GOP Wins Race for Weiner's Seat

This Weiner business really exploaded in the faces of the House Democrats. No way is Weiner pressured to resign if they had not thought his seat was a given.

Last edited:
GOP political novice Bob Turner defeats Dem assemblyman David Weprin in N.Y. special House race to fill seat vacated by Rep. Anthony Weiner, as election result is seen as a referendum on Obama's policies

Curiously, Fox News did not spin this as a referendum on Anthony Weiner, but Obama's policies. Fair and balanced, no doubt.

could it be that jews are finally waking up....?

from the article

Weprin became embroiled in New York-centric disputes over Israel and gay marriage, which cost him some support among Jewish voters.

Orthodox Jews, who tend to be conservative on social issues, expressed anger over Weprin's vote in the Assembly to legalize gay marriage. In July, New York became one of six states to recognize same-sex nuptials

Read more: Republican Wins House Race In New York, Seen As Obama Rebuke | Fox News

GOP political novice Bob Turner defeats Dem assemblyman David Weprin in N.Y. special House race to fill seat vacated by Rep. Anthony Weiner, as election result is seen as a referendum on Obama's policies

Curiously, Fox News did not spin this as a referendum on Anthony Weiner, but Obama's policies. Fair and balanced, no doubt.

You don't think there are many many Jews who don't favor obie wan's treatment of Israel and Netanyahu? tsk tsk tsk..

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

But voter frustration over the sour economy and President Barack Obama's policies made the improbable a reality, as a Republican political novice, Bob Turner, scored an upset victory in a special election Tuesday over David Weprin, a Democratic assemblyman from a prominent local political family. The surprising results in the Brooklyn and Queens-area district portend a perilous national environment for Obama as he prepares to seek re-election next year.
New York Special Election Results: Republican Bob Turner Beats Democrat David Weprin In 9th District

Your right Fox News and the Huffington Post are just right wing hack sites, huh, No Mas?

Turner had 54 percent of the vote to Weprin's 46 percent in unofficial results.
Not a great margin, if Turner follows the hard line Republican party platform I'd be willing to bet he won't survive the next election and it'll be another 80 years before another Republican is elected to that seat.

I kind of hope the lesson here is that both parties need to STFU with the bullshit and start representing those that elect them.... be they liberals or conservatives.

And President Jimmy Carter – like President Obama today – appeared to American Jews to be anti-Israel. Remember Carter’s U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young secretly meeting at the PLO’s HQ in New York City?

So there was in 1980 – and is this morning – a toxic brew that is fatal to a Democrat:

1) “Disgraceful” behavior by a Democratic officeholder that brings shame to his constituency.

2) A deteriorating economy which sours the voters.

3) A Democrat president who appears to be betraying Israel.

Read more: Three Things That Are Toxic For A Democrat Running For Office | Fox News

MSNBC:

In a sharp rebuff to President Barack Obama, Republican Bob Turner won a special House election in New York Tuesday night, giving the GOP a district that Obama had carried with 55 percent in 2008 and which Democrats had held for years.

GOP wins upset victory in Democratic stronghold - politics - msnbc.com

Oops....... :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
I wonder how McCain/Palin did in that district in the past?

The past....how about the here and now?

Ahh the past, many fail to learn from it.

Interestingly enough NY-9 was one of the top MCCain districts in 2008, did not win but not bad for NY.

9th 43.92% 55.32% Anthony D. Weiner
United States presidential election in New York, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that did not format correctly but the 43.92% was for McCain.
NY-9 is obviously more right leaning than most NY districts.

But keep up the hopey changey :beer:

Well,

This should give cable news a lot of fodder for the next week.

Did you notice how fast Wiener fell off the map ?

Not a great margin, if Turner follows the hard line Republican party platform I'd be willing to bet he won't survive the next election and it'll be another 80 years before another Republican is elected to that seat.

Hhhhmmmm......

About the same margin as the last presidential race.

As to your comments about hard line politics, that could be said for most Republicans in New York state.

But it really does not matter. For the next fiftenn months, the seat is with the GOP.

The point being that this is yet another in a list of shifting districts (remember how much crowing Rachael Maddow did over the loss of New York 29...I think that is right....about how it was referendum on the Paul Ryan plan and how the GOP was going to get slaughtered in the next election cycle ?)

People might just be losing their taste for straight up party politics. I really don't know.

But....the seat is GOP for the next 15 months (unless this guy has a sexting problem himself).

Hhhhmmmm......

About the same margin as the last presidential race.

As to your comments about hard line politics, that could be said for most Republicans in New York state.

But it really does not matter. For the next fiftenn months, the seat is with the GOP.

The point being that this is yet another in a list of shifting districts (remember how much crowing Rachael Maddow did over the loss of New York 29...I think that is right....about how it was referendum on the Paul Ryan plan and how the GOP was going to get slaughtered in the next election cycle ?)

People might just be losing their taste for straight up party politics. I really don't know.

But....the seat is GOP for the next 15 months (unless this guy has a sexting problem himself).

Looks to me like a lot of people are finally getting fed up with politics as usual from hardliners on both sides.

strangely, that right wing loon rag, the new york times, spun it the same way last night, but they've gotten on board this morning, at least for their headline

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/n...-avoid-upset-in-special-election.html?_r=1&hp

A little-known Republican businessman from Queens, channeling voter discontent with President Obama into an upset, won election to Congress on Tuesday from the heavily Democratic district in New York City last represented by Anthony D. Weiner. ...

“I am a registered Democrat, I have always been a registered Democrat, I come from a family of Democrats — and I hate to say this, I voted Republican,” said Linda Goldberg, 61, after casting her ballot in Queens. “I need to send a message to the president that he’s not doing a very good job. Our economy is horrible. People are scared.”.

go figure

Forum List

Back