Gov't Grants and such

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I've been on unemployment since March and it's about to run out, and I still haven't found work.

I've been told by a few people to apply for a gov't grant to pay off my credit card bill and possibly pay rent until I find work.
All the grants I have found so far aren't geared for individuals, only companys and charities and other countries.
Many of these "grant" sites on Google seem like scams. The ones that state they are a branch of the gov't don't state what branch of the gov't they are associated with. The ones listed on the federal gov't grant site itself has nothing for individuals needing monitary assistance.

Has anybody ever gotten a personal grant from the gov't to pay off bills? If so, where do I go to find these grants?

1657766910854.png

I've been on unemployment since March and it's about to run out, and I still haven't found work.

I've been told by a few people to apply for a gov't grant to pay off my credit card bill and possibly pay rent until I find work.
All the grants I have found so far aren't geared for individuals, only companys and charities and other countries.
Many of these "grant" sites on Google seem like scams. The ones that state they are a branch of the gov't don't state what branch of the gov't they are associated with. The ones listed on the federal gov't grant site itself has nothing for individuals needing monitary assistance.

Has anybody ever gotten a personal grant from the gov't to pay off bills? If so, where do I go to find these grants?

View attachment 670029
Ok. Check out LIHEAP. Federally funded.

I don't know where you are at so I can't "see" to try to help you and, frankly, I think it's too much to share. All states do things differently. Are you familiar with Homepage 211? Call them.
They may be able to help you immediately or get you started. Welcome to the world of paperwork.
Things you can do:

If you haven't already, apply for SNAP ASAP at whatever your state calls "human services" or "children and family". You can run a search for it on line. SNAP is federally funded. Food Stamps are there to help people just shoot straight about your finances when life looks better because if they overpay you then they may ask for that amount of money back. Make sure you get your caseworker's name , telephone number and email and you might want to get their supervisor's name and number if you can because people quit, become ill, take vacations and die. Real life, right? Just document who you talked to, when you talked to them etc. I say this because you may be given the wrong information because of a lack of understanding current policy or there was a change in policy.

Ask your caseworker for resources. Shoot straight with them and tell them what you need. They may provide numbers to places, charities or food banks that you may not have known but do your own research on those places. These places may have an interview process that takes place on the third Tuesday from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (example) and that is it. The charities may help pay rent or utilities.

Another thing you can do if you have not already is apply for section 8. There is a huge waiting list in most areas so you might want to ask about "vouchers". I don't know how that works except that I have known people to locate the housing on their own. Some landlords like Section 8 because they know they will get paid. Also, I have seen a landlord refuse to respond to the constant smell of sewage in a home. The tenant did everything to get the landlord to respond and did not want to start any trouble. The tenant was able to contact the housing authority and they intervened and the pipe under the house was repaired.

Hey, this is a temporary measure. Things will look up soon.

Ok. Check out LIHEAP. Federally funded.

I don't know where you are at so I can't "see" to try to help you and, frankly, I think it's too much to share. All states do things differently. Are you familiar with Homepage 211? Call them.
They may be able to help you immediately or get you started. Welcome to the world of paperwork.
Things you can do:

If you haven't already, apply for SNAP ASAP at whatever your state calls "human services" or "children and family". You can run a search for it on line. SNAP is federally funded. Food Stamps are there to help people just shoot straight about your finances when life looks better because if they overpay you then they may ask for that amount of money back. Make sure you get your caseworker's name , telephone number and email and you might want to get their supervisor's name and number if you can because people quit, become ill, take vacations and die. Real life, right? Just document who you talked to, when you talked to them etc. I say this because you may be given the wrong information because of a lack of understanding current policy or there was a change in policy.

Ask your caseworker for resources. Shoot straight with them and tell them what you need. They may provide numbers to places, charities or food banks that you may not have known but do your own research on those places. These places may have an interview process that takes place on the third Tuesday from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm (example) and that is it. The charities may help pay rent or utilities.

Another thing you can do if you have not already is apply for section 8. There is a huge waiting list in most areas so you might want to ask about "vouchers". I don't know how that works except that I have known people to locate the housing on their own. Some landlords like Section 8 because they know they will get paid. Also, I have seen a landlord refuse to respond to the constant smell of sewage in a home. The tenant did everything to get the landlord to respond and did not want to start any trouble. The tenant was able to contact the housing authority and they intervened and the pipe under the house was repaired.

Hey, this is a temporary measure. Things will look up soon.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm on unemployment, which is running out next month. No savings to live off of.
Been calling all sorts of charities and "help" orgainzations, only to be denied any help because they are ageist, racist, or have insane exceptions you have to meet in order to get "help" from them.

I found that LIHEAP and CEAP yesterday, but both are for groups or organizations, not individuals..........from what I understood from the info they had posted.

I've never heard of Homepage, so I will check that out. Thanks!!!!👍

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm on unemployment, which is running out next month. No savings to live off of.
Been calling all sorts of charities and "help" orgainzations, only to be denied any help because they are ageist, racist, or have insane exceptions you have to meet in order to get "help" from them.

I found that LIHEAP and CEAP yesterday, but both are for groups or organizations, not individuals..........from what I understood from the info they had posted.

I've never heard of Homepage, so I will check that out. Thanks!!!!👍
Homepage is 211. You're welcome.

Forum List

Back