.

So when the 1808 timeframe rolled around, the South began reneging on the Constitutional ban.

The slave population steadily and rapidly increased to the point that the slave population was 4 million in the South at the outbreak of the war.

Only a fool claims slavery was dying out.

number-of-slaves.png

This is why after the Civil War, Jim Crow laws were enacted to keep blacks in the cotton fields.
Slavery would have been moot with the industrial revolution. Any residual slavery would have been a cost-necessary issue caused by the north’s total destruction of the south.
Again, slavery was a sidebar issued used as a legal wedge against the CSA.
Blacks were not welcome in the north. Their migration north post-war saw them relegated to segregated slums. That’s how the black redneck dialect sustained itself.

It was intended for the entire union including the secessionist states. Emancipation was used as a legal wedge.
The Emancipation Proclamation had ZERO effect in the rebel states not under Union control. Your claim that slavery was outlawed is patently ridiculous. Slavery continued until passage of the 13th amendment.

The Emancipation Proclamation had ZERO effect in the rebel states not under Union control. Your claim that slavery was outlawed is patently ridiculous. Slavery continued until passage of the 13th amendment.
Emancipation was created to make the south in violation of law. Remember, the north did not recognize the south’s secession. The war was fought to reclaim the south. Emancipation was drafted to apply to southern states.

The civil war’s scorched earth policy made any quasi-slavery a cost-effective necessity.
Again, re-read my post. The number of slaves in the South increased dramatically BEFORE the war. Because of the industrial revolution making the processing of cotton more productive.

Again, re-read my post. The number of slaves in the South increased dramatically BEFORE the war. Because of the industrial revolution making the processing of cotton more productive.
And it was destined for obsolescence through economic Darwinism. Any increase in slavery and productivity was likely a necessity created by excessive tariffs.
The Civil War was about federal oppression of the south, the south seceding to free themselves of that tyranny (very similar to the American revolution) and the north attempting to reclaim the south.

I don't understand how any person could accept slavery. Too lazy to do a tiny bit of work themselves I guess.
Sequel to "Roots": "Loots"

Slavery was punishment. People who act like wild animals need to be tamed. Whoever turned the savages loose on us has an agenda to destroy American civilization and replace it with slavery to the State.

New Topics

Forum List

Back