GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9

I don't think voters are up for amendments of any kind at this time. The vast majority doesn't trust politicians, and they especially don't trust media.

What with the mood the Americans are in after a year of Covid nonsense, I wouldn't shake the tree too much.

GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9 'before it's too late'
What a waste of time. The GOP have no power to pass anything let alone a constitution amendment. There’s our tax dollars at work. How do we dock the pay for these clowns?

Maybe you explain why we need 4 more justices in SCOTUS?
I don’t think we need 4 more. I think Obama got ripped off by McConnell but that’s history. I would support better defining the nomination process so that shit can’t happen again

What shit happened that you think needs changed?
The president gets to nominate justices. Obama should of had his appointment. This election year BS is exactly that as we saw after RBG passed.

Obama had his nomination, after that he has no say in the matter, that was up to the Senate where there were NOT enough votes for that nomination to succeed, thus just sat on it instead. Obama being a moron didn't bother to nominate someone else, thus nothing happened.

There have been a few nominations that never gets acted on, that is a fact people don't realize. Nothing illegal happened the whole time.

RBG herself stated there is nothing wrong with a fast nomination process.
Ok so I guess any senate candidate can just sit on the next nomination the opposing party puts up till the next election. Great logic! I’ll call it. #IdiotLogic

You failed to realize that Garland never had the votes to make it, that is why McConnel sat on it, Obama should have tried again with another candidate but didn't even though he had plenty of time.

It has happened before, I went over this in detail when Judge Barrett was nominated, I stand by my previous post.
Liar. That is not why McConnell sat on it. McConnell sat on it because he was not going to let Obama appoint a 3rd justice. He said so himself when he told Obama not to bother nominating anyone because they would not get a confirmation hearing. And his excuse was because it was an election year. Then McConnell does a 180 in 2020 and gives Trump's 3rd nominee a hearing and confirms her, not just in an election year, but about a week before an election.

Now while that was a bullshit thing to do, he was allowed to do it. Just like now. It would be a bullshit thing to add 4 Liberal justices to the Supreme Court, but Democrats are allowed to do it.

#PackTheBench

The Senate committee said so, McConnel went with it.:

"Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said holding confirmation hearings for Garland would be "a waste of time."

"In light of the contentious presidential election already well underway, my colleagues and I on the Judiciary Committee have already given our advice and consent on this issue: we will not have any hearings or votes on President Obama’s pick," Lee said."

=====

The votes were not there for Garland.
You can't lie your way out of this. Folks know better than you. They were not going to hold a hearing no matter who Obama nominated because they claimed the principle about not holding confirmation hearings during an election year. That was with a Democrat president. Once we had a Republican president, McDonnell said, fuck that principle, let's replace a Liberal on the bench with a conservative.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president." ~ Mitch McConnell

"I can now confidently say the view shared by virtually everybody in my conference, is that the nomination should be made by the president the people elect in the election that's underway right now." ~ Mitch McConnell

"The decision the Senate made weeks ago remains about a principle, not a person." ~ Mitch McConnell

"One of my proudest moments was when I looked Barack Obama in the eye and I said, 'Mr. President, you will not fill the Supreme Court vacancy.'" ~ Mitch McConnell

Politics is a pendulum. McConnell had his day to fuck with the system; now the pendulum has swung back to favor Democrats. Now it's their turn.

#PackTheBench

You are an idiot since I showed that the Senate Committee who had the Majority control said NO hearings, no voting for Garland, from post 39:

The Senate committee said so, McConnel went with it.:

"Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said holding confirmation hearings for Garland would be "a waste of time."

"In light of the contentious presidential election already well underway, my colleagues and I on the Judiciary Committee have already given our advice and consent on this issue: we will not have any hearings or votes on President Obama’s pick," Lee said."
=====

The votes were not there for Garland. "

======

I told the truth all along.
Then why were you harping on Obama for not nominating anybody else?

I tire of trying to help you here, go study the HISTORY of the nomination process, there have been a few nominations that simply gets ignored (told you this fact twice already), the President eventually produce another nomination that gets voted on.

That is WHY I keep saying Obama should have tried nominating someone else.
It wouldn't have mattered had Obama tried someone else. McConnell wasn't going to hold confirmation hearings no matter who Obama picked.

"One of my proudest moments was when I looked Barack Obama in the eye and I said, 'Mr. President, you will not fill the Supreme Court vacancy.'"

Now Democrats are in charge...

#PackTheBench

There a huge difference in republicans using the rules for approving a SC pick and democrats changing the make-up of the SC. Just like how Pelosi was able to force through 2 failed impeachments, McConnell was able to prevent O'biden from filling a SC seat in his last year. It was a risk for both sides, many thought more of a risk for republicans since few thought TRUMP could win and if he didn't, Hillary would be able to nominate someone more radical then Garland.
I already said McConnell was allowed to pull the stunt he pulled. Just like Democrats are allowed to pack the Supreme Court now, if they so choose. I get you don't like a stunt like that. I understand as I didn't like the stunt McConnell pulled. You'll just have to deal with it.

#PackTheBench
Good point.

However, the tides do turn....and that means there will be GOP retaliation.....and that is good for no-one.
That's correct, the tide will turn at some point. So what do you suggest Democrats do? Take it on the chin and do nothing with that bench, hoping Republicans don't pull more stunts like that in the future?
I suggest they keep the Supreme Court as it has been for decades.
So "take it on the chin and hope Republicans don't pull a stunt likebthis again," is your answer.

I disagree.

#PackTheBench
I simply said leave it as it has been for decades.

Your distrust for politicians is your distrust for politicians. I did not read it that way so I prefer you take my statement as it is.

Changing the Constitution is incredibly difficult, as it should be.

Odds are the Republicans will never get such an amendment passed.

Just as the odds are equally slim that the democrats would get an amendment passed which would allow them to pack the court...

They don't need an amendment to change the number of Justices. That is done merely by statute.

They will not get the 60 votes needed in the Senate. This idea is DOA!

I don't think voters are up for amendments of any kind at this time. The vast majority doesn't trust politicians, and they especially don't trust media.

What with the mood the Americans are in after a year of Covid nonsense, I wouldn't shake the tree too much.

GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9 'before it's too late'

Now that the GOP has packed all of the courts with conservatives picked by the dark money at the Federalist society, they want to freeze the SC. It'll never pass the House or Senate, and it would never be ratified by the States.

Not to mention, Republicans won't be able to get jack shit done as their donors desert the party. The Party of white supremacy and Donald Trump has lost the confidence of the American people.
A president exercising his constitutional responsibility to choose judges is not packing the court. Its a president exercising his constitutional responsibility.

You really seem to be unaware of how the constitution works and how it is applied to elected officials. So you are really not qualified to debate this topic.

Just as the odds are equally slim that the democrats would get an amendment passed which would allow them to pack the court...

They don't need an amendment to change the number of Justices. That is done merely by statute.

Bear in mind...there is the discussion of eliminating the filibuster......that will be the first thing on the docket.

We are treading very dangerous waters right now.

/----/ Why the F didn't they do this when they had control of all three branches?

They had no idea the Dems were going to be in a position try to pack the Supreme Court!

Bear in mind...there is the discussion of eliminating the filibuster......that will be the first thing on the docket.

We are treading very dangerous waters right now.

Manchin and Sinema have already stated they will not vote to end the filibuster. The Dems are stuck with what they have.

What a waste of time. The GOP have no power to pass anything let alone a constitution amendment. There’s our tax dollars at work. How do we dock the pay for these clowns?

Let's hope neither happen.
MAGA

Maybe you explain why we need 4 more justices in SCOTUS?
I don’t think we need 4 more. I think Obama got ripped off by McConnell but that’s history. I would support better defining the nomination process so that shit can’t happen again

What shit happened that you think needs changed?
The president gets to nominate justices. Obama should of had his appointment. This election year BS is exactly that as we saw after RBG passed.

Obama had his nomination, after that he has no say in the matter, that was up to the Senate where there were NOT enough votes for that nomination to succeed, thus just sat on it instead. Obama being a moron didn't bother to nominate someone else, thus nothing happened.

There have been a few nominations that never gets acted on, that is a fact people don't realize. Nothing illegal happened the whole time.

RBG herself stated there is nothing wrong with a fast nomination process.
Ok so I guess any senate candidate can just sit on the next nomination the opposing party puts up till the next election. Great logic! I’ll call it. #IdiotLogic

You failed to realize that Garland never had the votes to make it, that is why McConnel sat on it, Obama should have tried again with another candidate but didn't even though he had plenty of time.

It has happened before, I went over this in detail when Judge Barrett was nominated, I stand by my previous post.

If they knew he didn't have the votes to be confirmed, and he did not, why not put it on the floor to be voted on?
MAGA

Forum List

Back