Government Take-Over of Rental Housing

The second a politicians tell an individual what they can rent their private property for they have trampled the owners private property rights. There is no just a little bit.
you know the funny part is that the conservatives used to be the ones who spoke out against slumlords. Now you're doing your best to make sure slumlords can do whatever they want without regulation.

you know the funny part is that the conservatives used to be the ones who spoke out against slumlords. Now you're doing your best to make sure slumlords can do whatever they want without regulation.
Maybe. But that's not what the thread's about. The thread is about government becoming the slumlord, by making housing an entitlement.

Which is pure bullshit. We landlords face all kinds of regulations from federal right down to local. There are electrical government standards, plumbing government standards, appearance government standards, safety government standards (hand rails on stairs, smoke and CO2 detectors, cracked sidewalks) so it has nothing to do with not wanting government standards.

However when government tells us we must limit what we charge for rent, that's government telling us what limits of profit we are allowed to make.

You've provided NOTHING of substance or contribution to the topic in your post, but rather only trolling, baseless personal attacks and derailing.

Isn't it ironic?

Learn how to blog like an adult, then we can talk. Repeating the same bullshit over and over and over again is not a discussion, it's listening to a parrot.

I want my own castle!!

iu
Good grief, how many refrigerators did you buy?

Last edited:
Which is pure bullshit. We landlords face all kinds of regulations from federal right down to local. There are electrical government standards, plumbing government standards, appearance government standards, safety government standards (hand rails on stairs, smoke and CO2 detectors, cracked sidewalks) so it has nothing to do with not wanting government standards.

However when government tells us we must limit what we charge for rent, that's government telling us what limits of profit we are allowed to make.
Landlords who charge fair rent, based on the quality of their rental property are fine.

Ones who price gaugue and charge hundreds of dollars more than their property is worth, in order to exploit desperate people, should be shot

Like health care or access to health care, those on the left are currently calling housing a “human right.” The National Economic and Social Rights Initiative (NESRI) says, “It is the government’s obligation to guarantee that everyone can exercise this right to live in security, peace, and dignity.” The book, In Defense of Housing argues against what it calls the commodification of housing, meaning the same thing: everyone is entitled to some kind of housing.

Prediction For 2030: A Government Take-Over of Rental Housing By Roger Valdez

Yes everyone has that right in this country. But its each individual persons responsibility to make it happen for themselves. Everyone has a right in america to security, peace, and so on and to have housing, but its their job to make those things happen.

Americans dont have a right to be taken care of and catered to. Unless youre a retard or have some disability that keeps you from being able to take care of yourself. Hell there is a guy at a restaurant Ive been going to for decades that seats people when they come in, he is in a wheelchair because he has no legs but he can still work just fine.

So no, its the governments job to guarantee all have equal opportunity to take care of themselves, NOT guarantee all will be taken care of.

Landlords who charge fair rent, based on the quality of their rental property are fine.

Ones who price gaugue and charge hundreds of dollars more than their property is worth, in order to exploit desperate people, should be shot

So who decides what ones property is worth when it comes to rental and what they can charge, the government?

About 15 years ago my city forced all landlords to have an apartment inspection before renting to any new tenant. They've changed the fee as time went on, but it was around $200.00, and then if it passed, another $50.00 what they call an occupancy license.

They found all kinds of problems with my rentals because they haven't been kept up to federal, city and state codes. It cost me thousands. Where do you suppose I should have gotten that money from?

In any case I complained to my Councilman who happened to be a friend of mine. He forwarded my complaint to the Mayor. Off the record he said, the Mayor claimed that landlords are making too much money in his city, and it's time for us to share.

So I told him to relay a message to the Mayor for me. I told him I want to set up an appointment with him, have him go through my tax records which are done by a certified tax preparer, and tell me where all this money is I'm supposed to be sitting on. Why is it I get an income tax refund every year? The Mayor never responded.

You know, it's easy to sit back and count all that rental income, but try paying all the bills sometime. Try waking up at 4:30am to plow the parking lot and drive while your tenants are still comfortably in their warm bed. Let me know how it feels to be doing work around the place in summer and your tenants are off on a weeks vacation to Florida while you haven't been anywhere on vacation in 30 years because you spend all your vacation time at home catching up on projects you were able to put off. Then tell me how I should be shot for charging too much rent.

Last edited:
Housing is not a right but it is a necessity
Employment provides the resource to accomplish that necessity
Be responsible, go to work, find what housing suits your income and not the reverse

Housing is not a right but it is a necessity

Yes. The real question of this thread, and many others like it, is - should government be responsible for providing us with our "necessities"?

I think it's a terrible idea, the final step in turning the servant into the master.

Here IS what you said:

So what you said here is if I don't supply affordable housing, I should invest in something else.
Which, in turn, increases the cost of housing as the supply is not increased to meet the demand.

It is truly amazing to me that someone like MinTrut can literally hold the idea that you should take your investments elsewhere AND that prices for that commodity should decrease. It is a true case of doublethink.

The ones that 'price gouge' are chased out of the market.

That is, of course, unless you leverage the power of government to ensure that supply does not rise to meet the extra demand.

Which, in turn, increases the cost of housing as the supply is not increased to meet the demand.

It is truly amazing to me that someone like MinTrut can literally hold the idea that you should take your investments elsewhere AND that prices for that commodity should decrease. It is a true case of doublethink.

The newbie is a troll and just trying to get attention. Landlords don't buy rental property as a social obligation. We've had government subsidized housing for years. If somebody can't get that, it's something they are doing wrong because they supply housing for any qualified person. The problem is they may not be able to live exactly where they want.

I am not obligated to provide "human rights" to complete strangers.

Maybe. But that's not what the thread's about. The thread is about government becoming the slumlord, by making housing an entitlement.
Which is a complete fantasy.

Both parties are owned by the wealthy, and this wealth is heavily invested in real property.

The idea that the Democrat Party is even remotely supportive of anything other than the status quo in this regard is patently absurd.

What do you think can be done to address the massive crisis the country is facing?
It is truly amazing to me that someone like MinTrut can literally hold the idea that you should take your investments elsewhere AND that prices for that commodity should decrease.
Straw man.
It is a true case of doublethink.
Straw man/ad hominem.

Last edited:
Yes and good.
The idea that this will happen is a fantasy; the premise of this thread is absurd.

New Topics

Forum List

Back