GOP Loves Black People?

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I'm speechless.....This is from The Nation..:(

BLOG | Posted 09/08/2006 @ 2:17pm
GOP Loves Black People?
Adam Howard

Has the Republican Party suddenly caught a case of jungle fever? This year Republicans will most likely run three African-Americans in statewide elections: Kenneth Blackwell (for governor in Ohio), former NFL star Lynn Swann (for governor in Pennsylvania) and Maryland Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele, who is seen as the frontrunner for the Republican Senate nomination there.

In a country where there is currently only one African-American Senator (Illinois' Barack Obama) and only one African-American has ever been elected governor of a state (Virginia's Doug Wilder) this seems like a risk for the GOP and its standard-bearers.

Perhaps President Bush was being sincere in one of his more candid speeches to the NAACP this summer, when he spoke about his party's need to embrace black voters and black issues. But some pundits have suggested that the recruiting of these candidates is a desperate attempt to siphon off black votes from Democratic candidates in swing states.

While race is supposed to be an integral part of these candidates' appeal, their campaign policies are antagonistic to significant portions of the black community who tend to be fiscally and socially liberal. Swann, a total novice when it comes to politics, has made tort reform, the reduction of food stamps and welfare reform cornerstones of his campaign. Steele, who won a major speaking spot at the last Republican convention, recently refused to rebuke Republican Governor Bob Ehrlich's appearance at an all-white golf club. "I don't know much about the club, the membership," said Steele, "nor do I care, quite frankly, because I don't play golf."

The most notorious of the three is Blackwell, who allegedly carries a Bible with him to all his campaign stops. Blackwell opposes abortion even when the mother's life is in jeopardy and supports a Constitutional amendment to limit government. However, the most egregious of his offenses was his role in disenfranchising thousands of voters, many of them black, during the 2004 election as Chief Elections Official in Ohio, while simultaneously serving as co-chair of the Committee to re-elect George W. Bush.

African-American progressives have reason to celebrate the rise of minorities in modern politics, but they should be skeptical about supporting these three stooges.

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?bid=15&pid=119422

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Perhaps President Bush was being sincere in one of his more candid speeches to the NAACP this summer, when he spoke about his party's need to embrace black voters and black issues. But some pundits have suggested that the recruiting of these candidates is a desperate attempt to siphon off black votes from Democratic candidates in swing states.

Anyone else catch the irony in this paragraph. Couldn't the recruiting of these candidates be the GOP embracing black voters and black issues?

The only time the GOP cares about black voters is at election time. The rest of the time, they're on their own.

Whether or not you meant to, you just hit the nail right on the head, Bully. The GOP invites black voters to be on their own, rather than remain imprisoned by cradle-to-grave government largesse. In other words, Democrats wish to hatefully exploit them; Republicans encourage them to participate in the American Dream.

I dont know how well Swann is really going to do. The campaign has no energy. Its like they arent even really trying. I have yet to hear one ad yet. Its really messed up because I think Swann could take Rendell if he just campaigned.

The only time the GOP cares about black voters is at election time. The rest of the time, they're on their own.

You mean we should expect them to have to WORK an actual JOB for their money? Man, that is racist.... :gang1: They really should just be sitting on their asses, claiming they're so OPPRESSED, and collect a check, while the rest of us, and the SMART ones of their race (and other races), suck it up, quit bitching, go to work, pay the bills, feed the family, go to bed, and get up to do it again the next day.

Stephanie, your post is intended to highlight the bizarre use of the phrase "jungle fever", right?

It's a phrase used in the past to derogate blacks.

What's next, "Does the Republican party have natural rhythm?"

"Do the Republicans smell funky?"

Gimme a break, how did that get past the editor?

Stephanie, your post is intended to highlight the bizarre use of the phrase "jungle fever", right?

All of which points up my long-held belief that denigrating blacks is what the left DOES. And - in unguarded moments - brought on by outrage that their true contempt might actually be exposed - it creeps into their WRITING...as we see.

I dont know how well Swann is really going to do. The campaign has no energy. Its like they arent even really trying. I have yet to hear one ad yet. Its really messed up because I think Swann could take Rendell if he just campaigned.

I was thinking that as well but then i realized. We live in or around Philly. There's pretty much no shot in hell that philly will vote for ANY Republican period. Add to that that most people dont pay any attention to politics till about October and then you have your answer. I'm expecting to see more Swann Ads in the weeks to come. They probably didnt want to waste much money on Philly since it was almost a lost cause. The people there are too stupid to be saved. If they can convert a large chunk of Pittsburgh on his Steeler cred then that might turn the state.

Yes nuc, that was my point of the post...
I was shocked...
It's almost like they're calling black people a monkey..
And then ripping into the black Republicans running for office ........

Yes nuc, that was my point of the post...
I was shocked...
It's almost like they're calling black people a monkey..
And then ripping into the black Republicans running for office ........

I'm not a black or a Republican, but I can relate to black Republicans better than to most black Non Republicans. At least they are talking about self reliance. The Democrats would like to keep the Blacks on their nipple permanently but the nipple has dried up.

All of which points up my long-held belief that denigrating blacks is what the left DOES. And - in unguarded moments - brought on by outrage that their true contempt might actually be exposed - it creeps into their WRITING...as we see.
And it is shouted into their legislation. After losing the Civil War for slavery, the Democrats took another, more sly tack at denigrating the black man: they made him dependent on them. And it was very successful. By cow towing to blacks, the Democrats have kept them poor, undereducated, fatherless and futureless, and elevated themselves to elite status. The most egregious example of this is Senator Robert Byrd, formerly KKK, now a life-long Senator, revered as "the conscious of the Senate".

I was thinking that as well but then i realized. We live in or around Philly. There's pretty much no shot in hell that philly will vote for ANY Republican period. Add to that that most people dont pay any attention to politics till about October and then you have your answer. I'm expecting to see more Swann Ads in the weeks to come. They probably didnt want to waste much money on Philly since it was almost a lost cause. The people there are too stupid to be saved. If they can convert a large chunk of Pittsburgh on his Steeler cred then that might turn the state.

I dont think Philly is a lost cause. I think there are a number of Blacks in Philly who care more about racial support then voting Democrat down the line. I also think there are alot of people sick and tired of Rendell. I dont think efforts should be wasted. Fact is he isnt polling well and isnt doing anything to change it.

Forum List

Back