Government Take-Over of Rental Housing

Advocacy groups see things only in their own way. With these issues my main hope is that they remain local. Regarding housing, for example, I'm not for those in Washington DC deciding where low-cost housing belongs here in Arizona.
We're experiencing a massive, nationwide affordable housing crisis.

What are some solutions that you'd support?

Poor people still spend money and contribute to the multiplier effect. Right-wingers simply appeal to ignorance and are willing to propagate any gossip, hearsay, and soothsay.
We really are seeing the absolute worst conservative behavior & reply right here on this thread; mindless trolling, myth-spewing, personal attacks & a refusal to even discuss possible solutions.

I always try to wear other peoples shoes. I look at it from the renters point of view, the landlords point of view, and the taxpayers point of view. You can't offer any solutions by being myopic and only looking at it from your point of view.
What do you propose then?
I've been a landlord now for 27 years. I was a renter 15 years before that. My rental property that I own now is a place I rented for 10 years before I bought it. Outside of those who own multiple apartment buildings, landlords are not getting filthy rich off their investments. Most of what we collect goes to pay bills. Renters don't realize that so they insist we keep our prices low so they have a place to live. Wait a minute! If we keep our prices low enough for you to live on, we can't make any profit at all. It defeats the entire purpose of making an investment.
So invest in something else. You keep saying how much thankless work you're doing - why not buy Crypto or something & chill on the beach somewhere?

Lake Superior maybe? :)

The idea of “on the verge” is a faked emotion.
Well, we're now IN multiple crises, yes, but "faked emotion" is meaningless.

The affordable housing crisis and eviction crisis are all too real.
If you are in housing then you are staying.
I don't know what this means.
There is no “verge” there.
There are multiple crises; some are happening now, some are unfolding.
If you can’t afford what you want then there is no verge there.
Housing is a basic human right.
Landlords charge what market bears.
The current 30% to 100% increases are unpayable; that's the unfolding crisis.
If your area averages $3,000 per month rent then the notion that landlords are “gouging” at 4,500 is nonsense and does not occur
Wha?
This is yet another in a long line of fake crisis designed to boost those who can’t cut it and punish the industrious who have acquired rental property.
Nonsense & fantasy; the affordable housing crisis, and the eviction crisis, are very real.

What will it take to wake conservatives (and liberals) up?

Meaning what? How long?

Absolutely.

The affordable housing crisis is real and massive - what do you propose?

Millions in homeless shanty towns?
Each family gets a plan to get them out of govt assistance. There is not a one fits all solution

Sure. Who felt sorry for us landlords during the housing bubble? I lost several really great tenants who bought houses for 0% down. Trying to find even a half-way decent tenant was nearly impossible. I had units sitting here for several months while I was losing a ton of money. It created a rental war where you kept lowering your price to get potential tenants to take your rental instead of the dozens of others.
Sounds like it's too tough a gig for you - have you considered the stock market?

No parking lots to plow! :)
We never insisted government give us aid during those trying times.
You're actually serious; poor investor!
It comes with the territory.
Too tough for some to handle I guess.
Now that landlords are making up those losses,
On the breaking backs of good, hard-working people while the non-payers walk.
all of a sudden we need government to come in and start price controls so we can't make up our loses.
You think it's a good idea for millions of renters' lives to be destroyed by unpayable rent increases for the *crime* of having killed themselves to pay rent all through the CovidScam?

You think it's in any way moral or decent or sane to make nurses, teachers, vets, the elderly, disabled and those on fixed income homeless because they kept you afloat for the last year and a half?

If so, I pity you far more than I pity the victims of this crisis.

I was being sarcastic as you and I are always on same page
I was a white privleged paid my way college graduate who is part owner of a weather company and part owner of a commercial and land real estate company. Mostly out of the real estate but my recorded voice is hear by hundreds of thousand per week in DC and in other cities we contract to. On my 25th birthday when I got married I had $2,500 worth of stock to my name and bought my first home. 40 years later been a millionaire + for last 10 years and bought and sold a dozen properties interjecting $ 50,000+ into the community on each transaction. Now live mortgage free in a neighborhood of 600k to 1 million
I did nothing spectacular other than to steadily and slowly build wealth and be disciplined and responsible
That used to be almost a universal American ethic but so much weepy bullshit has come into play that such ethic is nearly destroyed .
How about you?
You played your privilege card well - bravo. :)

I do agree with his proclamation that he “works harder than any of us”. Dishwashing is strenuous and noble but doesn’t get you a $2,500 per month rental and that’s just so unfair and government must fix it by robbing the better off.
Doubling down on the myths & fantasies...

Forum List

Back