Got a hypothetical question about voting and how y'all would handle a situation

Let's say there was a system implemented in which after a vote you could have some election officials come to your home with a device that would let you confirm the vote tallied in official number is what you intended. Assume this system is effective and it keeps your vote and your identity as a person detached. Imagine it uses a checksum of a ballot ID and your vote to do the verification... Also, assume these can only be checked using special devices in these specific situations. Your iphone cannot do it. Now, let's also assume there is a rule that if a certain threshold of test ballots come back as not matching, this would cause the election results to be thrown out and for a new election to be held. If you knew or had a good reason to believe your candidate wasn't going to win, would you purposefully make it so the audit on your ballot would fail, and thus contribute toward forcing a new election to be held?
Why is this necessary? How could a vote be changed?
The ballots are bar coded to the voter's identity and scanned electronically.

Let's say there was a system implemented in which after a vote you could have some election officials come to your home with a device that would let you confirm the vote tallied in official number is what you intended. Assume this system is effective and it keeps your vote and your identity as a person detached. Imagine it uses a checksum of a ballot ID and your vote to do the verification... Also, assume these can only be checked using special devices in these specific situations. Your iphone cannot do it. Now, let's also assume there is a rule that if a certain threshold of test ballots come back as not matching, this would cause the election results to be thrown out and for a new election to be held. If you knew or had a good reason to believe your candidate wasn't going to win, would you purposefully make it so the audit on your ballot would fail, and thus contribute toward forcing a new election to be held?

Let's say there was a system implemented in which after a vote you could have some election officials come to your home with a device that would let you confirm the vote tallied in official number is what you intended.

The device will say, "You voted for Candidate X.....Yes or No"?

How is that keeping my vote a secret?

Good question! Design the system so only the voter can see what is input into the system. Not much different than how voting works. An alternative is to have essentially a reverse polling station in which people can go to confirm their votes in a secured location that offers similar protections to regular voting with regards to vote selling and intimidation.

Just require photo ID to vote. Much easier.

If you knew or had a good reason to believe your candidate wasn't going to win, would you purposefully make it so the audit on your ballot would fail, and thus contribute toward forcing a new election to be held?

And this. ^

What was your plan, run this "audit" on millions of votes a week after the results come in?
Or before they come in? Silly idea.

Not fair
Black people can not get ID's
Not fair
Black people can not get ID's
Sure...because, as always, black folks are "the" problem.

Vote counts can be trusted on a state and national level for a simple reason, there's no way to flip enough votes to make a difference without getting caught.
if you can stand in line at the grocery store you can stand in line to vote .
If I had to stand in line for hours out in the cold at the grocery store I'd be a pissed off SOB. That alone was the best way to depress turnout in certain places by shorting them on voting machines. Early voting and absentee sought to address the dramatic rise in voter participation in the last few elections but republicans fought it hard.
but you have no problem with people waiting in line for hours for something as trivial the new xbox or the latest i phone release

No thanks. I’ll go to the polling place a week before the election and avoid the mayhem I’m sure will be instigated by either side on election day

Forum List

Back