GOP 'Getting Pelosi'

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I can well understand the temptation, especially in light of the newest rendition of 'embarrassing' Bush. However, I think this could easily come back to bite those that practice such:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0207/2938.html

Republicans Set to Block Jefferson’s Appointment to Homeland Security Panel
By: Patrick O'Connor
February 28, 2007 01:36 PM EST

Republicans plan to force a floor vote on Rep. William Jefferson's move to the Homeland Security Committee in an unprecedented maneuver to force Democrats to go on the record supporting their embattled colleague who is the target of a federal bribery investigation.

House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) pledged to call for a recorded vote on the House floor when Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) introduces a resolution to make the Jefferson move official.

Pelosi removed Jefferson from the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee in response to Justice Department allegations that the Louisiana Democrat had accepted $100,000 in bribes and stored $90,000 of them in his freezer. The speaker then gave Jefferson a seat on the Homeland Security, and Democrats agreed to the change in a closed-door caucus in February.

"The idea that Homeland Security is less important than the tax-writing committee is ludicrous," Blunt said Wednesday.

Asked about Jefferson on CNN’s Larry King Live Tuesday, the speaker said Homeland Security was a good spot for him because his New Orleans congressional district was decimated by Hurricane Katrina.

It is extremely rare for either party to block the other's committee assignments. Most, in fact, are usually approved on the floor by unanimous consent. But Republicans are confident they can block Jefferson's committee assignment with the help of Democrats who would be reluctant to support him.

Republicans should block him. He was filmed taking a bribe, they found $90,000 cash in his freezer, and when he ignored countless court orders for records the Feds had to raid his office

He should not be serving on any Committee until these issues are cleared up

Lets not forget this gem. Where was all the outrage from the left on these actions?

Perhaps he had to remove evidence from his home and could not wait?

Amid Katrina Chaos, Congressman Used National Guard to Visit Home

Sept. 13, 2005 — Amid the chaos and confusion that engulfed New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina struck, a congressman used National Guard troops to check on his property and rescue his personal belongings — even while New Orleans residents were trying to get rescued from rooftops, ABC News has learned.

On Sept. 2 — five days after Katrina hit the Gulf Coast — Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., who represents New Orleans and is a senior member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee, was allowed through the military blockades set up around the city to reach the Superdome, where thousands of evacuees had been taken.

Military sources tells ABC News that Jefferson, an eight-term Democratic congressman, asked the National Guard that night to take him on a tour of the flooded portions of his congressional district. A five-ton military truck and a half dozen military police were dispatched.

Lt. Col. Pete Schneider of the Louisiana National Guard tells ABC News that during the tour, Jefferson asked that the truck take him to his home on Marengo Street, in the affluent uptown neighborhood in his congressional district. According to Schneider, this was not part of Jefferson's initial request.

For the complete article:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneKatrina/story?id=1123495&page=1

RSR, I still think it's a bad idea. What goes around, comes around. Now, making hay out of his 'possible' crime, that's a given.

RSR, I still think it's a bad idea. What goes around, comes around. Now, making hay out of his 'possible' crime, that's a given.

But to have this crook in a position of power? And what happend to Screecher Belosi's promise to "run the most ethical Congress in history"?

If they block him because of the "possible" crime it will not hurt them. If they block him out of spite - that is another thing all together

But to have this crook in a position of power? And what happend to Screecher Belosi's promise to "run the most ethical Congress in history"?

If they block him because of the "possible" crime it will not hurt them. If they block him out of spite - that is another thing all together
Now that is something to rant about. It's politics and these are glass houses.

Now that is something to rant about. It's politics and these are glass houses.

I hope they do. However, the liberal media wil bellow how the big bad Republicans are ganging up on a women and a black Congressmen. They will ask "Is this both a racist and a sexist action?"

I hope they do. However, the liberal media wil bellow how the big bad Republicans are ganging up on a women and a black Congressmen. They will ask "Is this both a racist and a sexist action?"

Just like the whining about Cheney, the press really will make more fun of that than the other. On the other hand, stopping or exploiting Jefferson's seat, will lead to the same, down the road.

Just like the whining about Cheney, the press really will make more fun of that than the other. On the other hand, stopping or exploiting Jefferson's seat, will lead to the same, down the road.

Not to change topics, but two days ago the NY Slimes whined why VP Cheney is being so quiet about his travels

Then the terrorists try to kill him, and the NY Slimes ignores their own rants against Mr Cheney. Am I not surprised no apology has been given?

Not to change topics, but two days ago the NY Slimes whined why VP Cheney is being so quiet about his travels

Then the terrorists try to kill him, and the NY Slimes ignores their own rants against Mr Cheney. Am I not surprised no apology has been given?

Yes, I know. At the same time, they did honor non-disclosure, whining all the while. After the bombing, they got rid of the whine.

Forum List

Back