Grand Am bad gas smell

Papawx3

Dec 18, 2012
On the lake and in the woods
My sister in law has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am with just over 125K miles on it. It's had a bad smell of raw gas in it for months that just keeps getting worse. The smell is at it's worst when it's first started in the morning. As she drives it it's not so bad unless she turns the fan on, regardless of external temperature or whether she has the hear or ac on. When she turns the fan on the smell is almost unbearable. The other day I rode to town with her in her car and I had to roll the window down even in the cold weather. I couldn't wait to get out of that car.
Any thoughts on this problem and what we might do to solve it?

Most likely a fuel line leaking. I'd let it idle 10 minutes or so with the hood up, on a smooth surface and look for drips. While it's running, locate the fuel line and check all connections to the fuel rail and injectors.
Check under it frequently. A couple drops could give you a hint as to where the fuel is coming from.

I agree with Ernie.
It's either a fuel line leak or the fuel filter needs to be changed.
When was the last time she had the fuel filter changed?

I agree with Ernie.
It's either a fuel line leak or the fuel filter needs to be changed.
When was the last time she had the fuel filter changed?

Sil says that as far as she knows it's never been changed. Then again, she's had work done on it by a mechanic and doesn't know everything that's been done to it.
That car sits really low to the ground and I have no way of getting up under it to check the fuel lines so I'm just going to tell her to take it to my mechanic. I'm sure he can get to the bottom of it.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

My sister in law has a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am with just over 125K miles on it. It's had a bad smell of raw gas in it for months that just keeps getting worse. The smell is at it's worst when it's first started in the morning. As she drives it it's not so bad unless she turns the fan on, regardless of external temperature or whether she has the hear or ac on. When she turns the fan on the smell is almost unbearable. The other day I rode to town with her in her car and I had to roll the window down even in the cold weather. I couldn't wait to get out of that car.

If I had an '04 Grand Am that was doing that, I would:

- make sure my comp insurance was paid up...

- start the car and raise the hood...

- repeatedly throw in lit matches until the POS took fire...

- close the hood and remove all evidence of the matches... :)

It's a life or death gamble driving it. Sooo not such a bad idea.

It could be the pressure on a clogged fuel filter. I would replace the fuel filter and check the fuel line also.

Last edited:

It's a life or death gamble driving it. Sooo not such a bad idea.

It could be the pressure of a clogged fuel filter. I would replace the fuel filter and check the fuel line also.

Assuming there's comp ins in place, I would torch the POS, leaving no evidence,

and use the insurance check for the down-payment for a non-POS set of wheels...

Forum List

Back