Got bit by a brown recluse...

rightwinger said:
God knows they don’t have a clue at the ER on how to treat the bite

You are better off asking advice on an internet message board

half wit which is better than average for you, heh?

... hoping hard that the painful blister/sore is as bad as it will get.
Usually a recluse bite results in just a painful large blister/sore that takes as long as 6 weeks to heal.
But it can and will turn really ugly depending on how your body reacts. Unfortunately, you don't know how bad it will get till as many as 5 days later... then just like that... it gets real.

o_O:shock::hands:
How did you know? I'm not trying to be critical I'm just curious. I see spiders a lot.

Usually a recluse bite results in just a painful large blister/sore that takes as long as 6 weeks to heal.
But it can and will turn really ugly depending on how your body reacts. Unfortunately, you don't know how bad it will get till as many as 5 days later... then just like that... it gets real.

Amputate from orbit . . . it's the only way to be sure. Just joking. Please see a doctor ASAP and be certain to tell him it's not COVID.

Y'all are paying too much attention to the Doomsday internet worst case scenarios
I was bit Saturday Morning, it is now Monday Morning... the bite area is a little darker now, burns a little and itches. That is it.
If I went to a Doctor, they will tell me there is no antidote, use cold compress etc. and hope for the best.
Hopefully the bite necrosis doesn't go nuts. It probably won't... most don't.
But I will not know until several days from now. A recluse bite has a delayed venom response that is as long as 8 days until the worst appears. There is nothing you can do till it happens, if it happens.

From an actual Doctor who specializes in wound care...

Symptoms usually develop 2-8 hours after a bite. Keep in mind that most bites cause little tissue destruction. Initially the bite site is mildly red and upon close inspection may reveal fang marks. Within a few hours, the redness gives way to pallor with a red ring surrounding the area, or a "bull's-eye" appearance.

Go to the ER right away. I was bitten.. the whole front of my leg turned black.

Go to the ER right away. I was bitten.. the whole front of my leg turned black.
And do what? Talk about the weather?
They would do absolutely nothing, because they can't do anything yet.
I did the best thing possible for the early stages. I didn't do anything Sat. or Sun. ...sat on my ass. I religiously placed cold packs on it both days.
There is no antidote for a recluse. None.
If necrosis begins, I will go 100%... not an idiot. The necrosis is going to happen whether I go or don't. Nothing they can do now that will change the outcome one way or another.
It starts looking bad... I'm going, cause I will need antibiotics and better wound care than I can give myself. But until then... it is a ticking time bomb that will explode... or fizzle. Most of the time they fizzle.

And do what? Talk about the weather?
They would do absolutely nothing, because they can't do anything yet.
I did the best thing possible for the early stages. I didn't do anything Sat. or Sun. ...sat on my ass. I religiously placed cold packs on it both days.
There is no antidote for a recluse. None.
If necrosis begins, I will go 100%... not an idiot. The necrosis is going to happen whether I go or don't. Nothing they can do now that will change the outcome one way or another.
It starts looking bad... I'm going, cause I will need antibiotics and better wound care than I can give myself. But until then... it is a ticking time bomb that will explode... or fizzle. Most of the time they fizzle.

Management of brown recluse spider bites in ... - PubMed
Regression methods were used to evaluate the impact of the 4 main treatment approaches (corticosteroids, dapsone, topical nitroglycerine, and high-dose vitamin C) after controlling for bite severity and other predictors. Results: Two hundred and sixty-two patients were enrolled; outcomes were available for 189.

Management of brown recluse spider bites in ... - PubMed
Regression methods were used to evaluate the impact of the 4 main treatment approaches (corticosteroids, dapsone, topical nitroglycerine, and high-dose vitamin C) after controlling for bite severity and other predictors. Results: Two hundred and sixty-two patients were enrolled; outcomes were available for 189.
That's what I am saying... nothing they can do but I will need them to treat the wound if necrosis sets in

Forum List

Back